Canon PRO-1000 firmware 3.020

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
penums
penums Forum Member • Posts: 79
Canon PRO-1000 firmware 3.020

Today there is an new firmware.

I dont find the changes.

penums's gear list:penums's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +5 more
Ken60 Senior Member • Posts: 3,180
Re: Canon PRO-1000 firmware 3.020

penums wrote:

Today there is an new firmware.

I dont find the changes.

Various NEW functions are supported ?

I think we might have to wait and see , perhaps not too long

-- hide signature --

Gear ... what I need to get the job done , after all you don't see mechanics listing their brand of spanner as a qualification .

Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 9,233

If it ain't broke, ...

That is the part that irritates.  Hard to find what the new firmware is supposed to do.

Sage Senior Member • Posts: 2,550

Interestingly, I don't see any 3.020 firmware available on the Canon support website for my Windows 10 64-bit system.

Sage's gear list:Sage's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Sony a6500 +23 more

It is there, I am using it !    Look for the date, as the name is often different from the version number.

-- hide signature --

Gear ... what I need to get the job done , after all you don't see mechanics listing their brand of spanner as a qualification .

R M S Regular Member • Posts: 195

Sage wrote:

Interestingly, I don't see any 3.020 firmware available on the Canon support website for my Windows 10 64-bit system.

OP mentions firmware, not driver.

Firmware is used for the printer itself and can be upgraded via the frontpanel of the printer.

-- hide signature --

Ron

Sage Senior Member • Posts: 2,550

R M S wrote:

Sage wrote:

OP mentions firmware, not driver.

Firmware is used for the printer itself and can be upgraded via the frontpanel of the printer.

I'll keep looking for version 3.020 on the Canon website. Thanks.

Sage's gear list:Sage's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Sony a6500 +23 more

I had a word with a Canon tech and suggested that they put an SD or USB stick port on the printer so that firmware could be updated directly over a fast feed. The thought of the power going down or a miss fire from an internet feed has never sat easily with me .

-- hide signature --

Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 9,233

I don't think we are ever going back to those systems.  But at least have dual bios like Gigabyte (and, maybe, some other) computer motherboards.

Ehhh, what?

Ken60 wrote:

I had a word with a Canon tech and suggested that they put an SD or USB stick port on the printer so that firmware could be updated directly over a fast feed. The thought of the power going down or a miss fire from an internet feed has never sat easily with me .

I don't want to sound harsh, but that Canon tech clearly had no clue what he was talking about.

A few things that come to mind reading your post:

How would one be able to connect a SD or usb stick to the printer?

That would require some sort of OTG (on the go) USB device (and driver), of which the printer isn't capable of. The USB port on the printer is designed to connect to a computer, not some sort of media reader,

No device will ever apply any update straight from the internet. Instead it will download the whole file first, then do a check on the integrity of the downloaded data and then when that is confirmed to be 100% ok, it will apply the update from it's own storage (the Pro 1000 printer has 1GB of RAM). After the update as been applied, the printer again checks the checksum of the applied data against the known MD5 hash. And if that is not 100% ok, it will revert back and not boot from the update.

Also, by thinking like you state in the last part of your post, one is never safe to apply any update ever.

-
Ron

Petruska Veteran Member • Posts: 9,170
Be cautious if you refill PRO-1000 ink cartridges.....

New FW "could" lock you out from using refillable cartridges.  As another poster stated "if it ain't broken......".

Bob P.

logan ross Regular Member • Posts: 440

I am in the US.  I have the Pro 1000 and the Pro 200.  Both have indicated there is a firmware update.  However, I get “can’t connect to server errors” when trying to update either from the front control panel.  I am printing and accessing the web interface just fine.  Anyone else having this issue?

Re: Ehhh, what?

R M S wrote:

Ken60 wrote:

I don't want to sound harsh, but that Canon tech clearly had no clue what he was talking about.

Easy, the same way that they used to put a car reader into some printers to allow for un connected ( from compute) printing.

That would require some sort of OTG (on the go) USB device (and driver), of which the printer isn't capable of. The USB port on the printer is designed to connect to a computer, not some sort of media reader,

No suggested the rear port other than you  !

No device will ever apply any update straight from the internet. Instead it will download the whole file first, then do a check on the integrity of the downloaded data and then when that is confirmed to be 100% ok, it will apply the update from it's own storage (the Pro 1000 printer has 1GB of RAM). After the update as been applied, the printer again checks the checksum of the applied data against the known MD5 hash. And if that is not 100% ok, it will revert back and not boot from the update.

So what happens if the power outs during the instillation ?  A dual boot like Gigabyte does seems an idea.

Also, by thinking like you state in the last part of your post, one is never safe to apply any update ever.

At £1000 trying to secure your possession is only normal , I have enough bricks.

-
Ron

-- hide signature --

Ken60 wrote:

R M S wrote:

Ken60 wrote:

Easy, the same way that they used to put a car reader into some printers to allow for un connected ( from compute) printing.

That is something completely different, a card reader that comes factory fitted is part of the mainboard design (i.e. there is a full USB stack onboard). What you're suggesting is to connect a card reader to a USB-B (square) connector (at the back of the printer), that ain't gonna work. Card readers also have a USB-B port. A USB-B to USB-B cable is required for what you're suggesting and that doesn't exist.

No suggested the rear port other than you !

So what happens if the power outs during the instillation ? A dual boot like Gigabyte does seems an idea.

Nothing, it just reverts back to the previous firmware, just like a Gigabyte mainboard.

Again, the Canon tech was talking nonsense.

At £1000 trying to secure your possession is only normal , I have enough bricks.

Again, you're stating that no firmware is ever safe to be updated.

So you never run any OS updates for your computer either?

You know what? I'm stepping out of this conversation, I see no point in contributing any further.

You're entitled to your opinion.

Have a nice day.

-- hide signature --

Ron

Ron you have a desire to be right and a rather abrasive manor , you posts are no longer of interest to me nor are your self elevating opinions.  Of course you are the one who is always right ..... my condolences to your wife !

Thank god for the ignore button !

-- hide signature --

pjglad Regular Member • Posts: 217

I am in the US. I just updated to 3.020.

Logan you can try having a look at your WiFi settings on the printer , or perhaps  try opening Canon Device Management Console, and then go to the Start tab and open Printer Information....

It should give you a look at the  ink levels and below that the link status of your WiFI and strength.  See if these are good enough to satisfy the transition.  Have you setup your printer to use WiFI and USB ?  I do this and use the USB for image printing.

-- hide signature --

logan ross wrote:

I am in the US. I have the Pro 1000 and the Pro 200. Both have indicated there is a firmware update. However, I get “can’t connect to server errors” when trying to update either from the front control panel. I am printing and accessing the web interface just fine. Anyone else having this issue?

Never mind.  It was a router issue.  Solved by temporarily connected to my cell phone hotspot and the firmware updates downloaded just fine.

Ken60 wrote:

Logan you can try having a look at your WiFi settings on the printer , or perhaps try opening Canon Device Management Console, and then go to the Start tab and open Printer Information....

It should give you a look at the ink levels and below that the link status of your WiFI and strength. See if these are good enough to satisfy the transition. Have you setup your printer to use WiFI and USB ? I do this and use the USB for image printing.

Thanks.  Posted below regarding the issue after figuring it out.  Now I just need to figure out how to prevent it rather than having to connect to my cell phone.

fpapp
fpapp Senior Member • Posts: 1,177
What does it fix?

Has anyone figured out what the firmware update changes or fixes?

I'm curious because I'm very much torn between this printer and the Epson P900, trying to weigh the pros and cons of each and decide which one to buy.

fpapp's gear list:fpapp's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A1000 Nikon Coolpix P340 Nikon D850 Nikon D500 Nikon D5600 +65 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads