Can't get AF-C / Tracking to work while filming (a6400)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Tiago C Junior Member • Posts: 42
Can't get AF-C / Tracking to work while filming (a6400)

Hi,

I've tried various settings and can't get AF-C / Tracking to work while filming. While taking photos it works fine.

AF-C is set but while filming it is behaving like AF-S and the Tracking AF modes are greyed out.

After acquiring focus while filming, the camera won't track/follow the subject.

It sounds like I'm missing an obvious setting. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tiago

Martin_99 Senior Member • Posts: 1,642
Re: Can't get AF-C / Tracking to work while filming (a6400)

Tiago C wrote:

Hi,

I've tried various settings and can't get AF-C / Tracking to work while filming. While taking photos it works fine.

I don't do much videos, but I just tried it.

AF-C is set but while filming it is behaving like AF-S and the Tracking AF modes are greyed out.

This is correct, no tracking modes available

After acquiring focus while filming, the camera won't track/follow the subject.

...but camera track the subject, in my case camera detected a face and followed (white square)

It sounds like I'm missing an obvious setting. Any suggestions?

I didn't find the menu in which this behavior can be changed. I would suggest to restart camera into original setting.

Thanks,

Tiago

Martin_99's gear list:Martin_99's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS
danny006 Senior Member • Posts: 1,309

You have to turn on 'Touch operation' and touch the screen. Then a white box will appear around your subject and it will track it.

And don't forget to set 'Func. of Touch Operation' to 'Touch Tracking'.

If you want to cancel the tracking then press the little x on the top right corner.

danny006's gear list:danny006's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3
OP Tiago C Junior Member • Posts: 42

Thanks for your suggestions. 'Touch operation' was already 'on'. Touch still wont track. Also, was hoping to use the viewnder since it's more suitable for long focal lengths.

Does anyone have more suggestions?

Thanks

UPDATE:

I've now learned how to track using the touchscreen by setting the 'Func. of Touch Operation' to 'Touch Tracking'.

Is there a way to track using the viewfinder? I want to film like I photograph. It shouldn't be so hard Sony.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads