Golden Morning at Valley View: a Collateral Benefit

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
birdofthegalaxy
birdofthegalaxy Regular Member • Posts: 181
Golden Morning at Valley View: a Collateral Benefit

I traveled to Yosemite to see and photograph the firefall a couple weeks ago. That all worked out well, and as others have noted it is certainly something to do, though not by any means a secret so one needs to be comfortable in the presence of literally thousands of other photographers.

The wonderful scene at Valley View is no secret either, but the first morning I was in Yosemite a light snow had fallen the night before and low clouds and gold light were present at sunrise, sort of like an Alfred Bierstadt painting. I captured this scene. I guess Valley View is special pretty much any morning but I am glad I saw it this way.

birdofthegalaxy's gear list:birdofthegalaxy's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon Z7 II Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +5 more
Lan Senior Member • Posts: 2,742
Re: Golden Morning at Valley View: a Collateral Benefit

A cracking shot; and it makes a really pleasant change from the usual somewhat clichéd views we so often see of this spot. Well done!

Lihkin
Lihkin Senior Member • Posts: 2,813

Lovely shot. I regret not going in the mornings to try to get some dawn/ early morning shots.

Cheers,

-- hide signature --
 Lihkin's gear list:Lihkin's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.4G +3 more
jkjond
jkjond Forum Pro • Posts: 10,264

Beautiful shot. I'd have this over any of the 1000s of firefall photos every time.

-- hide signature --

Wedding and fine art photographer https://johnleechstudio.smugmug.com
You are welcome to reprocess and repost my pics on DPR.

drynn Contributing Member • Posts: 811

Nice.

GCam Veteran Member • Posts: 9,448

jkjond wrote:

Beautiful shot. I'd have this over any of the 1000s of firefall photos every time.

Not to diminish the efforts and desires of those who seek that iconic shot, but anyone who has spent a lot of time around the rear of horses knows that the scene looks more like a horse relieving itself than a horse's tail.  I get emails from a site called "Brain Pickings," by Maria Popova and this scene reminds me of one of her quotes from being with nature:  Not a fiftieth part of your imaginings will you, ever, later recapture, note down, reduce to dull inadequate words, but meantime the mind has been stretched itself, and had its holiday.  gc

NikonMan09
NikonMan09 Contributing Member • Posts: 507

Very nice!  It suggests to me what Ansel Adams might have done had he lived today with all the flexibility to digitally expose and process color that we have today!

Best wishes,

-- hide signature --

Fred
Shot Minolta SLR/DSLR and Sony DSLR 1978-2008. Switched to Nikon in 2009.

NikonMan09's gear list:NikonMan09's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +11 more
Gary from Seattle Veteran Member • Posts: 5,507

Very beautiful. You made good use of great lighting.

Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +5 more
MOD rick decker Forum Pro • Posts: 17,463

Yes I agree with you on that...I think the  falls are over-rated.

-- hide signature --

You have my express consent to edit any of my images that I post on DPR. If you want to edit an image that does not belong to me that I have edited and posted, you need to contact the owner.
---
http://www.lightreflection.com
http://www.rickswavepics.com

JE River Regular Member • Posts: 229

Wonderful shot and light!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads