Focussing on faces in groups

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
The-Boogie-Knight Regular Member • Posts: 123
Focussing on faces in groups

So having a play around with the AF settings the last few days. Just wondered if it's possible to focus on a certain face/eye, then have that face/eye stay locked on when I recompose. I realise I can set the focus to a much larger area which works, but then you have the problem of selecting from loads of difference faces. I'd like a small point that I aim at the person I want in focus, press my back-button to keep them in focus then recompose as I'd like. Is this possible?

LuxShots
LuxShots Contributing Member • Posts: 682
What you tried Face Detect Autofocus?

This should track the face and keep that face after you recompose. You may have to make sure you don't have a different priority focus point if you recompose from portrait to landscape registered, or this may cause the focus point to shift.

LuxShots's gear list:LuxShots's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-S1H Panasonic S 24-105mm F4 Macro OIS Panasonic S1 Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM +9 more
OP The-Boogie-Knight Regular Member • Posts: 123
Re: What you tried Face Detect Autofocus?

LuxShots wrote:

This should track the face and keep that face after you recompose. You may have to make sure you don't have a different priority focus point if you recompose from portrait to landscape registered, or this may cause the focus point to shift.

Cheers. If I set a big area it works, but then I have to cycle through the faces as that area covers them all. If I set a small area, it locks on but stops doing so as soon as the face leaves that area I've set (even if I'm in C-AF). It works in just Face/Eye, but then I have the problem of picking the face from the group.

Jeffry7 Regular Member • Posts: 401
Re: Focussing on faces in groups

The-Boogie-Knight wrote:

So having a play around with the AF settings the last few days. Just wondered if it's possible to focus on a certain face/eye, then have that face/eye stay locked on when I recompose. I realise I can set the focus to a much larger area which works, but then you have the problem of selecting from loads of difference faces. I'd like a small point that I aim at the person I want in focus, press my back-button to keep them in focus then recompose as I'd like. Is this possible?

When you recompose, your focus shifts. Maybe by just a little and not enough to fall out of the depth of field, but some.

To do what you want, you need to manually select where the camera should focus in the scene. I think this is best done on a tripod, but apparently some people can do this hand held.

How you do this varies from camera to camera.

Anyway, compose your scene, move the focus point to the spot you want in focus, half press to verify, full press to finish.

If you have a Panasonic s1r look at touch AF.

Jeffry7 wrote:

The-Boogie-Knight wrote:

When you recompose, your focus shifts. Maybe by just a little and not enough to fall out of the depth of field, but some.

To do what you want, you need to manually select where the camera should focus in the scene. I think this is best done on a tripod, but apparently some people can do this hand held.

Anyway, compose your scene, move the focus point to the spot you want in focus, half press to verify, full press to finish.

Yeah at the moment I just move the point which works ok. It would just be much quicker if you could just point at the face you want, hold the focus button and recompose with C-AF staying locked. Have to say I've found the AF much better since the last FW update.

Jeffry7 Regular Member • Posts: 401

The-Boogie-Knight wrote:

Jeffry7 wrote:

The-Boogie-Knight wrote:

Yeah at the moment I just move the point which works ok. It would just be much quicker if you could just point at the face you want, hold the focus button and recompose with C-AF staying locked. Have to say I've found the AF much better since the last FW update.

That would be a cool feature!

LuxShots

The-Boogie-Knight wrote:

LuxShots wrote:

Cheers. If I set a big area it works, but then I have to cycle through the faces as that area covers them all. If I set a small area, it locks on but stops doing so as soon as the face leaves that area I've set (even if I'm in C-AF). It works in just Face/Eye, but then I have the problem of picking the face from the group.

Another thing you can do is use the tracking feature. Unfortunately, it's not as reliable as face detect.

Panasonic Lumix DC-S1H Panasonic S 24-105mm F4 Macro OIS Panasonic S1 Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM +9 more

LuxShots wrote:

The-Boogie-Knight wrote:

LuxShots wrote:

Another thing you can do is use the tracking feature. Unfortunately, it's not as reliable as face detect.

I've never really tried the tracking to be honest. I had a play with it when I first got the camera and again yesterday after reading your post but it does seem very hit-and-miss.

AlejandroI
AlejandroI Regular Member • Posts: 374

Sadly not, we dont have face priority.

The only option is to use, 1 area focus with face detect enabled and position the box over the desired face. The sony smokes pana in this regards...

Would be very useful if we could have some kind of face priority, or if the camera would lock on the face in the center and than stick to it, so we could recompose.

AlejandroI's gear list:AlejandroI's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Leica M10 Panasonic S1 Leica Elmar-M 24mm f/3.8 ASPH Voigtlander 35mm F2.5 Color Skopar +4 more

AlejandroI wrote:

The only option is to use, 1 area focus with face detect enabled and position the box over the desired face. The sony smokes pana in this regards...

Would be very useful if we could have some kind of face priority, or if the camera would lock on the face in the center and than stick to it, so we could recompose.

Definitely. I love the S bodies but I do wonder sometimes if the photography functionality was designed by photographers. Similar with Aperture Priority. Not only can you not see the effects of aperture (this was fixed on the S5), but the dial that was mapped to shutter speed now does nothing and you're forced to go into menus or waste a function button to set minimum shutter speed...

LuxShots

The-Boogie-Knight wrote:

AlejandroI wrote:

Definitely. I love the S bodies but I do wonder sometimes if the photography functionality was designed by photographers. Similar with Aperture Priority. Not only can you not see the effects of aperture (this was fixed on the S5), but the dial that was mapped to shutter speed now does nothing and you're forced to go into menus or waste a function button to set minimum shutter speed...

If you want to control Aperture and Shutter Speed, you should consider shooting in Manual mode with Auto-ISO. This gives you the best of both worlds, letting you control your DOF with the aperture and control the ability to stop motion with shutter speed controls, while you let the ISO ride to give you the correct exposure. I was primarily an aperture priority shooter, but the demands of wedding photography has forced me to Manual/Auto-ISO, and my imagery quality has increased for the better!

LuxShots wrote:

The-Boogie-Knight wrote:

AlejandroI wrote:

If you want to control Aperture and Shutter Speed, you should consider shooting in Manual mode with Auto-ISO. This gives you the best of both worlds, letting you control your DOF with the aperture and control the ability to stop motion with shutter speed controls, while you let the ISO ride to give you the correct exposure. I was primarily an aperture priority shooter, but the demands of wedding photography has forced me to Manual/Auto-ISO, and my imagery quality has increased for the better!

Ah well it's funny you say that as I am a manual shooter but during lockdown the past few weeks I thought I'd investigate AP to see if it could speed up my workflow at events!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads