A7 III Timelapses - wearing down mechanical shutter

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
indigoshrine Forum Member • Posts: 75
A7 III Timelapses - wearing down mechanical shutter

I am interested into getting more into timelapses, but wonder about the wear on the shutter. With frequent usage, this would quickly add up to the 200.000 actuations Sony 'commits' for the A7 III.

Background: I got the Move-Shoot-Move Tracking Rotator which normally I just use for Star Tracking. It also serves as a MSM rotator though (connected to camera hot shoe), which would support nice timelapses. Unfortunately, the rotation only works if silent mode in the camera is deactivated.  That means, while in still I can do timelapses with the a7's built-in timelapse function in silent mode, if I want to use it with the rotator I am stuck with the mechanical shutter.

Did a quick research in Google, and it seems the majority considers the wear negligible. Obviously, it is gear that is supposed to be used. I just try to weigh in if instead of wearing down the shutter, it might be more reasonable to just get a dedicated timelapse mount and then use the silent mode instead, without any further worries.

This is assuming that the limitation of having to deactivate silent mode is specific to the rotator I own. If however this is generally not possible without deactivating silent mode for these kind of devices, I assume there will be no other choice.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

indigoshrine's gear list:indigoshrine's gear list
Sony a7 III Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +1 more
Sony a7 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
barnyz Regular Member • Posts: 399
Re: A7 III Timelapses - wearing down mechanical shutter

I use a syrp genie mini 2 to do rotating timelapses and i can use the silent shutter with that. I also have a GVM slider that also allows use of silent shutter. Im not sure what device you are using exactly or why it would force mechanical shutter only. Seems odd so perhaps im misunderstanding. I dont think I have ever used the mechanical shutter on my A7iii for any timelapses as I also would be concerned about quickly wearing down the shutter. I had an NEX3 some years ago that i used alot (not for timelapses) and the mechanical shutter did actually break after a few years of very heavy use so it can happen.

barnyz's gear list:barnyz's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a7 III Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 24-105mm F4
OP indigoshrine Forum Member • Posts: 75

barnyz wrote:

I use a syrp genie mini 2 to do rotating timelapses and i can use the silent shutter with that. I also have a GVM slider that also allows use of silent shutter. Im not sure what device you are using exactly or why it would force mechanical shutter only. Seems odd so perhaps im misunderstanding. I dont think I have ever used the mechanical shutter on my A7iii for any timelapses as I also would be concerned about quickly wearing down the shutter. I had an NEX3 some years ago that i used alot (not for timelapses) and the mechanical shutter did actually break after a few years of very heavy use so it can happen.

Thanks for the reply.

I am using the Move-Shoot-Move rotator from:

https://www.moveshootmove.com/

It is even mentioned in the user manual and FAQs that silent mode needs to be deactivated for the device to work.

Regarding the devices you mentioned: I wonder if by 'work', you also mean that the rotation is done based on shutter action? Meaning, after each shot the devices rotates a certain value further. Or, is it completely independent from shot taking and just rotates at a speed that you set regardless of what the shutter is doing? Sorry for the basic question, I am still at the start of timelapses and have no clue what method is standard for these devices. It might be what I use is not really normal.

Since my rotator also has a star tracker mode, I could theoretically also just use the star tracker rotation, in that case no separate connection to the camera is needed and it just rotates independently. But then I am limited to only 2 speeds (half and full) while in the above mentioned case, I have 4 speeds (in degrees between shots) to choose from. On top of it, since rotation is linked to shots taken, by deciding on the interval/number of shots I can indirectly define the rotation speed.

indigoshrine wrote:

barnyz wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

I am using the Move-Shoot-Move rotator from:

https://www.moveshootmove.com/

It is even mentioned in the user manual and FAQs that silent mode needs to be deactivated for the device to work.

Regarding the devices you mentioned: I wonder if by 'work', you also mean that the rotation is done based on shutter action? Meaning, after each shot the devices rotates a certain value further. Or, is it completely independent from shot taking and just rotates at a speed that you set regardless of what the shutter is doing? Sorry for the basic question, I am still at the start of timelapses and have no clue what method is standard for these devices. It might be what I use is not really normal.

Since my rotator also has a star tracker mode, I could theoretically also just use the star tracker rotation, in that case no separate connection to the camera is needed and it just rotates independently. But then I am limited to only 2 speeds (half and full) while in the above mentioned case, I have 4 speeds (in degrees between shots) to choose from. On top of it, since rotation is linked to shots taken, by deciding on the interval/number of shots I can indirectly define the rotation speed.

-- hide signature --

Both of my devices move the camera and then trigger the camera to take a photo using whatever settings are dialed into the camera by me. The main difference is yours is using the hotshoe so perhaps accessing the camera in a different way to a standard cable release that other devices use for some advanced use that mine don't have. I looked in their user manual and it doesn't explain why you need to turnoff the silent shutter so it's a mystery. You could message them and ask perhaps?

I do alot of timelapses. I do most of them just using the internal intervolmeter with silent shutter on as most of the time it's not necessary to have camera movement as well. So assuming you don't use the msm device 100% of the time then you probably don't need to worry about shutter wear.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNKf6A9-MZHqSxjfqFxiWA

I have contacted them but am still waiting for a reply. Also found some information on the net that with silent mode activated, the Sony does not support flash. I assume that means flash = hotshoe. So it is a structural limitation, too bad they are using the hotshoe connection instead of the other connection options.

Thanks for confirming other devices do not necessarily follow the same concept and it is rather normal to be able to use the silent mode. I agree, movement would probably only be required occassionally and the majority of shots are good enough without. And using the MSM every once in a while should then not make a too big impact.

What bothers me about it though is that aside from the wear, there is also sound and vibration. Not sure if the latter is really an issue, but the mechanical shutter sound on a lengthy time lapse would become annoying after a while. And I can imagine lots of situations where I do not want to attract too much attention.

Guess I'll need to experiment a bit to see how much I enjoy timelapses, but if I really get into it I might consider getting a dedicated device. Would have just been nice if the MSM had supported both functions 'properly', actually want to avoid getting even more gear.

btw: Those are some great timelapses in your youtube signature link!

indigoshrine wrote:

I have contacted them but am still waiting for a reply. Also found some information on the net that with silent mode activated, the Sony does not support flash. I assume that means flash = hotshoe. So it is a structural limitation, too bad they are using the hotshoe connection instead of the other connection options.

Thanks for confirming other devices do not necessarily follow the same concept and it is rather normal to be able to use the silent mode. I agree, movement would probably only be required occassionally and the majority of shots are good enough without. And using the MSM every once in a while should then not make a too big impact.

What bothers me about it though is that aside from the wear, there is also sound and vibration. Not sure if the latter is really an issue, but the mechanical shutter sound on a lengthy time lapse would become annoying after a while. And I can imagine lots of situations where I do not want to attract too much attention.

Guess I'll need to experiment a bit to see how much I enjoy timelapses, but if I really get into it I might consider getting a dedicated device. Would have just been nice if the MSM had supported both functions 'properly', actually want to avoid getting even more gear.

Thanks. I got my devices separately. They don't work together and now I wish I had an all in one system to pan, slide and rotate all together so i also want more gear I like the genie as its small but i think sliders are even better but they are also bigger and require more careful setup.

Also I fake most of the movement in my time lapse movies using the dynamic zoom feature in davinci resolve so it's another option to use to avoid more gear!

barnyz wrote:

indigoshrine wrote:

Thanks. I got my devices separately. They don't work together and now I wish I had an all in one system to pan, slide and rotate all together so i also want more gear I like the genie as its small but i think sliders are even better but they are also bigger and require more careful setup.

Also I fake most of the movement in my time lapse movies using the dynamic zoom feature in davinci resolve so it's another option to use to avoid more gear!

All in one would be nice, but as soon as sliders are concerned, it's getting complicated I guess. The Syryp Genie Mini actually looks quite nice, definitely far advanced than what I am using. You might also want to check out the Benro Polaris, which supports timelapses. There is an extensive thread about it in the astro forum:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4552044

Great advice about the dynamic zoom to fake movement.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads