LG V30 + A Photo

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
JasonS70 Contributing Member • Posts: 575
LG V30 + A Photo

Hi,

This is my first post in this section, I don't do a great deal of photo taking with my phones but i recently picked up a used LG V30+ and thought I would give it a go. I promptly found a version of gcam that works nicely and the below is a shot I recently took. It is the raw image processed using Android Photoshop. Quite happy with the result and surprised to tell you the truth.

Cheers

Jason

Nikon 1 V3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Saabster Regular Member • Posts: 281
Re: LG V30 + A Photo

I had a V30 that after 3 years I traded for the Samsung S21Ultra. I agree the V30 was somewhat underrated and had a good camera especially in Pro Mode.

My older LG V10 had what was probably the best phone camera I ever used especially in Pro Mode and RAW format.

mapachebasura Forum Member • Posts: 98

So I have a V20 (have had no reason to upgrade tbh). It is not my primary photo taker and I have spent the last decade+ using DSLRs and shooting in raw. I've used raw in other phone cams.

I CANNOT for the life of me get this thing to produce a DNG file that yields literally anything usable.

I do a jpg+raw combo when shooting manual. The jpg looks fine (just not exactly how I want it, obv). But the raw image, when I load it into Photoshop on my PC... Lordy. It's unsalvagable.

What the hell am I doing wrong? It's always completely blown out, out of focus and no amount of adjustments can retrieve anything useful. What the hell am I doing wrong?

Saabster Regular Member • Posts: 281

mapachebasura wrote:

So I have a V20 (have had no reason to upgrade tbh). It is not my primary photo taker and I have spent the last decade+ using DSLRs and shooting in raw. I've used raw in other phone cams.

I CANNOT for the life of me get this thing to produce a DNG file that yields literally anything usable.

I do a jpg+raw combo when shooting manual. The jpg looks fine (just not exactly how I want it, obv). But the raw image, when I load it into Photoshop on my PC... Lordy. It's unsalvagable.

What the hell am I doing wrong? It's always completely blown out, out of focus and no amount of adjustments can retrieve anything useful. What the hell am I doing wrong?

Can you post a sample? Or send me one? I never had the V20, just the 10 & 30 which gave good images. The 10 was significantly better than the 30.

I very, very much miss my V10 also. I took so many great shots on it but ended up getting it destroyed right when I got back from a trip. Only managed to salvage half of them. Thus ending up with a V20 - a phone I'm still using since it was new and I like but... I'm a little meh on the cam.

So this is the result. Neither is especially great to be clear, I think they are just semi-indicative. I get that the jpg is going to have interpolation and computational whatever. It just seems like even with all the extra data of a raw file, I can't get some of the same qualities.

https://app.box.com/s/53c0ck66c1jqc7jko9oy8fhb9a9pj4c4

FranciscoPaixao New Member • Posts: 9

mapachebasura wrote:

I very, very much miss my V10 also. I took so many great shots on it but ended up getting it destroyed right when I got back from a trip. Only managed to salvage half of them. Thus ending up with a V20 - a phone I'm still using since it was new and I like but... I'm a little meh on the cam.

So this is the result. Neither is especially great to be clear, I think they are just semi-indicative. I get that the jpg is going to have interpolation and computational whatever. It just seems like even with all the extra data of a raw file, I can't get some of the same qualities.

https://app.box.com/s/53c0ck66c1jqc7jko9oy8fhb9a9pj4c4

I had a G4, G6, V20 and V30.
RAW files from the V20 needed a bit of correction but were definetly usable. The wide angle was a bit poor and is much improved on the V30.
The RAW files of these older models are quite easy to work on because they already have some correction applied, with saturation adjustment and no vignetting. They're often a bit overexposed tought.
The new models, V60 and Velvet have none of these adjustments and the image needs a lot of correction.

Oh, to be clear I know this is likely user error on my end.

It just has turned into a headache that I can figure out how to resolve even with many years of retouching and editing (some professional work on that end even)

Just been a head scratcher and figured I may as we ask haha

FranciscoPaixao New Member • Posts: 9

aha, no worries, I was just trying to help. I really liked my V20!
Your problem is very common, RAW photos on smartphones usually look a lot worse than the JPEGs, but after a lot of tweaking the RAW files can look better. I believe it has something to due with the small sensors of phones having lots of digital noise.
On a DSLR the RAW files are much better.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads