Canon PRO-1000 firmware 3.020

Started Mar 17, 2021 | Discussions
logan ross Regular Member • Posts: 440
Re: What does it fix?

fpapp wrote:

Has anyone figured out what the firmware update changes or fixes?

I'm curious because I'm very much torn between this printer and the Epson P900, trying to weigh the pros and cons of each and decide which one to buy.

I don’t think you need the scope of this update to make that decision.  This printer has been on the market for a long time and the firmware is very mature.  Any changes are going to be minor.

having moved from epson to this printer 3 years ago, I have no motivation to go back (other than missing the ability to print canvas on a roll).  Print quality is excellent, and you simply can’t beat the fact that it has built in sensors to automate head alignment and for color calibration.

Ken60 Senior Member • Posts: 3,187

I know a regular and well informed poster has contacted Canon to try and clarify. It seems the "Apple" version has updates for the new flavour of OS , plus other bits as per the Windows version.

Perhaps when they have something to say about it they will post here ..... hand in there !

-- hide signature --

Gear ... what I need to get the job done , after all you don't see mechanics listing their brand of spanner as a qualification .

Hilifer
Hilifer Senior Member • Posts: 1,268

Completed the 3.0.2.0 firmware update this morning on my Pro-1000. Unable to find any details on the update, but will share when I do. The last update, 3.0.1.0, doubled the custom paper length limit from 647.7mm to 1,200mm; let’s see if they’ve doubled the width limit with this update.

Firmware update instructions here for reference:

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART164218&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1616084886376

-- hide signature --

Moretti
"Things are more like they are now than they've ever been before."

Hilifer's gear list:Hilifer's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D7200 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +15 more
7 of 9 New Member • Posts: 7

fpapp wrote:

I'm curious because I'm very much torn between this printer and the Epson P900, trying to weigh the pros and cons of each and decide which one to buy.

P900 pro- roll paper

Pro-1000 pro- refillable ink.

I use the Pro-1000 as it has bigger tanks and is (if you’re into it) user refillable through 3rd party vendors.

fpapp
fpapp Senior Member • Posts: 1,326

7 of 9 wrote:

fpapp wrote:

P900 pro- roll paper

Pro-1000 pro- refillable ink.

I use the Pro-1000 as it has bigger tanks and is (if you’re into it) user refillable through 3rd party vendors.

I've done a lot of research and read a lot of reviews on both printers.

Even though the Pro-1000 has bigger tanks, all the reviews I've read have mentioned how it wastes enormous amounts of ink on random automated head cleanings.

The other advantage of the Epson besides roll paper (which is something I'd like to have) is a maximum print length up to 129" vs 49" on the Canon. I do have a couple 74" panoramas in my archives.

At this point I'm leaning towards buying the Epson.

fpapp's gear list:fpapp's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P340 Nikon Coolpix A1000 Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon D5600 +68 more
PanoSteve Regular Member • Posts: 148
Re: Canon PRO-1000 firmware 3.020

penums wrote:

Today there is an new firmware.

I dont find the changes.

So reading between the lines of these threads people are getting the update by downloading directly from the printer? As I can't see it on either the US or Europe support websites.

That is the one advantage to waiting for a support site download. You should hopefully get some kind of change log.

Hilifer

PanoSteve wrote:

penums wrote:

I dont find the changes.

So reading between the lines of these threads people are getting the update by downloading directly from the printer? As I can't see it on either the US or Europe support websites.

That is the one advantage to waiting for a support site download. You should hopefully get some kind of change log.

I agree it would be preferable to wait for a change log. As suggested in another post above, though, I also believe that the platform is mature enough to minimize potential for problems with firmware upgrades. Still, I’ll keep looking for that change log...

-- hide signature --

Moretti

Nikon D1X Nikon D7200 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +15 more

Gesture wrote:

I don't think we are ever going back to those systems. But at least have dual bios like Gigabyte (and, maybe, some other) computer motherboards.

Yes double or triple systems have been common in embedded systems for a very long time now. Update one, check the image and only switch if right, drop back to the second if not. Possibly have a third read only as a total 'something very wrong happened' recovery partition that can restore the second. Flash has been cheap enough to allow it for a long time. The new firmware would be downloaded completly and check summed before starting the update typically. It's not a disk image so should be plenty of storage space to do that.

Hilifer wrote:

I agree it would be preferable to wait for a change log. As suggested in another post above, though, I also believe that the platform is mature enough to minimize potential for problems with firmware upgrades. Still, I’ll keep looking for that change log...

Yes and you can always revert to the earlier version - he says never having tried that with the Pro-1000 - from the support website. Weird they have not posted the download yet on the web. Hopefully not long to wait..

Hilifer

PanoSteve wrote:

Hilifer wrote:

Yes and you can always revert to the earlier version - he says never having tried that with the Pro-1000 - from the support website. Weird they have not posted the download yet on the web. Hopefully not long to wait..

I started a thread on Canon’s support forum... not too much response yet:

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Professional-Photo-Printers/Pro-1000-3-0-2-0-firmware-update/m-p/337645/emcs_t/S2h8ZW1haWx8dG9waWNfc3Vic2NyaXB0aW9ufEtNR0hETkIyRVJaOUQzfDMzNzY0NXxTVUJTQ1JJUFRJT05TfGhL#M11300

-- hide signature --

Moretti

Ken60 Senior Member • Posts: 3,187

Things change all the time, I seem to remember the first firmware was able to be installed from a file on the host PC, using something in the driver software to instigate the transfer. I can't find this anymore on the software, was it ever there or is my old mind playing tricks ?

-- hide signature --

Gear ... what I need to get the job done , after all you don't see mechanics listing their brand of spanner as a qualification .

penums
OP penums Forum Member • Posts: 82

PanoSteve wrote:

penums wrote:

I dont find the changes.

Yes, the update comes directly from the printer.

penums's gear list:penums's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +5 more
theninth
theninth Regular Member • Posts: 123

It seems there is still no word from Canon regarding the changes/updates the new firmware 3.020 includes?

-- hide signature --

My portfolio site & blog: http://www.the-ninth.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads