M6ii in winter

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
ken_in_nh Senior Member • Posts: 1,379
M6ii in winter

For me, the M6ii with kit 15-45 lens is the ideal winter camera.  Why?  Because I tend to hike streamside trails (we have several in my area) that are snow covered and icy.  I have boots with traction, and also use poles.  So small, light, and out of the way is key.  I put the camera under my top layer fleece, hanging from a neck strap.  It keeps the camera warm enough and it doesn't swing when I'm clambering down an icy slope.  Here's some results.  What's missing from the pictures, other than further development, is the sound of the streams.

beagle1 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,238
Re: M6ii in winter

ken_in_nh wrote:

For me, the M6ii with kit 15-45 lens is the ideal winter camera. Why? Because I tend to hike streamside trails (we have several in my area) that are snow covered and icy. I have boots with traction, and also use poles. So small, light, and out of the way is key. I put the camera under my top layer fleece, hanging from a neck strap. It keeps the camera warm enough and it doesn't swing when I'm clambering down an icy slope. Here's some results. What's missing from the pictures, other than further development, is the sound of the streams.

nice - it's in the 60°'s in southeastern Virginia

(no snow)

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

OP ken_in_nh Senior Member • Posts: 1,379

40 here, warmest since December, but 4 tonight.

You might not have noticed, but 1 and 2 are of the same place from roughly the same view, but a month apart.

Winter is interesting up here in SW NH. Some of the prettiest landscape elements in other seasons, our ponds and water bodies, are featureless flat white areas in the winter.  And the forests can be repetitive too, and very monochromatic.  That's why the bits of flowing water that we have are my draw.

Dors
Dors Regular Member • Posts: 211

ken_in_nh wrote:

For me, the M6ii with kit 15-45 lens is the ideal winter camera. Why? Because I tend to hike streamside trails (we have several in my area) that are snow covered and icy. I have boots with traction, and also use poles. So small, light, and out of the way is key. I put the camera under my top layer fleece, hanging from a neck strap. It keeps the camera warm enough and it doesn't swing when I'm clambering down an icy slope. Here's some results. What's missing from the pictures, other than further development, is the sound of the streams.

There is more. I've always wished it was possible to capture ambient scent and odor and resmell them later. Like photographs it can revive memories...

Dors's gear list:Dors's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM
Thomas A Anderson Contributing Member • Posts: 727

Excellent shots!

R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 22,686

I like the reflections in #4.  Nice and warm.  

It’s getting warmer here too.  Spring is on its way!

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5
OP ken_in_nh Senior Member • Posts: 1,379

R2D2 wrote:

I like the reflections in #4. Nice and warm.

It’s getting warmer here too. Spring is on its way!

R2

Thank you. Me too. 4 is a rare winter picture with color!

Sue Anne Rush
Sue Anne Rush Senior Member • Posts: 1,731

Very nice - Thanks for sharing 

ken_in_nh wrote:

Sue Anne Rush's gear list:Sue Anne Rush's gear list
Canon EOS 7D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads