Linking Landscape Photographs to Maps

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
HD2007 New Member • Posts: 8
Linking Landscape Photographs to Maps

A project about linking photographs to maps so that
any corresponding location can be identified.

Screenshots and usage information

Demo installation with examples of geoaligned images

How to prepare and view your own images

Github project

Helmut Dersch der(at)hs-furtwangen.de March 2021

Jeff DLB
Jeff DLB Regular Member • Posts: 205
Re: Linking Landscape Photographs to Maps

Very interesting project! I try to georeference all my outdoor photos, using either a GPS track from my hike or manually using GeoTag on the Mac (https://www.snafu.org/GeoTag/). It used to be easy to get photos into Google Maps/Earth using Panoramio, but that has been discontinued.

Your software seems to augment the information by computing the actual viewshed instead of just showing a dot where the camera was located. Is there a way to run it as a strictly local application without going through a browser and the security restrictions?

-- hide signature --
 Jeff DLB's gear list:Jeff DLB's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +1 more
OP HD2007 New Member • Posts: 8

It needs a browser. Firefox is least annoying regarding security restrictions.

The program does indeed calculate the viewshed covered by the photograph, and it does so pixel-by-pixel, i.e. any point in the image can be clicked and identified in the map, and vice-versa.

Helmut Dersch

jhorse Veteran Member • Posts: 4,690

As a hiker, last in the Jungfrau region in August 2019 (Aug 20 trip cancelled), I can relate to the area. Will explore the post in more detail at the weekend. Thanks for posting it.

-- hide signature --
 jhorse's gear list:jhorse's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads