Z50 vs X-T30 for theatre photography

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
sharkyofcuths Regular Member • Posts: 126
Z50 vs X-T30 for theatre photography

After procrastinating for two years, I’ve decided to bite the bullet and upgrade my camera.

I done a lot of research and have whittled it down to two systems that will fit my budget (around £1,200 secondhand)

Nikon Z50 + 16-50, 50-250 and 50 f1.8

Fuji X-T30 + 16-50, 50-230 and 50 f2

I will primarily be using it for indoor theatre photography (a mixture of silent/electronic and mechanical depending on the type of lighting used), and some bird photography.

I don't want to use a FTZ, so I'm effectively starting off with a blank slate lens wise.

So I’m looking for something with

• good image quality (especially at higher ISOs)
  • good eye-AF, especially in low light.
  • No issues with shutter shock between 1/60 and 1/180

Which one should I go for? I'm going to make a firm decision by the end of this month, so I can get it in time for Easter. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Fujifilm X-T30 Nikon Z50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 19,440
Re: Z50 vs X-T30 for theatre photography

Subtle differences.  If possible, rent first.

Kelly

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic G85
AstroVagabond
AstroVagabond Regular Member • Posts: 422

Here is a side by side of some of the technical specifications:

https://www.digicamdb.com/compare/fujifilm_x-t30-vs-nikon_z50/

No information on the difference in auto focus capabilities of the two which would be of interest to me if making a purchase.

(Disclaimer: Everything I post on DPReview fora is my opinion and should be treated as such unless you believe in what my opinion states. In that case it may be fact and not opinion. The reader should decide appropriately.)

-- hide signature --

Mount: HEQ5 Pro / Scope: WO ZenithStar 61 II w/Z61A Field Flattener
Polar Scope: QHY Polemaster :: Camera: ZWO ASI294MM Pro
Guide Scope: UniGuide 32mm & ZWO ASI120MM Mini :: Bortle Class 8
N.I.N.A., PHD2, Cartes du Ciel, Astro Pixel Processor, Photoshop
https://www.youtube.com/astrovagabond
https://blog.astrovagabond.com

AstroVagabond's gear list:AstroVagabond's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
ChelseaPhotographer
ChelseaPhotographer Contributing Member • Posts: 915

sharkyofcuths wrote:

After procrastinating for two years, I’ve decided to bite the bullet and upgrade my camera.

I done a lot of research and have whittled it down to two systems that will fit my budget (around £1,200 secondhand)

Nikon Z50 + 16-50, 50-250 and 50 f1.8

Fuji X-T30 + 16-50, 50-230 and 50 f2

I will primarily be using it for indoor theatre photography (a mixture of silent/electronic and mechanical depending on the type of lighting used), and some bird photography.

I don't want to use a FTZ, so I'm effectively starting off with a blank slate lens wise.

So I’m looking for something with

• good image quality (especially at higher ISOs)
  • good eye-AF, especially in low light.
  • No issues with shutter shock between 1/60 and 1/180

Which one should I go for? I'm going to make a firm decision by the end of this month, so I can get it in time for Easter. Any suggestions would be welcome.

if you can, rent them. But if you can't, go to the camera store and give them a good test. Handling the cameras for a few minutes can make a huge difference in your decision making process.

ChelseaPhotographer's gear list:ChelseaPhotographer's gear list
SeaLife DC2000 Ricoh GR III Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS Nikon D850 +1 more
OP sharkyofcuths Regular Member • Posts: 126

Sadly, it's not going to be possible to test them until non-essential stores re-open in the UK on April 12th.

Does anyone who has used either (or both) of these systems have a view on their relative merits?

rwant101 New Member • Posts: 5

I shoot theatre with my X-T20. With both bodies being similarly capable, I think it comes down to the lenses; especially with stage lighting. If you're shooting on-the-run in addition to staged, photocall type work, you'll need the flexibility zooms offer (as your research suggests). In low light theatrical conditions, I often find my 18-55 2.8-4 isn't fast enough; the 16-50 will be even worse capturing dimly lit scenes.

Fast primes will work for staged shots with adequate light or if you can roam every area of the theatre freely while you shoot, but you're going to miss a lot of shots with that 50 2.0 if you're only shooting on-the-run. You may want to consider the 16-55 2.8 and don't get the 50 if your budget allows. The 50-230 will give you enough reach to shoot close-up details of costumes, props, small scenic elements, etc., but only with enough light.

I can't speak to Nikon's lenses

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads