Canon image file number not recognized

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Mike Rodal New Member • Posts: 4
Canon image file number not recognized

I am using an M6 Mk2 and an R5. There are files that I have taken in the last few weeks that are not recognized in the search box of a drive or in Spotlight. Before I could put in the four numbers of the file and it would point me to the folder or location of that file for any past or present camera with a similar number. Images taken in the last few weeks may or may not be recognized. A laptop with Big Sur and a desktop with Catalina have the same issue. Canon says it’s an Apple problem. Apple says it’s a Canon problem.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 8,354
Re: Canon image file number not recognized

Mike Rodal wrote:

I am using an M6 Mk2 and an R5. There are files that I have taken in the last few weeks that are not recognized in the search box of a drive or in Spotlight. Before I could put in the four numbers of the file and it would point me to the folder or location of that file for any past or present camera with a similar number. Images taken in the last few weeks may or may not be recognized. A laptop with Big Sur and a desktop with Catalina have the same issue. Canon says it’s an Apple problem. Apple says it’s a Canon problem.

OK.

Is there a question in there?

OP Mike Rodal New Member • Posts: 4

Yes.  Does anyone have an idea why Mac is not recognizing recently created image file numbers?

Mike Rodal wrote:

Yes. Does anyone have an idea why Mac is not recognizing recently created image file numbers?

What did Canon say? what did Apple say? what are the characters involved? does changing the file names produce a different result? can you give us an example? does using the same file name on another type of file produce the same result? have you rebuilt your Spotlight index? do file name searches (via Terminal or something else that doesn't use Spotlight) fail to find the files?

Not much to go on without some more info, unless someone has already run into this (my Canon file names don't have the problem).

OP Mike Rodal New Member • Posts: 4

I am looking for someone who may had the same problem. I explained the problem to Canon and they blew it off as an Apple problem. I went through hours of Apple support with OS updates, Spotlight rebuild, name changes of every sort. I had friends give me Sony and Nikon files for comparison. The only common thread is a Canon file that was created in 2021. Apple concluded that there is some issue in the minutia of Canon files.  Since the the same issue occurs on two different computers with two different operating systems, I tend to agree.

Mike Rodal wrote:

I am looking for someone who may had the same problem. I explained the problem to Canon and they blew it off as an Apple problem. I went through hours of Apple support with OS updates, Spotlight rebuild, name changes of every sort. I had friends give me Sony and Nikon files for comparison. The only common thread is a Canon file that was created in 2021. Apple concluded that there is some issue in the minutia of Canon files. Since the the same issue occurs on two different computers with two different operating systems, I tend to agree.

Well, can't help with that amount of info. They work fine on my machines. Good luck though.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads