A New Conjunction - Jupiter-Mercury...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
atom14
atom14 Senior Member • Posts: 2,563
A New Conjunction - Jupiter-Mercury...

I was so morose

at having missed out on the recent Jupiter-Saturn conjunction due entirely to bad weather, and by no means my fault

But today dawned as a "frabjuous day" when I looked up and beheld this small event, which I soon identified as a conjunction of Jupiter and Mercury

Exposure for the first was a compromise - overdoing Jupiter to register a bit of Mercury, but it was mainly for the scene (F=63mm with OS switched on and "drattedly hard" manual focusing). The second was - who ya gonna call? - with a phone cam for a much wider shot of the scene, (a bit of silhouetted suburbia).

but the phone cam simply could not record Mercury

It took a bit of tweaking to get the first shot looking "right", but mostly just an
Auto Levels.

Astrophiles, this should be visible "for some time..."

Reduced size images mainly for the overall scene:

1) Jupiter-Mercury with SD1M and 50-500...

2) Wider view with phone camera (Mercury not visible)...

Sigma SD1 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 19,054
Re: A New Conjunction - Jupiter-Mercury...

atom14 wrote:

I was so morose

at having missed out on the recent Jupiter-Saturn conjunction due entirely to bad weather, and by no means my fault

But today dawned as a "frabjuous day" when I looked up and beheld this small event, which I soon identified as a conjunction of Jupiter and Mercury

Exposure for the first was a compromise - overdoing Jupiter to register a bit of Mercury, but it was mainly for the scene (F=63mm with OS switched on and "drattedly hard" manual focusing). The second was - who ya gonna call? - with a phone cam for a much wider shot of the scene, (a bit of silhouetted suburbia).

but the phone cam simply could not record Mercury

It took a bit of tweaking to get the first shot looking "right", but mostly just an
Auto Levels.

Astrophiles, this should be visible "for some time..."

Reduced size images mainly for the overall scene:

1) Jupiter-Mercury with SD1M and 50-500...

Pretty good, that SD1M, eh?

For others' here info, Jupiter is between 30 and 50 arc-sec wide; Mercury is 4.5 and13 arc-sec wide.

So, at 63mm focal length, 50 arc-sec is about 3 Merrill sensor pixels wide.

-- hide signature --

Pedantry is hard work, but someone's gotta do it ...

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Sigma SD9 Sigma SD15 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads