Latest PS update and graphics card conflict?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Jestertheclown
Jestertheclown Veteran Member • Posts: 3,350
Latest PS update and graphics card conflict?

I upgraded PS to V 22.3 yesterday evening and I've found that settings for my graphics card; admittedly, not the latest and greatest, are, kind of, greyed out.

That's the only setting now available to me.

In PS's previous incarnation; V 22.2, all options, basic etc. are available, as is "Use OpenCL."

Has anyone else found this?

Is it Adobe's way of telling me that I need to upgrade my graphics card?

Or is there a way around it?

If I have to buy a new graphics card, my machine will double in value!

"It's good to be . . . . . . . . . Me!"

Sagittarius Veteran Member • Posts: 7,550
Re: Latest PS update and graphics card conflict?

Jestertheclown wrote:

I upgraded PS to V 22.3 yesterday evening and I've found that settings for my graphics card; admittedly, not the latest and greatest, are, kind of, greyed out.

That's the only setting now available to me.

In PS's previous incarnation; V 22.2, all options, basic etc. are available, as is "Use OpenCL."

Has anyone else found this?

Is it Adobe's way of telling me that I need to upgrade my graphics card?

Or is there a way around it?

If I have to buy a new graphics card, my machine will double in value!

Try to reset preferences.

-- hide signature --

Best regards

Sagittarius's gear list:Sagittarius's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-6.3G ED VR +5 more
Jestertheclown
OP Jestertheclown Veteran Member • Posts: 3,350

Sagittarius wrote:

Thanks but I tried that.

It worked the next time that I opened it but then it went back to the greyed out position with subsequent openings.

I've also uninstalled and reinstalled it several times. That also made no difference.

It looks as if I'm stuck with using an older version, which does work, yet again.

I'm going to seriously consider my options, I think.

Photoshop has failed me a few times with recent, so-called, upgrades and my subscription is up for renewal quite shortly.

I don't really want to call it a day as I've been using it for years and despite what people here will have you believe, there's nothing to touch it but I can't carry on paying for something that doesn't work properly.

Finding an alternative will be difficult.

KBurns
KBurns Regular Member • Posts: 492

After your post I checked my system and found that I have the same problem. I had noticed a performance difference after the latest PS upgrade, but I assumed that was just the product of something within PS but I guess I was wrong. I have an NVidia GeForce RTX 2060 Super video card. I did check with NVidia and there was a driver update available, but that made no difference. Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone found a solution?  Thanks!

Boomanbb
Boomanbb Veteran Member • Posts: 3,042

Maybe upgrade your video card?

-- hide signature --

Ben Boozer
Disagree without being disagreeable

Boomanbb's gear list:Boomanbb's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M3 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +12 more
Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 8,005

Did you try installing the latest driver for your video card?

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniemisner/
"Creativity can be learned and practiced, and most importantly it's absolutely possible to devise the circumstances in which you're able to be the most creative. You don't have to be born with it , and although upbringing, life experience, and your attitude do have an influence on how open a mind is to being curious about new possibilities and to solving problems in new ways." - Justin Black

Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +5 more
Jestertheclown

Boomanbb wrote:

Maybe upgrade your video card?

Not really an option.

For one thing, I'm not prepared to spend possibly a fair amount of money on an old machine and also, as had been pointed out by a poster here (sorry, can't remember who) a better card might well make no difference.

Jestertheclown

Ernie Misner wrote:

First thing I tried.

Sam B
Sam B Veteran Member • Posts: 6,284

This is most likely a driver issue.  I'm having the same problem as you.  I'm using a RTX 260 Super with 8GB of video card memory.  Either Adobe or Nvidia need to update their drivers to correct this issue.

Sam B's gear list:Sam B's gear list
Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max
Archer66 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,844

Sam B wrote:

Either Adobe or Nvidia need to update their drivers to correct this issue.

Adobe does not write GPU drivers.

PMB Regular Member • Posts: 114
Me too...

Bummer.

Good thing I keep a previous version of PS installed.

This seems to be affecting several people and several types of graphics cards.

Peter

PMB's gear list:PMB's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
stevevp Regular Member • Posts: 444

Ditto, with a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070, latest drivers and 8GB memory.

To be honest though, I don't what it said before the update.

stevevp's gear list:stevevp's gear list
Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +2 more
PMB Regular Member • Posts: 114
Re: Me too...

I noticed that the device driver for my graphics card (Quadro M2000) had not been updated in more than 12 months so I downloaded and installed the latest driver and this made no (apparent) difference to PS 22.3.

Peter

PMB's gear list:PMB's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
bmoag Senior Member • Posts: 2,936

Using something akin to the "scientific method" users can shut off what Adobe calls GPU acceleration and see if they note any difference at all in how PS functions for how they use it. There are very few functions in regular use "requiring" GPU off-loading.

There is a bug in recent versions of PS affecting brush use when GPU acceleration is turned on. You don't have to read Adobe's fix to guess what it is.

One fundamental problem is that Adobe has devoted massive resources to what is really a small market, the iPad/M1 version of PS/LR (you can assume Apple is subsidizing the effort) but continues to foist on its larger X86 paying base an ancient set of overly tweaked code amplified by shovel-ware features (e.g. Luminar has sky-replacement, so something that looks similar gets dumped into PS).

Affected users could contact Adobe support, except there really isn't any.

bmoag's gear list:bmoag's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D3300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon Z6
Ken Seals
Ken Seals Senior Member • Posts: 1,592

Since others in this thread are mentioning issues with much later video cards, you might just hang on and see if an Adobe update fixes it for your.

As a point of reference, my GTX 970 is showing full GPU functionality in my backup PC. I haven't updated PS in my main machine which has a GTX 1660 Super card. Now I'm anxious to see if that one works ok with the latest PS update.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Ken - LR ACE
FAA Remote Pilot Certificate, ATP ASMEL
Mizzou PJ '66
www.kenseals.com

Ken Seals's gear list:Ken Seals's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 8,005

Jestertheclown wrote:

Ernie Misner wrote:

First thing I tried.

Did they offer both Studio and Gaming drivers for your card?  With my GTX 1080 card I changed from Gaming to Studio driver and it works much better.

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniemisner/
"Creativity can be learned and practiced, and most importantly it's absolutely possible to devise the circumstances in which you're able to be the most creative. You don't have to be born with it , and although upbringing, life experience, and your attitude do have an influence on how open a mind is to being curious about new possibilities and to solving problems in new ways." - Justin Black

Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +5 more
stevevp Regular Member • Posts: 444

Ernie Misner wrote:

Did they offer both Studio and Gaming drivers for your card? With my GTX 1080 card I changed from Gaming to Studio driver and it works much better.

Thanks for the advice. I switched to the latest studio driver taking advice here:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-switch-between-nvidia-studio-and-gaming-drivers

Unfortunately no change.

stevevp's gear list:stevevp's gear list
Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +2 more
CrisL Contributing Member • Posts: 945

Sam B wrote:

This is most likely a driver issue. I'm having the same problem as you. I'm using a RTX 260 Super with 8GB of video card memory. Either Adobe or Nvidia need to update their drivers to correct this issue.

New STUDIO driver 03/17/2021

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/171724/en-us

CrisL's gear list:CrisL's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 950 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Nikon Coolpix P1000 +5 more
Sagittarius Veteran Member • Posts: 7,550

Apparently this is a glitch in PS and has nothing to do with video cards. When you reset preferences, it works, but next time you start PS, it does not.

-- hide signature --

Best regards

Sagittarius's gear list:Sagittarius's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-6.3G ED VR +5 more
Jestertheclown

Sagittarius wrote:

When you reset preferences, it works, but next time you start PS, it does not.

Yes, I discovered that yesterday. I was quite exited for about five minutes.

It doesn't help though.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads