FZ300.. Full-size out-of-camera jpgs (Pt.1)

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Sue Anne Rush
Sue Anne Rush Senior Member • Posts: 4,117
Re: FZ300.. Full-size out-of-camera jpgs (Pt.1)

jlina wrote:

Those are great Porot! And exactly what I would expect at sunset. My camera however would have made it look dark not still light. and since it was questioned recently about my abilities yes I was able to choose my time zone on it!

This is actually an hour or so before sunset, the dog did not focus and I literally had the box to focus it on his nose.

I have always thought that I got a bad camera. B&H actually asked me to send it back after viewing the photos. Hope you're enjoying your small Forest!

Nice golden light and that dog is so cute. 

-- hide signature --

Sue Anne Rush

Sue Anne Rush's gear list:Sue Anne Rush's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Canon EOS 7D
jlina
jlina Senior Member • Posts: 1,925

Thank you

-- hide signature --

jlina

jlina

Hey, thank you so much Paul!  Yes I read it increases contrast and looked at the descriptions on the curves... but now I see what that means.  Appreciate it!  Just took some minus ev of clouds...but I see how this could be better in terms of blackest blacks and whitest whites.  Take care

-- hide signature --

jlina

jlina
Re: Birds - distance

Hi, Mike!

The seagull was the right distance, it was just a stormy day - wrong time for the concept lol!  Thanks for these - I was wondering how you get 15' from a bird

-- hide signature --

jlina

jlina
Re: First prod into Highlights Shadows FZ1000ii

See any leading lines??  Thank so much Jon!  I was secretly hoping you'd do your magic but didn't want to impose.  Can you tell me what you did?  Appreciate it!

-- hide signature --

jlina

Mikedigi
Mikedigi Forum Pro • Posts: 11,150
Re: Birds - distance - and Highlights Shadows on FZ330

jlina wrote:

Hi, Mike!

The seagull was the right distance, it was just a stormy day - wrong time for the concept lol! Thanks for these - I was wondering how you get 15' from a bird

The detail on the seagull isn't bad considering the distance and light.

LOL . . . . Jenny got much too close to a seagull once. She was sitting next to me at the seaside, about to eat a hot sausage roll, waiting for it to cool down enough.

The seagull, from behind us, flew low over Jenny's left shoulder and took the whole sausage roll out of her hand.

It landed about 12 feet away in front of us, and slowly but surely swallowed the whole hot sausage roll in one piece. I could hardly believe it. We wanted it to choke but it didn't!

Here are 3 pics, my usual current settings but with 3 Highlights Shadows settings, per the captions. SOOC, just reduced to 1500 pixels high for posting.

Highlights 0, Shadows 0

Highlights +2, Shadows -2 . . . higher contrast per Labe

Highlights -2, Shadows +2 . . . lower contrast ("flat") per Labe.

I like the first one = Highlights Shadows Off.

(OMIGOD a blown highlight!!!! Great weeping and gnashing of teeth).

Mike

X

Mikedigi's gear list:Mikedigi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus Stylus 1s Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
jlina
Re: Clouds

I used Sherman's method and focused on tree tops first.  It works because the sun is at my back?  It isn't blown right?

thanks!

-- hide signature --

jlina

jlina
Re: Birds - distance - and Highlights Shadows on FZ330

Hi Mike! there is a really upscale restaurant in Galveston that has let the seagull situation get out of hand it is actually miserable to eat on their balcony now they have tried a lot of remedies but haven't managed to fix it..... Sorry about her lunch!

I like number two better but I don't know what a blown highlight is. I just don't see it I will enlarge the photos and study it some more the reflection and number two of the sky is much prettier. I have to stop or soon I will be shooting in vivid with plus saturation and high contrast! Oh, noooooooo....

I did wonder in your example yesterday which photo of the blue car was more real to life... the one that was the second try that had a bit more scratches and duller paint? in other words besides which was the better photo which one look more like what your eyes see?

It was super nice of Paul the post all that I learned a lot here! I think all these little tips and tricks make us better overall photographers. Or at least they help set the mood you want more quickly.

Hope you've had a great day!

-- hide signature --

jlina

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 12,611

jlina wrote:

I used Sherman's method and focused on tree tops first. It works because the sun is at my back? It isn't blown right?

thanks!

Looks like your getting the hang of it now.

-- hide signature --

Back to bridge cameras......

Mikedigi

jlina wrote:

I used Sherman's method and focused on tree tops first. It works because the sun is at my back? It isn't blown right?

FOCUS - With my old FZ200, focussing on a small nearby subject without selecting spot focus, it sometimes focussed on the background. Soon I was instinctively focussing on an "easier" target closer to me, then swinging onto the target and adjusting focus.

Without even thinking about it, I now do that instinctively with the FZ330, especially if the target is smaller than the "green focus box" on my screen.

But birds in flight against a land, not sky, background, can be a major limitation of an FZ with its DFD AF system. I am told that Phase Detect AF on DSLRs etc is essential for this.

With your clouds, I am wondering whether your FZ1000-ii actually focussed twice, once on the trees and once on the clouds. or only once, on the trees. Both are so far away that you probably cannot tell by zooming into the image.

HIGHLIGHTS - "Reflective" might describe subjects more likely to have bright highlights.

When does a bright highlight become a blown highlight?

When you don't like it? . . . . . . Because I love it on my 3 Jug photos! More an attractive reflection than a blown highlight.

But e.g. a highlight is blown when it wipes out desirable detail, e.g. white feather detail on a Swan.

Re-thinking, like you, I like Jug Photo No. 2 more than No. 1, it has more impact.

Photo No. 3, with -2 highlights and +2 shadows, is more towards HDR (High Dynamic Range), and that whole slab of technology . . . or in some photos, one might simply call it boring.

They don't put chrome plating all over Harley Davidsons to make them boring.

Mike

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus Stylus 1s Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
Jon_T
Jon_T Veteran Member • Posts: 5,613

jlina wrote:

See any leading lines?? ...

Sorry, no. You need re-read Mark Scott Abeln's reply to you HERE. There were several other good replies to you in your "Leading Lines" topic that did a good job of explaining what "leading lines" are in a picture.

... Thank so much Jon! I was secretly hoping you'd do your magic but didn't want to impose. ...

You're welcome.

... Can you tell me what you did? ...

Without you knowing and understanding PSE's editing tools really can not easily explain.

For the 'basics' see my post HERE that I mentioned to you previously on adjusting highlights/ shadows.

Cheers,
Jon

Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot S110 Leica C +16 more
Mikedigi
The blue car

jlina wrote:

"I did wonder in your example yesterday which photo of the blue car was more real to life... the one that was the second try that had a bit more scratches and duller paint? in other words besides which was the better photo which one look more like what your eyes see?"

The first pic of the blue car is very close to how it looks in reality. Highlights Shadows at default.

I made a mistake with the second photo, I meant to darken highlights and lighten shadows (=HDR direction), but the -5, -5 setting should have been -5, +5. Labe has since taught me about that.

Anyway, darkening the highlights had made it flat and boring, for me, but somehow it has paled the blue, not how it looks in reality.

I may re-do it, using the 0/0,  +2/-2 and-2/+2 settings, same as the 3 later Jug photos.

Mike

Jon_T
Jon_T Veteran Member • Posts: 5,613
Re: First prod into Highlights Shadows

jlina wrote:

Excellent PP Jon! ...

Thanks.

... Would you say adjusting the highlights or shadows is comparable to adjusting EV lower? ...

Not really. See Labe's post below on his experiences using the "Panasonic" in-camera
"HIGHLIGHTS AND SHADOWS", as have not used.

EV / EC adjustments affects the lighting adjustment(s) to the same amount to the entire image. Whereas with "HIGHLIGHTS AND SHADOWS" the highlight setting (should) only adjust the highlight areas of the image; likewise the shadows setting (should) only affect the shadows areas of the image only.

...  unless you are shooting clouds is this even something that I should think about? ...

You should think about it when looking at any scene when the highlights are brighter and/ or the shadows are darker than the 'overall scene lighting' and using Evaluated Metering.

You need to remember the camera's sensor has a far less dynamic range (highlights/ shadows) than your eyes.

Hence why in your pics with light colored birds that were overexposed in the light, they've recommended using center-weighted or spot metering.

Cheers,
Jon

Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot S110 Leica C +16 more
Mikedigi
Adobe Camera Raw

jilina wrote:

" Can you tell me what you did?)"

Jon_T wrote:

Without you knowing and understanding PSE's editing tools really can not easily explain.

"For the 'basics' see my post HERE that I mentioned to you previously on adjusting highlights/ shadows."

I never saw this linked post, and although I use Camera Raw as my main Editing tool, it has made me realise that I need to understand it better, so I have bookmarked that post and I shall work through it.

Thank you for pointing it out to us. I love the compact simplicity of Camera Raw for JPEG editing!

Mike

jlina

Hi Jon! Nope don't need to reread it I remember it.

However there's no architecture around here to photograph thus I haven't been able to put it into action. Yeah I did see a line in there, a line of seagulls leading to an empty picnic table which I thought was pretty funny. Maybe I'm just easily amused,all those birds and what you end up with is an empty picnic table?!

Just like in this photo below to me the landscape timbers lead your eye to the weed.

So will this just be called framing?

Tks

-- hide signature --

jlina

jlina
Re: The blue car

To me that's a big part of the key of the process is how much does it look like what you're looking at. The rest is just for artistic manipulation and to have fun!

-- hide signature --

jlina

jlina

Thank you again for the link! I'd emailed it to myself. I think that was the first post of yours I ever saw? Isn't it where their skin is orange in the one photo?

Will study it....

-- hide signature --

jlina

jlina

Thank you again! Maybe one day I'll have a blue sky again?? But that day was not today.

-- hide signature --

jlina

jlina

Lol Mike! Learning to see in a photo what other people see is taking me a lot of effort but that is mostly because in my mind I was changing up the photos to be more pleasing to myself and I had to quit doing that. Yes that focused box would often obscure my subject on the 300!

As far as the clouds my camera won't focus on them so Sherman had told me to focus on something far off and just pick the camera up that's what I did.

Hope you're having a great weekend!

-- hide signature --

jlina

Mikedigi
FZ330 - perfection versus likeable

Re perfection versus likeable, I like this, others may hate it, that's fine. Straight out of camera, full size.

Mike

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads