FZ2500 or RX10 iv

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
RJake1 Regular Member • Posts: 284
FZ2500 or RX10 iv

Been tempted to upgrade from my Sony RX10 to RX10 iv but have to admit the Panasonic line of cameras is very intriguing.  Any advice as to FZ1000 ii and/or FZ2500 vs the Sony?  A bit less of reach with Panasonic, of course, but the trade-off in cost is significant.  I'm most interested in still photos and image quality.

I'm also considering the Lumix ZS100 ii for a pocketable long reach so any thoughts on that would be welcomed.

Finally, that Lumix LX100 ii is a great looking camera.  4/3 with retro dials.  Very tempting.

So many cameras....so little time (and money)!

Thanks (and if this is wrong forum for this post please accept my apologies).

RJake1's gear list:RJake1's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX1 Sony RX100 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony a6500 +1 more
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic FZ2500 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic ZS100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX10 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jerry045
Jerry045 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,680
Re: FZ2500 or RX10 iv

First....   I have not used or have any experience with a FZ2500. All of my comments are based on comments posted on this forum and the Sony forum.

That said, the FZ2500 is less expensive than the RX10iv. But the RX10iv has a longer reach, 600 mm vs 480 mm.

The RX10iv is tack sharp throughout its full zoom range. It has been commented that the FZ2500 might soften slightly at full zoom. Now how much and would the difference be noticeable is open for interpretation. I have no data to back that up.

Sony's menu system is different from Panasonic's. If you are used to one, the other will feel cumbersome. The same goes for handling. The knobs and controls are in different places. One must get used to either camera.

I have been using a RX10iv and before that a RX10iii for about 6 or so years and I am very comfortable with it. There was a bit of a transition coming from a FZ150, but there will be a similar relearning with any new camera.

It has been stated that the RX10iv might be slightly sharper than the FZ2500. Again, you probably have to delve deeply down into the pixel level to determine this. I suspect this would not be noticeable at any normal viewing distances.

Each camera has a couple of nice modes, not found in the other.

I cannot comment on video at all, as I only take stills.

In my case, doing a lot of wildlife photography, the longer reach of the Sony was my deciding factor, but everyone has different needs.

I would say you need to see which camera best meets your personal shooting style and requirements and go in that direction.

Jerry045's gear list:Jerry045's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Sony RX10 IV +2 more
sherman_levine
sherman_levine Forum Pro • Posts: 12,753

All of the cameras you're considering are quite excellent, but they fit different niches. Do you need something small for travel? Are you a birder for whom long zoom is the overwhelming factor? Will you print 20x30" or will you view on your 2mpx monitor? Can you tolerate a bit of noise in your images?  Do you want to supplement your RX10 or replace it entirely?

A bit more data might help to aim us in the proper direction

-- hide signature --
 sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P950
OP RJake1 Regular Member • Posts: 284

sherman_levine wrote:

All of the cameras you're considering are quite excellent, but they fit different niches. Do you need something small for travel? Are you a birder for whom long zoom is the overwhelming factor? Will you print 20x30" or will you view on your 2mpx monitor? Can you tolerate a bit of noise in your images? Do you want to supplement your RX10 or replace it entirely?

Thanks.  Mostly use camera for travel photos - landscape.  Like a bit of reach for those scenes.  Also use of general family stuff = graduation portraits, etc.  Typically get photobbooks printed or view on TV.  Portability not critical.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX1 Sony RX100 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony a6500 +1 more
bluzman
bluzman Senior Member • Posts: 1,046

RJake1 wrote:

sherman_levine wrote:

All of the cameras you're considering are quite excellent, but they fit different niches. Do you need something small for travel? Are you a birder for whom long zoom is the overwhelming factor? Will you print 20x30" or will you view on your 2mpx monitor? Can you tolerate a bit of noise in your images? Do you want to supplement your RX10 or replace it entirely?

Thanks. Mostly use camera for travel photos - landscape. Like a bit of reach for those scenes. Also use of general family stuff = graduation portraits, etc. Typically get photobbooks printed or view on TV. Portability not critical.

I enjoy shooting shooting things that are in motion like birds in flight. Because of that, the most significant difference between the FZ1000 II or FZ2000/2500 and the Sony, IMO, is that the Panasonics use Contrast Detection AF whereas the Sony employs Phase Detection AF. PDAF seems to do a better job when there's action.

Since you've indicated that action is not your intended type of subject, I'd suggest one of the Panasonic cameras.

bluzman's gear list:bluzman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Nikon D750 Nikon D7500 Nikon D3500 Nikon Z50 +19 more

I took the plunge and ordered a Lumix ZS200 today (which I incorrectly referred to as a ZS100 ii above).  
I hope to use this in lieu of my Sony RX100 ii as the Lumix offers quite a longer reach.  Can't wait to test it out.

I'm still debating the larger models (RX 10 iv vs FZ1000 ii or FZ2500) but, heck, that's part of the fun!

sherman_levine
sherman_levine Forum Pro • Posts: 12,753

RJake1 wrote:

I took the plunge and ordered a Lumix ZS200 today (which I incorrectly referred to as a ZS100 ii above).
I hope to use this in lieu of my Sony RX100 ii as the Lumix offers quite a longer reach. Can't wait to test it out.

I'm still debating the larger models (RX 10 iv vs FZ1000 ii or FZ2500) but, heck, that's part of the fun!

That sounds like a good choice for you. It's a lot smaller than the other cameras you're considering.  Most of the differences people discuss are "compare camera A with camera B and you'll see that..." rather than "does camera A give me a picture I'm happy with".

BTW, the metal curtain which covers the ZS200 lens at powerdown is a bit fragile.

-- hide signature --
 sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P950

sherman_levine wrote:

RJake1 wrote:

I hope to use this in lieu of my Sony RX100 ii as the Lumix offers quite a longer reach. Can't wait to test it out.

That sounds like a good choice for you. It's a lot smaller than the other cameras you're considering. Most of the differences people discuss are "compare camera A with camera B and you'll see that..." rather than "does camera A give me a picture I'm happy with".

BTW, the metal curtain which covers the ZS200 lens at powerdown is a bit fragile.

Thanks for the tip about the shutter cover.  I'll be extra careful.  I still like the feel of a larger camera but, for now, I think the Lumix will give me the extra reach I need.  Coupled with my original RX10 I should be set for a while.  But, of course, "a while" simply means until I get the itch to buy something new again!!  LOL!

kkardster
kkardster Veteran Member • Posts: 9,910

RJake1 wrote:

I was reading through this thread and was going to recommend the ZS200 when I saw you'd already purchased it! I have been happily shooting with my wife's ZS100, occasionally missing the reach of my FZ200. The ZS200 has more reach and better handling than the ZS100, so I think you made a good choice.

The FZ2500 has a bit more reach than the FZ1000 II but it is a video-oriented product. It's "soft lens" rap in some cases may be due to its default out-of-box configuration that review sites often use. There may also be some build variability, so if it's too soft, one might try another before giving up on it.

The FZ1000 II is the best bang for the buck in the market today. Panasonic cameras have a reputation for not skimping and putting lots of features into their cameras. Competing models may lack RAW or a hot shoe or filter threads or articulating screen or performance but the FZs offer all that and more. (The exception being the consumer-oriented FZ80, which competes more on specs but has seen improvement as the FZXX series has matured.) For a stills shooter, the FZ1000 Ii would be my Panasonic recommendation.

Panasonic fans have been pining for a longer version of the FZ1000 but had to settle for the more refined mark II. With COVID and the shrinking camera market, it's unlikely we'll ever see that as Panasonic may let Nikon own that piece of the shrinking pie. But to me that represents the market that cell phones can't reach so I hold out hope. Years ago many were expecting a follow-on to the FZ200 when Panasonic surprised the market with the FZ1000 instead. And then the unexpected LX7 update to the LX100. Maybe they have another trick up their sleeve?...

-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic ZS100 +5 more

Camera arrived today already!  Wow.  Fast.  Can't wait to charge it up and try it out this afternoon!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads