Pls suggest a free stitching tool

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Carey Brown
Carey Brown Senior Member • Posts: 2,209
Pls suggest a free stitching tool

I use Photoshop to stitch mine but I'm helping a friend get started with photography and she has the Osmo Pocket that will take 4 images for a 180 degree panorama. She needs a program to stitch them and crop out the excess. Any suggestions?

-- hide signature --
 Carey Brown's gear list:Carey Brown's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV +1 more
Austinian
MOD Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 10,926
Re: Pls suggest a free stitching tool

Carey Brown wrote:

I use Photoshop to stitch mine but I'm helping a friend get started with photography and she has the Osmo Pocket that will take 4 images for a 180 degree panorama. She needs a program to stitch them and crop out the excess. Any suggestions?

Try Microsoft ICE and/or Hugin. Both good, but quite different.

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +2 more
TomS53 Senior Member • Posts: 1,545

Carey Brown wrote:

Try the MS ICE.  It was free to download when I got it (I think it is still free).  I have used it a few times, it has been awhile; this was before I got & started learning Lightroom & Photoshop.  You might check for other threads that have mentioned MS ICE, as I remember reading comments but can not point you to anything specific at this time.  Good Luck!  Stay Safe!

TomS53's gear list:TomS53's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 +8 more
John Marsh Regular Member • Posts: 354

Per the Microsoft web site ICE will only work on Windows 8 and earlier operating systems.

John marsh

Patco Forum Pro • Posts: 15,123

John Marsh wrote:

Per the Microsoft web site ICE will only work on Windows 8 and earlier operating systems.

Not sure where you got that (older version, perhaps?), but Microsoft states on this Image Composite Editor (ICE) page that it works with 32 & 64 bit Vista up to Windows 10:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/product/computational-photography-applications/image-composite-editor/

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels.

lokatz
lokatz Senior Member • Posts: 2,233

John Marsh wrote:

John marsh

ICE still works great on my Windows 10 notebook.

It is a real phenomenon: introduced more than 10 years ago and essentially left for dead by MS in 2015, it is still extremely fast, easy to use, accurate, and feels modern. I would pay money for it if it wasn't free anyway. Highly recommended!

lokatz's gear list:lokatz's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 II Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +29 more
Carey Brown
OP Carey Brown Senior Member • Posts: 2,209
Thanks for the responses. Update...

Thanks for the feedback.

So far.

Hugin: Very good but the interface not noob friendly. May have to do with this one and provide my friend with some basic instructions. It's a nice alternative for me though.

MS ICE: I couldn't find a place to download it. All links led to "discontinued".

PhotoStitcher: Definitely a noob interface but failed to stitch much of the time.

-- hide signature --
Patco Forum Pro • Posts: 15,123
Re: Thanks for the responses. Update...

Carey Brown wrote:

MS ICE: I couldn't find a place to download it. All links led to "discontinued".

I just now tried the link supplied by Castorix31 on this page with success:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/252274/how-to-download-image-composite-editor-20.html

It's byte-for-byte identical to the file I downloaded from MS a few years ago, and it scanned at VirusTotal with no detections.

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels.

sludge21017
sludge21017 Senior Member • Posts: 2,777

Carey Brown wrote:

The Osmo pocket software?

DJI Media Maker.

Okay - it's not specific to the pocket - but it's OSMO. markr041 had used it in the action camera forum here.

Here's teh link: DJI Media Maker- Download Center - DJI

Here's one of his posts:

Same Pano Stitched by Two Different Programs: VR / Action Cameras Forum: Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com)

You can also use the DJI app, but it's not as high resolution on the phone.

Carey Brown
OP Carey Brown Senior Member • Posts: 2,209
MS ICE - Got it!

Patco wrote:

Carey Brown wrote:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/252274/how-to-download-image-composite-editor-20.html

It's byte-for-byte identical to the file I downloaded from MS a few years ago, and it scanned at VirusTotal with no detections.

Thanks very much, Patco.

This is the best one I've tried. A definite keeper.

A minor nit that this and other programs do is timestamp the stitched file to match the timestamp of one of the source images. I would rather see it use an up to the millisecond timestamp of the stitching instead. But I'm not going to ignore the programs for that minor fault.

-- hide signature --
lokatz
lokatz Senior Member • Posts: 2,233
Re: MS ICE - Got it!

FWIW, if anyone is worried about virus risks, I suggest downloading ICE from this page (the lower two links; the upper one again leads to the broken Microsoft page): https://www.heise.de/download/product/image-composite-editor-ice-58832/download

Heise is the publishing house of Germany's largest and best (by a wide margin) IT magazines, including one that focuses on IT security.  All of their downloads are guaranteed to be 100% virus free.

lokatz's gear list:lokatz's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 II Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +29 more
James Gaston Regular Member • Posts: 375

Another vote for MS ICE. I was using it earlier today in fact, on a Win10 pro machine. I also use LR and then compare the results.

ICE is excellent and offers more flexibility than LR but since my photos are in LR it's the easier to use.

James Gaston's gear list:James Gaston's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-Pro2 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +20 more
bobkoure
bobkoure Senior Member • Posts: 1,646
Re: Thanks for the responses. Update...

Patco wrote:

Carey Brown wrote:

Another win for Brewster Khale's Internet Archive and the Wayback machine!

bobkoure's gear list:bobkoure's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads