Using a video mic for Zoom & Skype?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Phil1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,086
Using a video mic for Zoom & Skype?

I have a Rode Video Pro mic which works well with my X-H1 camera.

However, I’d like to use the mic with my PC for Zoom & Skype, alongside a video cam for the video o/p.

Trying the mic with Audacity (with the mic’s high pass filter on & +20dB setting) it gives a lot of hum when used with a 3.5mm jack extension cable, so I can assume the hum problem will remain if I use it in Zoom etc. When the mic is set to 0dB or -10dB there is only hum & no signal.

My questions are is there a way to avoid the hum or, alternatively, would a USB mic, e.g. Blue Yeti, work with Zoom and Skype with no noticeable hum, undue noise or other problems?

Any and all advice gratefully received!

Many thanks

Phil

Fujifilm X-H1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Andrew S10 Senior Member • Posts: 1,335
Re: Using a video mic for Zoom & Skype?

I assume that your headphone extension cable isn't shielded, so it might be picking up electromagnetic frequency interference.

Is your PC's audio input a dedicated TRS mic input or a TRRS mic input/headphone output?

A couple workarounds:

You could try a shielded headphone extension cable.

you could try a USB audio adapter and a USB extension repeater cable to bypass your computer's mic input.

OP Phil1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,086

Hi Andrew

Thank you so much for your quick reply! As my PC has a separate headphone socket I’m assuming the mic input (3.5mm) is TRS.

Following your advice, I’ve ordered the USB audio adaptor and it should be here tomorrow.

Many thanks – much appreciated!

Phil

Joe Lynch Senior Member • Posts: 2,072

I bet the adapter that AndrewS10 suggested will fix the problem. On my Dell 9570 computer, the audio input and internal sound chip are terrible. I bypassed it with something similar to what AndrewS10 proposed and that made it much easier to keep the noise down when using an external mic.

Definitely try a different mic extension cable, even with the USB adapter, or, better yet, use a USB extension cable instead of the mic extension cable.

Joe

Off The Mark Senior Member • Posts: 4,423

Phil1 wrote:

Hi Andrew

Thank you so much for your quick reply! As my PC has a separate headphone socket I’m assuming the mic input (3.5mm) is TRS.

Following your advice, I’ve ordered the USB audio adaptor and it should be here tomorrow.

Many thanks – much appreciated!

Phil

For what it's worth...

My PC has TWO mic input sockets.

If I plug into the one on the front of the computer (near the power button) the mic hums.

If I plug into the one on the BACK of the computer, I don't get any hum.

Just something to try out if you have a mic socket on the back of your computer.

-- hide signature --

What Middle School Is Really Like:
https://youtu.be/Q1Xtz5EqMuo

Off The Mark's gear list:Off The Mark's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +7 more

Thank you! That certainly works well. It looks as if it goes straight into the sound card which seems to make sense. The USB adaptor has just arrived so I'll try that as well.

Many thank again - much appreciated!

Phil

Many thanks Joe!

The USB adaptor has just arrived so I’ll be trying that tomorrow and I’ll be sure to use a USB cable for the extension, as you suggest. I really appreciate your help!

Thanks again

Phil

So, were you able to fix your audio difficulty?

Joe

Hi Joe

Many thanks for your help and encouragement. As it happened I was very fortunate as two of the suggestions I received worked really well. One was to plug the mic directly into the sound card port rather than the ‘mic’ input on the front of the PC. The other, which enables me to use a much shorter and better shielded USB cable, as you suggested, is to use what I gather is a little external USB soundcard device which seems very similar to the one Andrew 10 suggested.

It's been a bit of a learning curve for me and I’m very grateful to you and the other contributors who have taken the time and trouble to be so helpful in sharing your knowledge and experience.

Phil

Perfect!  Glad we could all help.  Thanks for the update.

Joe

StoneJack Contributing Member • Posts: 818

I have a similar albeit a more complicated setup at my main computer (Hack Mac).

The mike is Marantz MSM 1000U USB mike, plugged directly.

Sound output goes to Sony USB adapter, which supplies sound through 3.5mm jack to Bose speakers. I can also connect monitor Audio Technica headphones straight to Bose. This way, no lag, no echos, no need for drivers, MIDI, everything just works.

StoneJack's gear list:StoneJack's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +6 more

Many thanks again Joe - much appreciated!

phil

Thank you. That is very interesting as the next thing I'd like to do is to monitor the sound with 'phones so I'll be experimenting with various arrangements to see which is best but, if I may, I'll get back to you if I run into problems.

Thanks again

Phil

Entropy512 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,038

Phil1 wrote:

I have a Rode Video Pro mic which works well with my X-H1 camera.

However, I’d like to use the mic with my PC for Zoom & Skype, alongside a video cam for the video o/p.

Trying the mic with Audacity (with the mic’s high pass filter on & +20dB setting) it gives a lot of hum when used with a 3.5mm jack extension cable, so I can assume the hum problem will remain if I use it in Zoom etc. When the mic is set to 0dB or -10dB there is only hum & no signal.

My questions are is there a way to avoid the hum or, alternatively, would a USB mic, e.g. Blue Yeti, work with Zoom and Skype with no noticeable hum, undue noise or other problems?

Any and all advice gratefully received!

Many thanks

Phil

One observation for this approach, other than what you've covered:

Using a microphone and speakers will lead to some degree of echo issues. Zoom, Skype, etc have some level of echo cancellation, but it's nowhere near as good as simply eliminating echo by using a headset.

(Bad timing if you're in the US - both the base and Ultimate versions of the Razer Kraken were deeply discounted a few days ago in a one-day sale...)

Edit:  The combo of a mic like yours and headphones, instead of a headset with built-in mic, is also a valid option for ensuring absolutely no echo issues.

-- hide signature --

Context is key. If I have quoted someone else's post when replying, please do not reply to something I say without reading text that I have quoted, and understanding the reason the quote function exists.

Entropy512's gear list:Entropy512's gear list
Sony a6000 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Sony a6300 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +5 more
Off The Mark Senior Member • Posts: 4,423

Phil1 wrote:

Thank you. That is very interesting as the next thing I'd like to do is to monitor the sound with 'phones so I'll be experimenting with various arrangements to see which is best but, if I may, I'll get back to you if I run into problems.

Thanks again

Phil

Just another aside: earlier I mentioned about plugging the mic into the back of the computer instead of the front of the computer. Same thing goes for headphones; I get better quality sound when plugged in to the back of the computer than when plugged in to the front.

Oh, also, I need to keep my phone a few feet away from my computer as well otherwise I get lots of weird noises as well.

-- hide signature --

What Middle School Is Really Like:
https://youtu.be/Q1Xtz5EqMuo

Off The Mark's gear list:Off The Mark's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +7 more
StoneJack Contributing Member • Posts: 818

Phil1 wrote:

Thanks again

Phil

Sure, go ahead will be happy to help

StoneJack's gear list:StoneJack's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +6 more

Thanks you! That is very interesting & I'll try it out.

Phio

Thank you for your useful comments.  I agree the mic +earphones give the best reults!

Phil

Many thanks!

Phil

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads