ALL Cartridges Not Recognized

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Ramonn Regular Member • Posts: 176
ALL Cartridges Not Recognized

The following pertains to my Epson R1900 with OEM cartridges:

On performing a nozzle check the CO channel was blocked. I did several nozzle checks and cleanings to no avail. I then tried the paper towel with Windex and followed with direct injection with tubing.
At some point I got a message that the cartridges (all eight) were not recognized. An online search suggested that fluid had shorted a circuit and with drying the problem would be corrected. This did not occur.
I spoke with Epson Support who suggested that a sensor was malfunctioning and could not recognize the carts. I contacted a local service repairman who surmised it was a specific circuit board that needed replacement but the part was no longer available.(He did not physically work on the printer. His opinion was based on our phone calls.)
I then explained to him that if I insert each cartridge individually it appears the charging process occurs and the indicator light goes out indicating, I believe , the specific cartridge is recognized. However when I do the very last cartridge then all indicator lights are back on and none of the cartridges are recognized.
Do you think there is damage to the printer or is this more a software or "sequencing " problem? Do you think a reset key would solve the problem?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Rich42 Senior Member • Posts: 1,939
Re: ALL Cartridges Not Recognized
1

Welcome to the frustration of owning Epson printers. If it’s any consolation, your printer head was probably near complete failure before your efforts with cleaning and flushing the head.

Despite what you probably read on the Internet about the advisability of performing the procedures you described, you simply hastened the heads onto their ultimate deaths.

It simply doesn’t work. Flushing the head destroys the piezo elements inside.

The only insult you didn’t experience was a service technician quoting you a repair price far greater than the price of a whole new printer.

Rich

Innocentius Contributing Member • Posts: 881
Re: ALL Cartridges Not Recognized

Rich42 wrote:

Welcome to the frustration of owning Epson printers. If it’s any consolation, your printer head was probably near complete failure before your efforts with cleaning and flushing the head.

Despite what you probably read on the Internet about the advisability of performing the procedures you described, you simply hastened the heads onto their ultimate deaths.

It simply doesn’t work. Flushing the head destroys the piezo elements inside.

The only insult you didn’t experience was a service technician quoting you a repair price far greater than the price of a whole new printer.

Rich

Every now and then I tend to buy an Epson because I really want to try BIG printing on a roll. And every now and then I am shied away by these kinds of posts. Worked with HP before (blue ribbon customer service!) and have a A3+ Canon printer now (which appears to be virtually indestructable and works happily with oem inks).

I only wonder if these Epson complaints are in line with their sales

 Innocentius's gear list:Innocentius's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough 6010 Sigma DP1x Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon PowerShot A1200 Sigma DP3 Merrill +10 more
Rich42 Senior Member • Posts: 1,939
Re: ALL Cartridges Not Recognized
1

Innocentius wrote:

Rich42 wrote:

Welcome to the frustration of owning Epson printers. If it’s any consolation, your printer head was probably near complete failure before your efforts with cleaning and flushing the head.

Despite what you probably read on the Internet about the advisability of performing the procedures you described, you simply hastened the heads onto their ultimate deaths.

It simply doesn’t work. Flushing the head destroys the piezo elements inside.

The only insult you didn’t experience was a service technician quoting you a repair price far greater than the price of a whole new printer.

Rich

Every now and then I tend to buy an Epson because I really want to try BIG printing on a roll. And every now and then I am shied away by these kinds of posts. Worked with HP before (blue ribbon customer service!) and have a A3+ Canon printer now (which appears to be virtually indestructable and works happily with oem inks).

I only wonder if these Epson complaints are in line with their sales

Epson are capable of the highest quality work. And in general, they are generally dependable. But a fact of life is that printer heads fail. I don't know what the failure rate is. But it is significant and the problem with Epson is that it is so expensive to repair a head that one may as well buy a new printer. Which is an absurd situation.

A large printing house has no real problem with that situation. Time is money. Machines must be kept running. If business is coming in the door, the most destructive thing is for equipment to be down. They have long term service contracts and their machines serviced immediately when needed. The cost of that service is built into their pricing. To them it is worth the cost. Even though the service exceeds the cost of replacing a machine, the time necessary to do either favors servicing the existing equipment.

Replacing a print head is so difficult in an Epson that it is quite beyond the capability of anyone not trained and with a lot of experience doing such work. It is possible to do following "secret" information that can be found with a lot of digging, but so time consuming and messy for anyone not performing such tasks on a daily basis as to be completely out of the question.

A photographer working at home can't afford such a "business plan." (Unless he/she is also getting a large, steady stream of business).

For the individual owner, it's imperative that replacing a part that is known to have a high failure rate is reasonably easy to do and reasonable in cost. Canon printers are made with that philosophy and they are capable of the highest quality work.

Other than Canon dye ink printers which never experience head failures, pigment print heads are considered to be "consumable" items. The cost of a head should be factored into the cost of buying a machine and replacement should be expected some time after about 2 years, depending on use. The heads cost about $600, and the replacement process is straight-forward and easy.

Why haven't Canons replaced Epson in the inkjet printing industry? I don't really know other than the fact that Epson reached critical mass a long time ago, they have a wider range of machines and inertia is a remarkable thing.

Rich

OP Ramonn Regular Member • Posts: 176
Re: ALL Cartridges Not Recognized

I was able to locate a service manual for the R1900 on line.  On page 35, Table 3.1 it suggests that failure to recognize cartridges is related possibly to a CSIC or CSIC FFC failure.  Could this mean the problem is not the print head and therefore more likely to be repaired at a reasonable price?

Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 7,938
Re: ALL Cartridges Not Recognized

I'm with you.  I still operate a Stylus 2200 and R2400, but think how old your printer is.  If it could be fixed, it's not about economics, but the same as wanting to keep an old camera or car running-for the love of it.  Good luck.

Rich42 Senior Member • Posts: 1,939
Re: ALL Cartridges Not Recognized

Ramonn wrote:

I was able to locate a service manual for the R1900 on line. On page 35, Table 3.1 it suggests that failure to recognize cartridges is related possibly to a CSIC or CSIC FFC failure. Could this mean the problem is not the print head and therefore more likely to be repaired at a reasonable price?

Probably not.

These machines were not designed to be repaired. Maintaining a supply and network of repair parts is more expensive than manufacturing the parts for OEM use and cranking out whole machines, boxing them and shipping them. Frightening but true.

If you can locate and buy the part new (it may only be available as a used part from a cannibalized machine) you think will fix your machine, it's doubtful you can actually do the repair. The defective part is most likely just an integral component of a larger circuit board, which itself may or may not be available and which may or may not be accessible without removing/damaging other components not intended to be disassembled once put together. Add the cost of a repair technician, and, well you get the idea.

Rich

binarybob Forum Member • Posts: 79
Re: ALL Cartridges Not Recognized

Contrary to your assertion, Epson parts seem to be available here .

Bob.

Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 7,938
Re: ALL Cartridges Not Recognized

Good to know.  Thanks.

Rich42 Senior Member • Posts: 1,939
Re: ALL Cartridges Not Recognized
1

binarybob wrote:

Contrary to your assertion, Epson parts seem to be available here .

Bob.

Ok. Let's hope the OP lets us know his success diagnosing the issue, identifying the needed repair and actually being able to accomplish that. And achieving a working printer.

I've been down this road. It's not fun.

Rich

Vernon D Rainwater Forum Pro • Posts: 14,124
Re: ALL Cartridges Not Recognized

Ramonn wrote:

The following pertains to my Epson R1900 with OEM cartridges:

On performing a nozzle check the CO channel was blocked. I did several nozzle checks and cleanings to no avail. I then tried the paper towel with Windex and followed with direct injection with tubing.
At some point I got a message that the cartridges (all eight) were not recognized. An online search suggested that fluid had shorted a circuit and with drying the problem would be corrected. This did not occur.
I spoke with Epson Support who suggested that a sensor was malfunctioning and could not recognize the carts. I contacted a local service repairman who surmised it was a specific circuit board that needed replacement but the part was no longer available.(He did not physically work on the printer. His opinion was based on our phone calls.)
I then explained to him that if I insert each cartridge individually it appears the charging process occurs and the indicator light goes out indicating, I believe , the specific cartridge is recognized. However when I do the very last cartridge then all indicator lights are back on and none of the cartridges are recognized.
Do you think there is damage to the printer or is this more a software or "sequencing " problem? Do you think a reset key would solve the problem?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

This may (or may not) be helpful, however; cost to do this is minimal. It will hopefully (at least) remove the possibility of lack of recognition due to chip status

Suggest using a Chip Resetter and reset each cartridge chip. I use auto resettable chip cartridges for my R800 and R1800 printers and reset the chip after refilling the Cartridge. When I used empty OEM Cartridges, I used the same procedure

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 7,938
Re: ALL Cartridges Not Recognized

Vernon, whose inks are you using now that inkjetcarts.us (Ross Hardie) is closed.  I'm still working off my supply from them.

That's what I like about my old printers.  Chips can be easily reset.

OP Ramonn Regular Member • Posts: 176
Re: ALL Cartridges Not Recognized

I just want to be sure. My knowledge in this area is limited. Are you recommending I use a resetter on the OEM cartridges? These are not refillables.

Vernon D Rainwater Forum Pro • Posts: 14,124
Re: ALL Cartridges Not Recognized

Ramonn wrote:

I just want to be sure. My knowledge in this area is limited. Are you recommending I use a resetter on the OEM cartridges? These are not refillables.

YES -- The reason I would do this is because if something changed the contents of a Cartridge Chip (or Chips) the reset should revert the cartridge back to where the Epson Printer will hopefully recognize them.

The only negative thing is that the Reset will cause the cartridge to be recognized as being full -- which would be much better than what you are now experiencing.

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

Vernon D Rainwater Forum Pro • Posts: 14,124
Re: ALL Cartridges Not Recognized

Gesture wrote:

Vernon, whose inks are you using now that inkjetcarts.us (Ross Hardie) is closed. I'm still working off my supply from them.

That's what I like about my old printers. Chips can be easily reset.

I am in the same position as you describe as currently using previous shipment(s) of ink from Inkjetcarts. The Pigment inks (we both have) are -- Image Specialist Ink -- so what I plan to do is search for the (Image Specialist Company) and ask for "where we may purchase our inks". I have the 3880, R1800, and more than one of the R800 which use the same cartridges as the R1800. I did have the Epson 2200 (for over 13 years) and two of the C80 series printers

I know of one company that sells the same inks but will not do business with them due to subject for which I will not openly discuss here on the Forum. If you want more information on this, drop me a private message.

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

OP Ramonn Regular Member • Posts: 176
Re: ALL Cartridges Not Recognized
1

It looks like a major problem. Did some tests at WICReset website which resulted in a fatal error code 0x42, indicating printer head failure or main board failure, Message says X-Hot detection error during flushing and head thermistor detects abnormal temperature.  Not sure it is financially reasonable to go beyond this point.

Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 7,938
Re: ALL Cartridges Not Recognized

Thanks for reporting back.

Rich42 Senior Member • Posts: 1,939
Re: ALL Cartridges Not Recognized

Ramonn wrote:

It looks like a major problem. Did some tests at WICReset website which resulted in a fatal error code 0x42, indicating printer head failure or main board failure, Message says X-Hot detection error during flushing and head thermistor detects abnormal temperature. Not sure it is financially reasonable to go beyond this point.

I'm really sorry to read that.

I would strongly recommend considering the new Canon Pixma Pro 200. It's a dye based 13x19 printer. It's based on the discontinued Pixma Pro 100 which is simply the most dependable photo quality printer I have ever encountered. It is capable of the highest quality output. Never clogs.

They're selling for $600. They may come down in price in 6-12 months, but right now, probably the best deal around.

Rich

OP Ramonn Regular Member • Posts: 176
Re: ALL Cartridges Not Recognized
1

Thanks for the recommendation. I too have a Pixma Pro 100 and second your comments. When I bought the R1900 I also bought a second hand Epson 2200 to avoid switching the MB and PK on the R1900. Although the R1900 has reached its end the 2200 continues to produce very good prints (output on good quality matte papers is surprisingly good considering the printer's age). Unfortunately ink production for the 2200 has been discontinued but there are several third party options to consider.

I print as a hobby and for friends and, at this time the 100 and 2200 serve me well. Will move up as the need arises. Thanks for your input and as Jose says "Happy Printing!!"

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads