z50 Lenses

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
saltlifetardis_13
saltlifetardis_13 Junior Member • Posts: 46
z50 Lenses

Hi all!

Looking to get an astrophotography/portrait lens for my Z50- either used or new.

I'm looking at the following:

-Nikkor 14mm f/2.8 D
-Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G
-Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G

Out of those 3 lenses listed, which would be better worth the money? If you have other suggestions other than those, please advise. I'm open to zoom and prime lenses.

Thank you!!

Taken with kit lens, 16-50mm, edited a bit in lightroom.

-- hide signature --

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Nikon Z50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Henderson92 Junior Member • Posts: 47
Re: z50 Lenses

saltlifetardis_13 wrote:

Hi all!

Looking to get an astrophotography/portrait lens for my Z50- either used or new.

-Nikkor 14mm f/2.8 D
-Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G
-Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G

Out of those 3 lenses listed, which would be better worth the money? If you have other suggestions other than those, please advise. I'm open to zoom and prime lenses.

Thank you!!

14mm 2.8 one will not Autofocus with FTZ adapter so I wouldn't consider it.

If you are looking for a UWA lens for your Z50, AF-P 10-20mm DX lens would be a great option. It's quite affordable, light, quiet, and pretty sharp. However, Since you are interested in astrophotography, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 (one with AF motor built-in) might be the better option.

20mm 1.8G lens is a great wide-angle lens but on Z50 (DX), it's more like 30mm? 24mm 1.8G might be the better option since it will give you a 36mm FX equivalence.

35mm 1.8G, If you meant the DX version one, Great value and one of the best(out of limited DX lens line) lens you could get considering its the price.

FX version 35mm, Unless you are planning to upgrade to full-frame soon, I don't see any reason to pick full-frame version one instead of the DX one.

Why not a 50mm 1.8G lens for portrait work? it's close to 85mm(75mm on DX) portrait lens standard.

Henderson92's gear list:Henderson92's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon D300 Nikon D300S +4 more
Brueghel
Brueghel Senior Member • Posts: 1,138

I own and love the Rokinon F2.0 135mm

I use it on a Canon 6D but bought a cheap (bit less than 50$?) no-AF adapter to use it on the Z50.

No reason why it would not give great results.

But that's not really wide angle....

Brueghel's gear list:Brueghel's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon Z50 Canon EOS 6D Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +4 more
goactive Senior Member • Posts: 2,018

I have the older F mount 35mm 1.8 I used on my D500. I have not used it on my Z50 yet. It is a low-cost lens that is very sharp. For under $200 VS the new Z version that is way overpriced at $846.

Nikon is lacking for lens for the Z50 it's a shame. I would like to see a new DX Z 10-20 at F4 for under $500. Or an 8 -18mm F4.

Nikon's new Z pricing is getting to the point that in place of buying a high-priced lens you can buy a whole different camera and lens from another brand or a small point and shoot with a wide lens built on it.

But with that said I did buy the new Z 70-200 it was the most expensive lens I have got in over 27 years of shooting.

The older Nikon F mount DX 10-20 might be a good one to get.

But what is a lot better is the Tamron 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 Di II VC. I also had this and used it on my D500 and its fantastic i wish I never sold it as I went all FF and did not expect to even get another DX body now I miss it.

I shout thousands of landscapes and everything with that lens for a year traveling on the road in an RV. A very sharp lens.

Here are a few from the Tamron 10-24 and the last one of the girl is from the Nikon low cost 35mm 1.8 lens.

LFrom the Nikon 35mm 1.8

-- hide signature --

Started shooting digital back with the first 2MP cameras. Over 20 cameras later still going. I shoot family and people portraits, weddings, Sports and a little of everything.

goactive's gear list:goactive's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +21 more
Joop_S Regular Member • Posts: 496

Henderson92 wrote:

saltlifetardis_13 wrote:

Hi all!

-Nikkor 14mm f/2.8 D
-Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G
-Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G

Thank you!!

If you are looking for a UWA lens for your Z50, AF-P 10-20mm DX lens would be a great option. It's quite affordable, light, quiet, and pretty sharp. However, Since you are interested in astrophotography, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 (one with AF motor built-in) might be the better option.

Why not a 50mm 1.8G lens for portrait work? it's close to 85mm(75mm on DX) portrait lens standard.

The Tokina is the better option, but work it on the FTZ in AF mode? Current model YES but second hand? If you buy it new way I think it is the best + the 50 mm 1.8G.

Second choice is a combo with the Nikon 10-20 + the Nikon AF-S 50 f/1.4 for almost the same price.

If you don't have the FTZ you must buy it.

A other way is waiting for Nikon Z mount lenses. If Nikon think on more DX cameras they must set a DX 10-20/24 on the roadmap. (And use the compact 28 already on the roadmap if it is f/2 for astro for the time waiting on the 10-20) On the roadmap for this year are also the compact 40 and micro 50. This 2 can use for portrait on the Z50.

Joop_S's gear list:Joop_S's gear list
Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 Nikon Z 70-200 F2.8 VR Nikon Z 14-24mm F2.8
LASR Regular Member • Posts: 315

Portrait: the Z 50mm 1.8?

Astro: maybe check the LAOWA 14MM F4 FF RL ZERO-D? Have no idea how coma is corrected in this lens, and f4 may be too much. Or the Z 20mm 1.8?

No DX options in the Z system... but the gain in DX in terms of size and weight wouldn't be that much for the same physical aperture. Also wide angle mirrorless are much better corrected than their DSLR equivalents because they don't have to use retrofocus designs due to the flange distance.

TomS53 Senior Member • Posts: 1,646

Joop_S wrote:

Henderson92 wrote:

saltlifetardis_13 wrote:

Hi all!

-Nikkor 14mm f/2.8 D
-Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G
-Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G

Thank you!!

The Tokina is the better option, but work it on the FTZ in AF mode? Current model YES but second hand? If you buy it new way I think it is the best + the 50 mm 1.8G.

Second choice is a combo with the Nikon 10-20 + the Nikon AF-S 50 f/1.4 for almost the same price.

If you don't have the FTZ you must buy it.

A other way is waiting for Nikon Z mount lenses. If Nikon think on more DX cameras they must set a DX 10-20/24 on the roadmap. (And use the compact 28 already on the roadmap if it is f/2 for astro for the time waiting on the 10-20) On the roadmap for this year are also the compact 40 and micro 50. This 2 can use for portrait on the Z50.

To the OP:

If you go with the Tokina 11-16 get the 2nd version of it, as reports indicate it is better than the first. I would add that the Tokina 11-20 2.8 would be fine as well, I have one, and it works on my Z7 with the FTZ. I have not shot it alot though. I have heard good reports on the Nikon 20mm 1.8 for Milky Way photos, I have picked one up, but have not shot it yet.

With regards to the comment about the 14mm being manual, for astrophotography, you will be in manual mode anyway. Initial attempt to focus in AF is nice but not necessary as you would want to switch off AF.

I have no comment in regards to the use of your listed lenses for portraits. Stay Safe!

TomS53's gear list:TomS53's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 +9 more
PerL Forum Pro • Posts: 14,347
Re: z50 Lenses - third party options

saltlifetardis_13 wrote:

Hi all!

-Nikkor 14mm f/2.8 D
-Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G
-Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G

Thank you!!

There some third party options (manual focus) with Z-mount. I have no idea about the image quality, but some prices are very low.
Rokinon 14 2.8 for Z (399 dollars)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1475984-REG/rokinon_z14_n_14mm_f_2_8_lens_for.html

Samyang MF 14mm f/2.8 (379 dollars)

7artisans Photoelectric 35mm f/0.95 (249 dollars)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1600710-REG/7artisans_photoelectric_a003b_z_35mm_f_0_95_lens_for.html

7artisans Photoelectric 35mm f/1.2 (145 dollars)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1595884-REG/7artisans_photoelectric_a805b_35mm_f_1_2_lens_for.html

Viltrox PFU RBMH 20mm f/1.8 (399 dollars)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1599218-REG/viltrox_pfu_rbmh_20mm_f1_8_asph_z_mount_pfu_rbmh_20mm_f_1_8.html

Meike also makes some inexpensive options for Nikon Z::

https://www.amazon.com/Meike-APS-C-Aperture-Manual-Camera/dp/B08J8346B6

However, check reviews for image quality.

Michigan Sandman
Michigan Sandman Regular Member • Posts: 495

As others have stated the 14mm 2.8 Afd will not autofocus on Z cameras. I have had one for about ten years and find it a very blah lens. I have never heard any one talk about any of its qualities, only lack of same. Considering its high price when new, I'm glad I bought mine like new, but used, for 50% of original price. It sits on a shelf these days.

Michigan Sandman's gear list:Michigan Sandman's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-T10 Nikon D800E Nikon D3X +127 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads