saving Topaz legacy filters on a separate disc for later use?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Lynn876
Lynn876 Contributing Member • Posts: 607
saving Topaz legacy filters on a separate disc for later use?

How would I save Topaz legacy filters on a separate disc so that I could install them whenever I need to reinstall my operating system?

Can I just install the filters to a disc in addition to installing them on the main drive and then just transfer them to the programs file afterwards? Or do they utilize system files and won't be able to find them later?

I'd like to be able to permanently store them as they're not supported any longer and may not be available on their web site forever.

Billiam29 Senior Member • Posts: 1,892
Re: saving Topaz legacy filters on a separate disc for later use?

Topaz has a “Legacy Products” page where you can download the standard installers for their older classic plugin products.

https://help.topazlabs.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001521092

To state the obvious, these downloads are by no means updates to "current standards." Just whatever the final versions were of the older products before they were superseded or Topaz stopped supporting them.

Lynn876
OP Lynn876 Contributing Member • Posts: 607

Billiam29 wrote:

Topaz has a “Legacy Products” page where you can download the standard installers for their older classic plugin products.

To state the obvious, these downloads are by no means updates to "current standards." Just whatever the final versions were of the older products before they were superseded or Topaz stopped supporting them.

Thanks, Yes, I know, but I'd like to save the entire programs on a separate disc for re-installation in case they take that page down in the future.

Patco Forum Pro • Posts: 15,110

Lynn876 wrote:

Billiam29 wrote:

Thanks, Yes, I know, but I'd like to save the entire programs on a separate disc for re-installation in case they take that page down in the future.

The program installation files on the page linked by Billiam are what you will need to reinstall the Topaz plugins (along with your keys/serial numbers) in the event you reinstall Windows or set up a new computer.
I save all the install files for every purchased or freeware program I've downloaded and they are included in my regular backups, making for a simple and convenient reinstall when needed.

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels.

Lynn876

Patco wrote:

Lynn876 wrote:

Billiam29 wrote:

The program installation files on the page linked by Billiam are what you will need to reinstall the Topaz plugins (along with your keys/serial numbers) in the event you reinstall Windows or set up a new computer.
I save all the install files for every purchased or freeware program I've downloaded and they are included in my regular backups, making for a simple and convenient reinstall when needed.

Yes, I know, but I'd like to save the entire programs on a separate disc for re-installation in case they take that page down in the future. Looking to see if anyone knows how to do that.

Patco Forum Pro • Posts: 15,110

Lynn876 wrote:

Patco wrote:

Lynn876 wrote:

Billiam29 wrote:

Yes, I know, but I'd like to save the entire programs on a separate disc for re-installation in case they take that page down in the future. Looking to see if anyone knows how to do that.

Yes, you download the programs from the linked page and save them to a disc.
Once saved to disc, it will not matter if they take that page down in the future.

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels.

Ho72
Ho72 Senior Member • Posts: 2,291

Lynn876 wrote:

If you're thinking that you can somehow copy and save your Topaz apps as currently installed on your computer and then redeploy them later on the same or different hardware, you can't.

You've already be given the answer. Get the full install files here; these are what you need to archive for future use. What you can save from your current installs are your custom presets if you have any.

Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 21,503
It CAN'T be done!

Lynn876 wrote:

Patco wrote:

Lynn876 wrote:

Billiam29 wrote:

But given Topaz's past performance, I suspect the likelihood of them doing what you fear would come about is small.

Those programs and the related page take up VERY little space in their corporate storage requirements and require almost no effort to maintain.  I suspect even the Topaz CEO could do that much in 15 minutes or less on a Sunday during a half-time show.  (though in my experience with ex-techie CEOs, somebody would have to quietly check the quality of his work.)

The loss of customer goodwill would be far more costly than the cost of maintaining the legacy distribution infrastructure.  In my eyes, they shouldn't/wouldn't get rid of them unless technology has advanced so much that allowing users to DL and install is more problematic than useful to consumers. If that were the case you would be unlikely to want it anyway.

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +11 more
Lynn876

Thank you. I guess I can just use them from that disc. Or transfer to the desktop. Did that once with Photoshop and it worked.

Lynn876
Re: It CAN'T be done!

Glen Barrington wrote:

Lynn876 wrote:

Patco wrote:

Lynn876 wrote:

Billiam29 wrote:

But given Topaz's past performance, I suspect the likelihood of them doing what you fear would come about is small.

Those programs and the related page take up VERY little space in their corporate storage requirements and require almost no effort to maintain. I suspect even the Topaz CEO could do that much in 15 minutes or less on a Sunday during a half-time show. (though in my experience with ex-techie CEOs, somebody would have to quietly check the quality of his work.)

The loss of customer goodwill would be far more costly than the cost of maintaining the legacy distribution infrastructure. In my eyes, they shouldn't/wouldn't get rid of them unless technology has advanced so much that allowing users to DL and install is more problematic than useful to consumers. If that were the case you would be unlikely to want it anyway.

Well, that depends on whether or not windows ditches it's compatibility mode in the future for specific programs. At any rate, I'd rather have them. They don't take up much space and it's very possible I may not be able to afford the replacements' upgrades in the future. I have to reinstall all of them right now anyway, so might as well try installing to a separate disk as well.

Ho72
Ho72 Senior Member • Posts: 2,291
Re: It CAN'T be done!

Lynn876 wrote:
I have to reinstall all of them right now anyway, so might as well try installing to a separate disk as well.

What do you expect this to accomplish? Apps are dependent on whatever OS is active at the time of installation no matter where the program files are physically located. So if you install Topaz to D:\ and later move D:\ to a different computer or even do a fresh install of the OS on the same computer, your apps will not work. Sorry if I misunderstand your intent.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads