Can someone explain this photo?

Started 2 months ago | Questions
Chris5437 Junior Member • Posts: 48
Can someone explain this photo?

Shot on an M6ii with 1/4000 electronic shutter (in raw burst mode). At that shutter speed I would expect the motion to be frozen? At least hummingbird wings are frozen at that speed, surely this small bird is not faster than that. I'm guessing this is something to do with the electronic shutter? I am aware of rolling shutter for panning shots, but this was not that.

Does anyone know why this happened?

Chris5437's gear list:Chris5437's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Sigma 30mm F1.4 (E/EF-M mounts) Canon 70-300 F4-5.6 IS II
ANSWER:
R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 22,686
Re: Can someone explain this photo?

Chris5437 wrote:

Shot on an M6ii with 1/4000 electronic shutter (in raw burst mode). At that shutter speed I would expect the motion to be frozen? At least hummingbird wings are frozen at that speed, surely this small bird is not faster than that. I'm guessing this is something to do with the electronic shutter? I am aware of rolling shutter for panning shots, but this was not that.

Same principle.

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5
Rock and Rollei Senior Member • Posts: 2,304

Did you take it a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away? Looks like  an X-wing swallow to me.
(I think it's indeed rolling shutter, FWIW)

Rock and Rollei's gear list:Rock and Rollei's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +29 more
OP Chris5437 Junior Member • Posts: 48

X-Wing swallow indeed πŸ˜‚.  R2D2, what confuses me is that I've taken photos of hummingbirds with similar settings but this is the first time I've seen this affect. Is it simply that this wing was moving faster horizontally? Or is there some other contributing factor?

Actually I use the raw burst mode quite often but this is the first time I've seen this effect; but also the first time shooting this particular bird.

Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Sigma 30mm F1.4 (E/EF-M mounts) Canon 70-300 F4-5.6 IS II
OP Chris5437 Junior Member • Posts: 48

Technical correction; tie-fighter swallow

Sittatunga Senior Member • Posts: 2,941

Chris5437 wrote:

The electronic shutter takes just under a twentieth of a second to scan from top to bottom of the frame.  It manages a 1/4000 shutter speed by reading a strip of the sensor just over 80 microns wide at that scanning speed, in the same way that the curtains of a focal plane shutter don't open completely at speeds faster than the X-synch speed.

In this case it looks as if the electronic shutter caught the tips of the wings at the top when it opened and followed them down.  It's rolling shutter, the same as the bendy golf club or aeroplane propellor pictures you see from time to time.

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.

Chris5437 wrote:

Technical correction; tie-fighter swallow

LOL, too funny!Β 

R2

-- hide signature --

Chris5437 wrote:

X-Wing swallow indeed πŸ˜‚. R2D2, what confuses me is that I've taken photos of hummingbirds with similar settings but this is the first time I've seen this affect. Is it simply that this wing was moving faster horizontally? Or is there some other contributing factor?

Actually I use the raw burst mode quite often but this is the first time I've seen this effect; but also the first time shooting this particular bird.

+1 What Sittatunga wrote.

This "effect" is exacerbated by closeness to the subject, and increased angular velocity (in the case of fast-moving wings).

Fortunately it's a pretty rare occurrence (IME) and I haven't seen it very often myself, though I don't use RAW burst mode very much (I normally use a standard high speed mShutter burst). I think I only have one M6ii shot saved that exhibits something similar, though not identical...

Rolling shutter effect. Ghost wings.

And one from the R5...

Click on original size to see the "aliasing" more clearly on the wingtips.

I've shot lots of hummers too (mostly with mShutter but some with eShutter) and haven't found rolling shutter to be a problem. So keep on doing what works for you!

R2

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads