Help a novice: sharp or unsharp images? Should I return my X-T30?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
giovirovi New Member • Posts: 14
Help a novice: sharp or unsharp images? Should I return my X-T30?

Hi everybody,

I am a novice to photography and I am facing an issue: my new X-T30 seems very often to deliver blurry/not so sharp images. I have all the basic knowledge regarding focus, autofocus, exposition triangle, etc. If someone more expert than me could give me an opinion I really would like to post some images with the respective info to understand if it's a real issue.

Thank you.

mujana Veteran Member • Posts: 7,435
Re: Help a novice: sharp or unsharp images? Should I return my X-T30?

giovirovi wrote:

Hi everybody,

I am a novice to photography and I am facing an issue: my new X-T30 seems very often to deliver blurry/not so sharp images. I have all the basic knowledge regarding focus, autofocus, exposition triangle, etc. If someone more expert than me could give me an opinion I really would like to post some images with the respective info to understand if it's a real issue.

Thank you.

Welcome giovirovi. I think it' s always a good idea to post some images. Otherwise it' s very difficult to judge on what might have gone "wrong" . Plenty of helpful people here.

mujana's gear list:mujana's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +9 more
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 28,673

Use the icon that looks like a mountain to post a couple of JPG images, just as they come from the camera.

D Cox's gear list:D Cox's gear list
Sigma fp
Gerry Winterbourne Forum Pro • Posts: 18,726

D Cox wrote:

Use the icon that looks like a mountain to post a couple of JPG images, just as they come from the camera.

In case you can't see it, this icon only comes up when you make a post. It's at top right in the bar over the text box.

-- hide signature --

Gerry
http://www.pbase.com/gerrywinterbourne
gerry.winterbourne@ntlworld.com

OP giovirovi New Member • Posts: 14

Thank you all for taking the time to help me. I really appreciate your kindness.

Tomorrow I will post some jpegs straight from the camera. I would like to ask you, is it better to use a certain focus? Single or continuous? I will post both landscape images and maybe also some with subjects. I will keep a decent shutter speed and low iso.

WryCuda Forum Pro • Posts: 10,733
Lens testing

giovirovi wrote:

Thank you all for taking the time to help me. I really appreciate your kindness.

Tomorrow I will post some jpegs straight from the camera. I would like to ask you, is it better to use a certain focus? Single or continuous?

Single/Continuous refers to autofocus mode. Continuous is most often used, with Single for tripod mounting. e.g. Some cameras default to Single when the timer option is used.

Note that there’s quite a lot to discover about autofocus modes.

I will post both landscape images and maybe also some with subjects. I will keep a decent shutter speed and low iso.

I think that you are better off to test your lenses on a proper resolution target. You will go crazy trying to see significant detail in landscape shots, particularly if you are a beginner. It is a simple matter to shoot at a range of focal lengths and apertures and derive some resolution figures, both in the center and at the edges. I use the following resolution array, based on the ISO12233 chart...

Here’s a reasonably sharp example.

WryCuda's gear list:WryCuda's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6000 Sony a7
Re: Lens testing

Hi everybody.

Thank you for your help and for your kindness. I just went out to take a few pics to post here, to judge if the sharpness level is reasonable or not, since I am coming from smartphone and I really don't have a reasonable comparison. So, photos are made with a brand new X-T30 with a 35mm f2, also brand new. Simulation is classic chrome if I am not wrong.

Thanks, I have now posted some pics.

Thank you, I did as you suggested and posted them.

scokill
scokill Veteran Member • Posts: 6,415

Hard to tell as there really isnt much of a subject and everything is shot at f2.  Most lenses aren't at their sharpest wide open.  Trying shooting a variety of subjects/objects/landscapes at f8 and see if there is any difference.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR

giovirovi wrote:

Hi everybody.

Thank you for your help and for your kindness. I just went out to take a few pics to post here, to judge if the sharpness level is reasonable or not, since I am coming from smartphone and I really don't have a reasonable comparison. So, photos are made with a brand new X-T30 with a 35mm f2, also brand new.

Resolution is fine for the parts of each frame that is in focus. This lens gives sharper results at f/4 than at f/2 (see this review Fujinon XF 35mm f/2 R WR (Fujfilm) - Review / Test - Analysis (opticallimits.com)).

Note what I say about "in focus" - a lens can focus at only one distance and everything nearer or further away is blurred to some degree. If the blur is only slight we still see things as "acceptably sharp"; this happens for a range of distances in front of and behind the plane where the lens is focused. The range is called the depth of field (DOF); it increases as the lens is stopped down - at f/2 it is quite shallow while at f/4 it gets deeper.

Your pictures are blurred in the background and foreground because these zones are outside the DOF; that is nothing to do with the sharpness of the lens.

Simulation is classic chrome if I am not wrong.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

Confused of Malvern Senior Member • Posts: 1,513

giovirovi wrote:

I can't see them anywhere. Where have you posted them?

-- hide signature --

Confused of Malvern
'The greatest fool can ask more than the wisest man can answer'

Confused of Malvern's gear list:Confused of Malvern's gear list
Canon G7 X II Pentax K-3 +1 more

Confused of Malvern wrote:

giovirovi wrote:

I can't see them anywhere. Where have you posted them?

Here Re: Lens testing: Beginners Questions Forum: Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com)

-- hide signature --

Gerry

lehill
lehill Veteran Member • Posts: 6,135

The photo of the ivy bush looks reasonable, this photo has a definite subject for the camera to focus on.

Otherwise, parts closest and farthest away from the camera are blurry and it's sharp someplace in the middle. That's a normal effect due to the depth of field.  DOF may not be obvious in small sensor smartphones but it can become very obvious in cameras with a large sensor like your X-T30.

It also seems to be a hazy or foggy day which also contributes to making far away things look blurry.

-- hide signature --

Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a99 II Sony a7R IV Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +28 more

Hey guys, thank you so much for taking the time to help me.

I see that a common issue with the photos is represented by the aperture I am using. I am thinking to post more photos with a f6-8 aperture so you can judge better.

Now I have shot with f4.5, so maybe it is easier to check if the photo is sharp enough.

Gerry Winterbourne wrote:

giovirovi wrote:

Hi everybody.

Thank you for your help and for your kindness. I just went out to take a few pics to post here, to judge if the sharpness level is reasonable or not, since I am coming from smartphone and I really don't have a reasonable comparison. So, photos are made with a brand new X-T30 with a 35mm f2, also brand new.

Resolution is fine for the parts of each frame that is in focus. This lens gives sharper results at f/4 than at f/2 (see this review Fujinon XF 35mm f/2 R WR (Fujfilm) - Review / Test - Analysis (opticallimits.com)).

Note what I say about "in focus" - a lens can focus at only one distance and everything nearer or further away is blurred to some degree. If the blur is only slight we still see things as "acceptably sharp"; this happens for a range of distances in front of and behind the plane where the lens is focused. The range is called the depth of field (DOF); it increases as the lens is stopped down - at f/2 it is quite shallow while at f/4 it gets deeper.

Your pictures are blurred in the background and foreground because these zones are outside the DOF; that is nothing to do with the sharpness of the lens.

Simulation is classic chrome if I am not wrong.

Thank you for the helpful clarification and for your help. If you could be so kind to check, I have replied to the thread with more photos taken at f4.5, where the image should be sharper. Thank you!

scokill
scokill Veteran Member • Posts: 6,415

There is nothing wrong with the lens that I can see.  A little bit of tweaking and sharpening and it looks OK to me.  Not the best shots to judge sharpness though.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR

scokill wrote:

There is nothing wrong with the lens that I can see. A little bit of tweaking and sharpening and it looks OK to me. Not the best shots to judge sharpness though.

Thanks for your opinion. May I ask you what kind of shot would you prefer to judge the sharpness?

WryCuda Forum Pro • Posts: 10,733

giovirovi wrote:

scokill wrote:

There is nothing wrong with the lens that I can see. A little bit of tweaking and sharpening and it looks OK to me. Not the best shots to judge sharpness though.

Thanks for your opinion. May I ask you what kind of shot would you prefer to judge the sharpness?

To get meaningful results, you have to use standard charts at the correct distance.

I use the ISO12233 chart printed A2 (to get sufficient printed detail) and set up a 5-chart array. The final target is about 8' wide. Shooting distance is about 60x focal length, and you can read off the resolution from the "wedges".

Multiply by the conversion factor, which is 100x for a single chart, or about 325x for the 5-chart array, to derive a value for "Line Pairs/Picture Height". Compare this with published results.

You will be wasting your time if you do anything else.

If you shoot outdoors, there is no need for fiddly nonsense with the settings or technique; just shoot like you normally do.

This one was handheld...

Lens used here was Nikon 85mm f/1.8. A resolution value of 3250 is good for this camera & lens combination.

WryCuda's gear list:WryCuda's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6000 Sony a7
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads