FZ300.. Full-size out-of-camera jpgs (Pt.1)

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
jshen808
OP jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,067
Re: FZ300.. Pacific Golden-Plover "test" picture

jlina wrote:

Look what I did! 1/8th of a second and no blur!!!

Woot woot ! I love learning stuff!

Ahhh, very nice photo from your FZ1000M2 camera!

And learning new things is always a good thing.

Thanks for sharing & happy snappings.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John
(Feel free to download my pictures)
*** Photography is about fun ***
*** No response = ignore list ***

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
jlina
jlina Senior Member • Posts: 1,924

I thought you were going to ask me how I did it?  Well stick in your elbow on the counter next to the flower works really well thanks John. I've come a long way to even notice the slow shutter speed.

-- hide signature --

jlina

jshen808

jlina wrote:

I thought you were going to ask me how I did it? Well stick in your elbow on the counter next to the flower works really well thanks John. I've come a long way to even notice the slow shutter speed.

Hi Jacqueline,

That's a great way to stabilize!

Some folks when standing may lean on something.

What I usually do is to take many shots and select the best one.

Thanks for sharing your technique used, happy snappings.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John

Mikedigi
Mikedigi Forum Pro • Posts: 11,150
Flower

This pic shows a big advantage that our compact cameras have over large-sensor DSLRs - relatively deep depth of focus.

The other one being, of course, having f2.8-f4 with up to 400-6000 mm optical zoom, without spending megabucks on a lens around 1 foot long.

Mike

Mikedigi's gear list:Mikedigi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus Stylus 1s Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
Mikedigi
Labe - river and boat

Labe wrote:

[Snip]

I also used the ht -2 on my fz1000 as it was prone to clipping highlights.

Shots like this really needed it to stop the clouds blowing out.

Wow, is the -2 Highlights really doing all that, or is it heavily post-processed?

Looks kind of over-perfect to me.

Mike

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus Stylus 1s Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 12,611
Re: Labe - river and boat

Mikedigi wrote:

Labe wrote:

[Snip]

I also used the ht -2 on my fz1000 as it was prone to clipping highlights.

Shots like this really needed it to stop the clouds blowing out.

Wow, is the -2 Highlights really doing all that, or is it heavily post-processed?

Mike

The -2 stopped blowing the highlight as I shoot jpeg and then do basic processing . In this case just local tone mapping and a border.

-- hide signature --

Back to bridge cameras......

Mikedigi
Clipping highlights

jlina wrote:

. . . . I am still having trouble blowing out my highlights. I am going to turn that thing off where it changes back to zero on the EV. I can't manage to stay at -1 or - 2/3.

but if I could leave it at zero and just change the highlights that might work . . . . .

I had not analysed it as a problem . . . but yes I too get fed up with using -1, -2/3 or -1/3 EV and then often having to increase exposure, darken highlights and lighten shadows in Adobe Camera Raw.

Thanks John and jlina.

Next I'll try my Vivid, 0 Contrast, -5 NR, and +1 Saturation with Sharpness between 0 and -5.

Then I'll try Highlights for darkening and Shadows for lightening.

I feel like I am being drawn towards The Dark Side of the Force . . . i-Magic Land?

Gold or more Fool's Gold . . . . ?             

Mike

Mikedigi
Re: Labe - river and boat

Mike

The -2 stopped blowing the highlight as I shoot jpeg and then do basic processing . In this case just local tone mapping and a border.

That is great news, about the -2 Highlights. Thank you, very helpful.

Mike

Franno83
Franno83 Contributing Member • Posts: 646
Re: FZ300.. Full-size out-of-camera jpgs (Pt.1)

jshen808 wrote:

Hello everyone,

I'm starting this thread to post my full-size out-of-camera jpgs.

I'll also post and share my FZ300 camera's settings that's used.

Everyone is welcome to post their FZ300/330 cameras ooc jpgs.

It's hope that we'll find the best settings for the FZ300/330 cam.

In the meantime, hope we'll have a fun time sharing pictures...

Cheers!

Hi John,

Reading this thread with interest.  I may be looking to change my FZ82, looking for 1"sensor and a weather sealed option.  How is the FZ300 in poor light?

Best wishes
Fran

Mikedigi

Franno83 wrote:

Hi John,

Reading this thread with interest. I may be looking to change my FZ82, looking for 1"sensor and a weather sealed option. How is the FZ300 in poor light?

Best wishes
Fran

Hi Fran, I hope you won't mind me commenting.

I am writing as a JPEG shooter whose ideal is to eliminate post-processing or at least minimize it. If you shoot RAW, do big PP, etc, I cannot advise anybody.

Having had several FZs over the years, I find the FZ330 by far the best low-light performer so far of the 1/2.3 sensor class.

Not for low-light indoor ice hockey or similar, but for stills or slow action. Depends on how perfectionist you are, I am not.

I use my FZ330 up to 1600 ISO for dim situations but I routinely shoot in Aperture Priority at f4 Aperture with Auto ISO and ISO Limit set at 800. But I often intervene and set ISO to 200-400 and use slower shutter speed.

The key is the bright 25-600mm lens with wide aperture (f2.8 but I mainly use f4) all the way out to 600mm optical zoom.

So for example, shooting small quirky or lovely objects in a museum or National Trust property, I am often using something like f4 aperture (or f2.8-f3.5) with 200-400 ISO and a slow shutter speed, as slow as 1/10 sec but preferably 1/20 sec and faster.

This thread, John's thread, is coming up with some good ideas for improving the SOOC (Straight Out Of Camera) results of the FZ330 in all shooting conditions.

I owned an FZ1000 alongside the FZ330 for a year or so and the bits that the FZ1000 did better were not enough to compensate me for the extra size and weight, the reduced optical zoom range and the lack of weather sealing. So I sold the FZ1000 and I am very happy with the decision.

At around £375 right now with weather sealing, and less nearly-new (I bought mine from Panasonic Outlet on Ebay as-new for £300, about 3 years ago), the FZ330 is startling value for money.

All the best,

Mike

jshen808

Franno83 wrote:

jshen808 wrote:

Hello everyone,

Cheers!

Hi John,

Reading this thread with interest. I may be looking to change my FZ82, looking for 1"sensor and a weather sealed option. How is the FZ300 in poor light?

Best wishes
Fran

Hi Fran,

We both have the FZ80/82 cameras.

And I think the FZ300/330 is a fantastic camera to "add-on" to your FZ82 camera.

Super thanks to Mike (Mikedigi) for his great reply and commenting to your post.

Both the FZ80/82 & FZ300/330 cameras uses the 1/2.3" sensors.

The FZ80/82 camera can zoom from 20mm to 1200mm,

and the FZ300/330 camera can zoom from 25mm to 600mm.

The FZ300/330 camera is weather sealed,

and the FZ300/330 camera have a "bright" lens,

which means it can take pictures in "poor light" better.

Using the FZ300/330 will be very similar to the FZ80/82 cameras,

however, there will be a slight learning curve to use the FZ300/330's f/2.8 lens.

If wanting a camera with the 1" sensor,

then may consider the FZ1000 or FZ1000M2 cameras,

and from these two cameras, I would lean towards the FZ1000M2,

however, neither the FZ1000 or FZ1000M2 cameras are "weather sealed".

Hope all these things are helpful in explaining,

and feel free to ask anymore questions you may have.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John

jshen808

Mikedigi wrote:

Franno83 wrote:

Hi John,

Best wishes
Fran

I am writing as a JPEG shooter whose ideal is to eliminate post-processing or at least minimize it. If you shoot RAW, do big PP, etc, I cannot advise anybody.

Having had several FZs over the years, I find the FZ330 by far the best low-light performer so far of the 1/2.3 sensor class.

Not for low-light indoor ice hockey or similar, but for stills or slow action. Depends on how perfectionist you are, I am not.

I use my FZ330 up to 1600 ISO for dim situations but I routinely shoot in Aperture Priority at f4 Aperture with Auto ISO and ISO Limit set at 800. But I often intervene and set ISO to 200-400 and use slower shutter speed.

The key is the bright 25-600mm lens with wide aperture (f2.8 but I mainly use f4) all the way out to 600mm optical zoom.

So for example, shooting small quirky or lovely objects in a museum or National Trust property, I am often using something like f4 aperture (or f2.8-f3.5) with 200-400 ISO and a slow shutter speed, as slow as 1/10 sec but preferably 1/20 sec and faster.

This thread, John's thread, is coming up with some good ideas for improving the SOOC (Straight Out Of Camera) results of the FZ330 in all shooting conditions.

I owned an FZ1000 alongside the FZ330 for a year or so and the bits that the FZ1000 did better were not enough to compensate me for the extra size and weight, the reduced optical zoom range and the lack of weather sealing. So I sold the FZ1000 and I am very happy with the decision.

At around £375 right now with weather sealing, and less nearly-new (I bought mine from Panasonic Outlet on Ebay as-new for £300, about 3 years ago), the FZ330 is startling value for money.

All the best,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your great commentings!

Just to mention, this thread belongs to everyone,

for all of us to share so can learn from each other.

Let us all experiment with our FZ300/330 cameras,

and share with everyone our findings and results.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John

Franno83

Mikedigi wrote:

Franno83 wrote:

Hi John,

Best wishes
Fran

All the best,

Mike

Many thanks Mike, really informative.  Like you I'm not big into PP, I spend way too long looking at a screen as it is!

Just out of interest, in your opinion, what did the FZ1000 do better?  I'm seduced by the 1" sensor, but am I expecting too much?

It certainly sounds good value.  Money is not an issue particularly, although I am principally a hiker/cyclist and my camera goes everywhere which does mean it can get bashed about a bit so I try to keep the price reasonable.  £300 down the drain is better than £1000+!!

Many thanks.

Fran

Franno83

jshen808 wrote:

Franno83 wrote:

jshen808 wrote:

Hello everyone,

Cheers!

Hi John,

Best wishes
Fran

Hi Fran,

We both have the FZ80/82 cameras.

And I think the FZ300/330 is a fantastic camera to "add-on" to your FZ82 camera.

Super thanks to Mike (Mikedigi) for his great reply and commenting to your post.

Both the FZ80/82 & FZ300/330 cameras uses the 1/2.3" sensors.

The FZ80/82 camera can zoom from 20mm to 1200mm,

and the FZ300/330 camera can zoom from 25mm to 600mm.

The FZ300/330 camera is weather sealed,

and the FZ300/330 camera have a "bright" lens,

which means it can take pictures in "poor light" better.

Using the FZ300/330 will be very similar to the FZ80/82 cameras,

however, there will be a slight learning curve to use the FZ300/330's f/2.8 lens.

If wanting a camera with the 1" sensor,

then may consider the FZ1000 or FZ1000M2 cameras,

and from these two cameras, I would lean towards the FZ1000M2,

however, neither the FZ1000 or FZ1000M2 cameras are "weather sealed".

Hope all these things are helpful in explaining,

and feel free to ask anymore questions you may have.

Cheers!

Many thanks John, lots to ponder.

Fran

jlina
Re: Flower

Sorry Mike but I have no idea what you're talking about with depth of field here it doesn't have a good depth of field? because my camera goes to f11 and if you would take a shot and show me what you're talking about I'm sure I could replicate it. it was probably after I returned the camera that people start talking about depth of field on small sensors. I remember I shot in all the f-stops and everyone was like oh I can't see any difference, and then it turned into it was because it was a small sensor and it already had depth of field or something like that.

Anyway it was a quick snapshot to illustrate framing and I was just happy I got it at a slow shutter speed with no motion blur.

-- hide signature --

jlina

jlina
Re: Clipping highlights

I have my camera set to delete whatever EV setting I have it on when I turn it off. I can change that and just leave it at minus 1/3 or minus 1/3 if I decide I want to. I think it's called EV compensation. But playing with the highlights also seems like it might be fun!

-- hide signature --

jlina

jlina

Hi Fran! I think you'd do great with the 300, what convinced me to get the 1-in sensor is the photo below which Paul had kindly posted after he posted the same shot with the 300.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64971774

The difference is remarkable and it's not in the editing.....

I hope you find your perfect camera!

-- hide signature --

jlina

jlina

Hi John! I'm always wondered about the weather sealing...how much does it matter when Stevie literally told me to take photos only on sunny days to avoid disappointment?

as you see in the original picture on this thread cloudy gloomy day is really affect the photos from the 300....

So unless you're taking the camera canoeing how is it a big benefit if you don't have the light?

Hope you're having a great day!

-- hide signature --

jlina

Stevie Boy Blue Senior Member • Posts: 1,560
*FAO Franno83*

It’s difficult to assess what you regard as low (poor) light.

Like you, I live in the UK and to me low light conditions are often brought about by inappropriate weather even at midday. For the purposes of this post, I’ll assume that we share the same ideas of where we’d expect to increase ISO to maintain reasonable shutter speeds at any given aperture setting. Dark cloud cover at any time will bring about that necessity, as will the period of dusk into complete darkness. Any of those to me represent low light.

Truth is, since I gave up doing portrait photography in dimly lit night clubs I rarely shoot in the dark, so let’s stick with whatever we’re likely to face whilst the sun’s still up but is either well hidden or close to setting.

Bear in mind that compared to your FZ80, either camera in which you’re interested will be an improvement under any conditions at the focal lengths that cross over – up to 400mm on the FZ1000 (2) and up to 600mm on the FZ330. Anything beyond that range is pretty much null and void except to say that you’re almost sure to miss the extra optical reach afforded by the 80, even though to me its full maximum 1200mm results are really not up to much at all and regardless of who shoots the photos. Enough on that score, though, as I’ve said all this a few times before.

Ultimately, results from either the 1000 (2) or the 330 will be less noisy and more detailed in all conditions than the 80. The 1000 (2) has a sensor almost four times larger than the 330, but it’s results will in no way be four times better overall than are achievable with the smaller model. Yes, the 1000 has slightly more dynamic range and affords more capacity for cropping images down, but the FZ330 has 200mm more optical reach and is not found wanting all that often in my experience.

As it stands, you asked about low light results from the 330. Bear in mind that my yardstick for output from any camera is its ability to render fine fur and feather detail at maximum zoom.

The OOC Jpeg shots I display below, although reduced in size for uploading purposes, show the FZ330’s capacity to record good levels of detail under what I regard as low light conditions. By all means judge for yourself whether the standard of fine detail retention is on your level and what you might expect. The key is to fill as much as the frame as possible with the subject – even with a 1inch sensor camera.

Ultimately I’d say that either camera is capable of serving you well within the FZ range’s limitations as a whole, which to me perhaps makes the FZ330 the most bang-for-the-buck prospect. When push comes to shove, though, neither the FZ1000 nor 330 are particularly great performers in seriously low light, as each model still possesses a relatively small sensor compared to serious low light kit and which tends to begin at M4/3rd size and larger. Much depends on what you personally find acceptable image quality wise and where you're headed in the future.

Good luck with your decision, Fran.I hope at least some of this post helps.

Beyond that, if you haven’t already done so, check out my review of the FZ330 here and ensure you also read a good number of the posts below it for elaboration of some of the points covered:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63244070

Furthermore, you may find my FZ2000 review useful too as a means to see what 1’’ sensor FZs can do. Having compared the FZ1000, 1000 2 and 2000 side by side in terms of handling and OOC results, I went with the 2000 for its additional video features and built-in ND filters. I’m not suggesting you should do the same, but the review may broaden your horizons, not forgetting of course that there are more compact 1” models beyond FZs that may be worth you looking at, too.

For what it’s worth, here’s a link to my FZ2000 review:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4513863

FZ330 low light examples below, from ISO 200 through to ISO 800:

The shot above of old sleepy head is a fairly large crop, which is something I rarely do.

Cheers and all the best…

Stevie Boy Blue Senior Member • Posts: 1,560

jlina wrote:

Hi John! I'm always wondered about the weather sealing...how much does it matter when Stevie literally told me to take photos only on sunny days to avoid disappointment?

as you see in the original picture on this thread cloudy gloomy day is really affect the photos from the 300....

So unless you're taking the camera canoeing how is it a big benefit if you don't have the light?

Hope you're having a great day!

To clarify:

When I initially suggested you reserve your FZ300 for shooting primarily in good light, I wasn’t being critical of its abilities to render detail in low light. I was referring to how much better images look in good light due to higher levels of contrast, which are the conditions I much prefer and recommend anyone else to shoot under. If you shoot in dull conditions, you get appropriate results. Shoot in good light, you should get appropriate results, too. I always prefer the latter.

Ultimately, the FZ300 records what it reads, be it fog, murk or brighness.

As I've said before, that goes for any camera, including the FZ300, 1000, 1000 2, 2000 and even models with much larger sensors. Yes, I stated: “…FZ’s like this really are fine/bright-weather cameras and best used accordingly…”

But what I wrote both before and after that were crucial elements to my overall advice, which was intended for interpretation as a whole.

Quite simply, you gave the impression earlier on in the thread linked below that you expected the FZ300 to be able to enhance scenes that lacked light and contrast and were generally lacklustre. I was merely attempting to assure you that no camera whatsoever can really do that.

For complete clarification, the full post in which 'I first' made that suggestion to you can be read here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64685264

Note that for anyone seeking the best possible results, I would also give the same advice to any owner of the FZ1000 (2). Quite simply, it's the light that makes images pop in most cases, although folks are more than welcome to shoot under any conditions they fancy. If dull and dingy floats one's boat, then dull and dingy is fine - at least for he or she who likes it.

As for the usefulness of FZ300 weather sealing, it can shower with rain in between brighter spells (often here in the UK), in which case we don’t have to shield the camera as hurriedly or to the degree we might with the FZ1000 (2), 2000, or any other FZ that offers no such convenience. Plus, the FZ300’s less likely to draw in dust particles than the likes of the FZ1000 (2), etc. No doubt there are also other advantages to having the seals that just don’t spring to mind at the moment.

Good luck

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads