FZ300.. Full-size out-of-camera jpgs (Pt.1)

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Ramanan Padmanabhan Contributing Member • Posts: 758
Re: COUPLE OF FULL SIZE JPEG AS WELL AS COUPLE OF GRAB SHOT ALSO
1

The advantages of using stills extracted from 4k video in similar situation is that the grab shots are more punchy  than the still which can be seen from my examples below:-

STILL

THE STILL EXTRACTED FROM 4K VIDEO

STILL

THE STILL EXTRACTED FROM 4K VIDEO

OF COURSE THESE EXAMPLES ARE pp.

Ramanan

jshen808
OP jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,067
Re: COUPLE OF FULL SIZE JPEG AS WELL AS COUPLE OF GRAB SHOT ALSO
1

Ramanan Padmanabhan wrote:

The advantages of using stills extracted from 4k video in similar situation is that the grab shots are more punchy than the still which can be seen from my examples below:-

STILL

THE STILL EXTRACTED FROM 4K VIDEO

STILL

THE STILL EXTRACTED FROM 4K VIDEO

OF COURSE THESE EXAMPLES ARE pp.

Ramanan

..

Hi Ramanan,

Thanks for sharing these fantastic pictures!

Great to show the differences between them.

Thanks for sharing & happy snappings.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John
(Feel free to download my pictures)
*** Photography is about fun ***
*** No response = ignore list ***

 jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
Mikedigi
Mikedigi Forum Pro • Posts: 11,150
Re: COUPLE OF FULL SIZE JPEG AS WELL AS COUPLE OF GRAB SHOT ALSO
1

Ramanan Padmanabhan wrote:

The advantages of using stills extracted from 4k video in similar situation is that the grab shots are more punchy than the still which can be seen from my examples below

OF COURSE THESE EXAMPLES ARE pp.

I see mention of PhotoFunStudio - to extract the stills, or some PP?

Mike

 Mikedigi's gear list:Mikedigi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus Stylus 1s Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
jlina
jlina Senior Member • Posts: 1,907
Re: FZ300.. Pacific Golden-Plover "test" picture
1

So where were you reading that at John? You think changing those settings will make a big difference with the photos? it's very interesting to follow along hope you had a great day and got some good shots!

-- hide signature --

jlina

Ramanan Padmanabhan Contributing Member • Posts: 758
Re: COUPLE OF FULL SIZE JPEG AS WELL AS COUPLE OF GRAB SHOT ALSO
1

Hi Ramanan,

Thanks for sharing these fantastic pictures!

Great to show the differences between them.

Thanks for sharing & happy snappings.

Cheers!

Thank you very much,

Regards,

Ramanan.

Ramanan Padmanabhan Contributing Member • Posts: 758
Re: COUPLE OF FULL SIZE JPEG AS WELL AS COUPLE OF GRAB SHOT ALSO
1

Mikedigi wrote:

Ramanan Padmanabhan wrote:

The advantages of using stills extracted from 4k video in similar situation is that the grab shots are more punchy than the still which can be seen from my examples below

OF COURSE THESE EXAMPLES ARE pp.

I see mention of PhotoFunStudio - to extract the stills, or some PP?

Mike

Yes Mike I have extracted  still using Photofunstudio which has come along FZ300 and did some post processing  using silkypix pro9 for Pana and adobe.

Ramanan

jshen808
OP jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,067
Re: FZ300.. Pacific Golden-Plover "test" picture
1

jlina wrote:

So where were you reading that at John? You think changing those settings will make a big difference with the photos? it's very interesting to follow along hope you had a great day and got some good shots!

..

Hi Jacqueline,

This is about the "Highlight & Shadow".

I just experimented with the settings,

and can view the differences when,

viewing on the cams LCD display.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John
(Feel free to download my pictures)
*** Photography is about fun ***
*** No response = ignore list ***

 jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
jshen808
OP jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,067
Re: COUPLE OF FULL SIZE JPEG AS WELL AS COUPLE OF GRAB SHOT ALSO
1

Ramanan Padmanabhan wrote:

Mikedigi wrote:

Ramanan Padmanabhan wrote:

The advantages of using stills extracted from 4k video in similar situation is that the grab shots are more punchy than the still which can be seen from my examples below

OF COURSE THESE EXAMPLES ARE pp.

I see mention of PhotoFunStudio - to extract the stills, or some PP?

Mike

Yes Mike I have extracted still using Photofunstudio which has come along FZ300 and did some post processing using silkypix pro9 for Pana and adobe.

Ramanan

..

Thanks for sharing, Ramanan!

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John
(Feel free to download my pictures)
*** Photography is about fun ***
*** No response = ignore list ***

 jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
Mikedigi
Mikedigi Forum Pro • Posts: 11,150
Re: COUPLE OF FULL SIZE JPEG AS WELL AS COUPLE OF GRAB SHOT ALSO
1

Thank you!

Mike

 Mikedigi's gear list:Mikedigi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus Stylus 1s Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
Mikedigi
Mikedigi Forum Pro • Posts: 11,150
Re: FZ300.. Pacific Golden-Plover "test" picture
1

Re

"Standard, Contrast (+0), Sharpening (-5), Noise Reduction (-5), Saturation (+0)

Highlight (-2) and Shadow (+2)"

The -5 Sharpening and -2 Highlights and +2 Shadows are interesting.

"-5 Sharpening", OK, I shall try that. Might reduce noise.

Just now I have Vivid Photo Style, 0 Contrast, -5 NR, +1 Saturation. Sharpening is at 0 but I shall vary it to see what happens.

Are "Highlights" and "Shadows" i-Functions, which may introduce noise or artefacts?

I shall go through all your other settings too, especially as I have never noticed some of them!

Thanks, great info.

Mike

 Mikedigi's gear list:Mikedigi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus Stylus 1s Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
jshen808
OP jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,067
Re: FZ300.. Pacific Golden-Plover "test" picture
1

Mikedigi wrote:

Re

"Standard, Contrast (+0), Sharpening (-5), Noise Reduction (-5), Saturation (+0)

Highlight (-2) and Shadow (+2)"

The -5 Sharpening and -2 Highlights and +2 Shadows are interesting.

"-5 Sharpening", OK, I shall try that. Might reduce noise.

Just now I have Vivid Photo Style, 0 Contrast, -5 NR, +1 Saturation. Sharpening is at 0 but I shall vary it to see what happens.

Are "Highlights" and "Shadows" i-Functions, which may introduce noise or artefacts?

I shall go through all your other settings too, especially as I have never noticed some of them!

Thanks, great info.

Mike

..

Hi Mike,

Thanks very much!

In my opinion, for jpg shooters using smaller sensor cameras,

there's mainly two ways to help reduce the noise in the images.

Either to increase noise reduction, or to reduce the sharpening.

The downside of increasing the noise reduction, is the smearing.

The downside of reducing sharpening, is the reduce of sharpness.

It's important to find the best sharpening & noise reduction settings,

which will produce the best overall effects and results in the pictures.

I'm very thankful for everyone's contributions & sharings for the FZ300.

Thanks for your commentings, and for your good work!

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John
(Feel free to download my pictures)
*** Photography is about fun ***
*** No response = ignore list ***

 jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
jshen808
OP jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,067
Re: FZ300.. Pacific Golden-Plover "test" picture
1

Mikedigi wrote:

Just now I have Vivid Photo Style, 0 Contrast, -5 NR, +1 Saturation. Sharpening is at 0 but I shall vary it to see what happens.

Thanks for sharing your settings!

Are "Highlights" and "Shadows" i-Functions, which may introduce noise or artefacts?

The Highlight & Shadow does not seem to introduce noise or artifacts.

Using iResolution (Extended) actually seems to smooth out the noise.

However, using iResolution (Low) seems to increase some low noise.

Also using Diffraction Compensation seems to introduce some artifacts.

Everything in using can be a compromise, but still can be a useful feature.

I shall go through all your other settings too, especially as I have never noticed some of them!

It's great to try things & experiment!

..

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John
(Feel free to download my pictures)
*** Photography is about fun ***
*** No response = ignore list ***

 jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
jlina
jlina Senior Member • Posts: 1,907
Re: FZ300.. Pacific Golden-Plover "test" picture
1

John what made you decide to play with highlights and shadows? I think it's an excellent idea but I'm not sure if I even need to do that on the 1-in sensor?

I am still having trouble blowing out my highlights. I am going to turn that thing off where it changes back to zero on the EV. I can't manage to stay at -1 or - 2/3.

but if I could leave it at zero and just change the highlights that might work.

Let me know what your results are saying?

-- hide signature --

jlina

jshen808
OP jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,067
Re: FZ300.. Pacific Golden-Plover "test" picture
1

jlina wrote:

John what made you decide to play with highlights and shadows? I think it's an excellent idea but I'm not sure if I even need to do that on the 1-in sensor?

I am still having trouble blowing out my highlights. I am going to turn that thing off where it changes back to zero on the EV. I can't manage to stay at -1 or - 2/3.

but if I could leave it at zero and just change the highlights that might work.

Let me know what your results are saying?

..

Hi Jacqueline,

This is a great question!

The idea to try using the "Highlight & Shadow" feature,

is from my experiences in using my Fuji camera settings.

In the Fuji cameras, the "Highlight & Shadow" settings,

is placed along with the Sharpening & Noise Reduction,

so they are not placed separately, as they are together,

which to mean they are integrated & working together.

Also, as I was searching for the best Fuji cam settings,

the recommended settings included the use of "H&S".

And from my experiences with my Fuji cameras using,

the Highlight & Shadow, the pictures results are good,

giving the pictures a more realistic & 3-D like effects.

Also, the Fuji X100F camera I have uses a "DX" sensor,

which is actually some larger than the 1" type sensor.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John
(Feel free to download my pictures)
*** Photography is about fun ***
*** No response = ignore list ***

 jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 12,611
Re: FZ300.. Pacific Golden-Plover "test" picture
1

jshen808 wrote:

jlina wrote:

John what made you decide to play with highlights and shadows? I think it's an excellent idea but I'm not sure if I even need to do that on the 1-in sensor?

I am still having trouble blowing out my highlights. I am going to turn that thing off where it changes back to zero on the EV. I can't manage to stay at -1 or - 2/3.

but if I could leave it at zero and just change the highlights that might work.

Let me know what your results are saying?

..

Hi Jacqueline,

This is a great question!

The idea to try using the "Highlight & Shadow" feature,

is from my experiences in using my Fuji camera settings.

In the Fuji cameras, the "Highlight & Shadow" settings,

is placed along with the Sharpening & Noise Reduction,

so they are not placed separately, as they are together,

which to mean they are integrated & working together.

Also, as I was searching for the best Fuji cam settings,

the recommended settings included the use of "H&S".

And from my experiences with my Fuji cameras using,

the Highlight & Shadow, the pictures results are good,

giving the pictures a more realistic & 3-D like effects.

Also, the Fuji X100F camera I have uses a "DX" sensor,

which is actually some larger than the 1" type sensor.

Cheers!

Hi John , I too use the ht & st and dr% with Fuji cameras, especially the very interesting EXR sensors like my xs1.

my xpro1 and xt10 both benefited from these settings shooting jpeg.

I also used the ht -2 on my fz1000 as it was prone to clipping highlights.

Shots like this really needed it to stop the clouds blowing out.

-- hide signature --

Back to bridge cameras......

jlina
jlina Senior Member • Posts: 1,907
Re: FZ300.. Pacific Golden-Plover "test" picture
1

Thanks John I can totally understand that correlation. Glad you're able to experiment with it. Hope you're having a great day!

-- hide signature --

jlina

jlina
jlina Senior Member • Posts: 1,907
Re: FZ300.. Pacific Golden-Plover "test" picture
1

I never realized how hard it was to shoot clouds until I tried to take a picture of one and it wouldn't even focus! Love this shot!

-- hide signature --

jlina

jshen808
OP jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,067
Re: FZ300.. Pacific Golden-Plover "test" picture
1

Labe wrote:

jshen808 wrote:

jlina wrote:

John what made you decide to play with highlights and shadows? I think it's an excellent idea but I'm not sure if I even need to do that on the 1-in sensor?

I am still having trouble blowing out my highlights. I am going to turn that thing off where it changes back to zero on the EV. I can't manage to stay at -1 or - 2/3.

but if I could leave it at zero and just change the highlights that might work.

Let me know what your results are saying?

..

Hi Jacqueline,

This is a great question!

The idea to try using the "Highlight & Shadow" feature,

is from my experiences in using my Fuji camera settings.

In the Fuji cameras, the "Highlight & Shadow" settings,

is placed along with the Sharpening & Noise Reduction,

so they are not placed separately, as they are together,

which to mean they are integrated & working together.

Also, as I was searching for the best Fuji cam settings,

the recommended settings included the use of "H&S".

And from my experiences with my Fuji cameras using,

the Highlight & Shadow, the pictures results are good,

giving the pictures a more realistic & 3-D like effects.

Also, the Fuji X100F camera I have uses a "DX" sensor,

which is actually some larger than the 1" type sensor.

Cheers!

Hi John , I too use the ht & st and dr% with Fuji cameras, especially the very interesting EXR sensors like my xs1.

my xpro1 and xt10 both benefited from these settings shooting jpeg.

I also used the ht -2 on my fz1000 as it was prone to clipping highlights.

Shots like this really needed it to stop the clouds blowing out.

..

Hi Paul,

Thanks for commenting!

Great example of how the "Highlight" can help in capturing pictures.

I still need to experiment with the i.Dynamic settings and see the results.

Thanks for sharing & happy snappings.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John
(Feel free to download my pictures)
*** Photography is about fun ***
*** No response = ignore list ***

 jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
jshen808
OP jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,067
Re: FZ300.. Pacific Golden-Plover "test" picture
1

jlina wrote:

Thanks John I can totally understand that correlation. Glad you're able to experiment with it. Hope you're having a great day!

..

Thanks Jacqueline!

Finding the best camera settings is the goal for out-of-camera jpgs.

You're doing great with your FZ1000M2 camera, enjoy and have fun.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John
(Feel free to download my pictures)
*** Photography is about fun ***
*** No response = ignore list ***

 jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
jlina
jlina Senior Member • Posts: 1,907
Re: FZ300.. Pacific Golden-Plover "test" picture
1

Look what I did! 1/8th of a second and no blur!!!

Woot woot ! I love learning stuff!

-- hide signature --

jlina

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads