Purchasing a Drone before going to Hawaii, is it worth it?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
kenju4u
kenju4u Regular Member • Posts: 194
Purchasing a Drone before going to Hawaii, is it worth it?

Hey All,

I am strongly considering buying a DJI Mini 2 before going to Maui, Hawaii later this year. I am getting discourage to do so though after reading about how so many places are illegal to fly drones over. Such as all national parks and public places. If that's the case, where can I fly the drone? Is it even worth owning one?

Ken

-- hide signature --

CAMERAS : Sony A7III
---------------------------------------------------------
LENS: Sony FE 85mm 1.8, Sony FE 24-105mm, Samyang 18mm 2.8 FE, Tamron 35mm 2.8

kenju4u's gear list:kenju4u's gear list
Konica Minolta DiMAGE G600 Sony a7 III Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Samyang AF 18mm F2.8 FE +2 more
buratino
buratino Contributing Member • Posts: 770
Re: Purchasing a Drone before going to Hawaii, is it worth it?

kenju4u wrote:

Hey All,

I am strongly considering buying a DJI Mini 2 before going to Maui, Hawaii later this year. I am getting discourage to do so though after reading about how so many places are illegal to fly drones over. Such as all national parks and public places. If that's the case, where can I fly the drone? Is it even worth owning one?

Ken

I did it on the Big Island on this X-mass/New Year. I did not use my Mini 2 in a national park, but there were some opportunities. I do not regret buying it and taking it there. I had to learn to fly there. I put 3 short videos on youtube. Here's the link to one of them, a very simple one.

https://youtu.be/tmXxgrjBcVI

The other two are my experiments with somewhat more active cuts. A couple of more are in preparation.

Once I was even able to fly literally near the airport—upon requesting and getting (easy) approval, which was an interesting experience.

buratino's gear list:buratino's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GX850 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +8 more
BlueJakester
BlueJakester Veteran Member • Posts: 3,302

When flying commercial airlines with a drone, is there any issue carrying on the drone and batteries?

I think read the batteries should be discharged to 50% or less. Is that true?

Thanks

BlueJakester's gear list:BlueJakester's gear list
Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-H1 Sony a7R IV Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN +2 more
buratino

BlueJakester wrote:

When flying commercial airlines with a drone, is there any issue carrying on the drone and batteries?

Thanks

I think nobody would care to check, just take the drone/batteries with you in your personal/carry-on. Actually, I take a whole bag of photo/video electronics and usually do not have many issues about it.

Sony Alpha a99 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GX850 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +8 more
kenju4u
OP kenju4u Regular Member • Posts: 194

Thanks for sharing videos looks amazing. Glad you hear you had some opportunities to fly it without issues. What apps or tools did have you have to get permissions for flying? Were you scared to fly it over water thinking it will crash and you will lose it?

-- hide signature --

CAMERAS : Sony A7III
---------------------------------------------------------
LENS: Sony FE 28-70mm, Sony FE 85mm 1.8, Sony FE 24-105mm, Samyang 18mm 2.8 FE, Minolta MC Macro Rokkor X 50mm f3.5

kenju4u's gear list:kenju4u's gear list
Konica Minolta DiMAGE G600 Sony a7 III Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Samyang AF 18mm F2.8 FE +2 more
buratino

kenju4u wrote:

Thanks for sharing videos looks amazing.

Thanks! I edited the footage heavily in terms of cuts and some color correction. I have to learn manual settings for video: I used only fixed (daytime) white balance. Exposure was on auto, and it does create problems.

Glad you hear you had some opportunities to fly it without issues.

There were quite many opportunities, I just did not use many of them. One of the most significant issues/factors to consider is the strong wind. I was scared to fly on many cases—with my absolute novice level.

What apps or tools did have you have to get permissions for flying?

DIJ app has it. For example, look at the map: when I was at the beach I had no idea that the airport at Hilo is so close: most probably I was in the red zone. The drone did not take-off. But it did after the authorization request via the phone app.

Now look at your island: I think you'll find opportunities to fly.

Were you scared to fly it over water thinking it will crash and you will lose it?

I was very scared and felt very uncomfortable, it felt like that the thing gets lower every time it goes over the water. It is the automatic return (RTH) that got the drone back for me. I did not master flying by map, and orientation just by what the drone sees was not very easy.

Also, my phone does not work with my Mini 2, so I use either my wife's iPhone or my son's Samsung, both are not very familiar to me, it complicates things a little.

Happy flying!

Occams Razor Senior Member • Posts: 1,123

BlueJakester wrote:

Thanks

In addition to the above, I also read that you should not have batteries installed on drones when travelling by air.   In any case, I have flown to Europe, Canada and New Zealand with a drone and batteries as carryon and security does not pay any attention to them.  Just like other large electronic devices, I have always removed them from my backpack for the x-ray system.

-- hide signature --

Randy

Occams Razor's gear list:Occams Razor's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +3 more
buratino

Occams Razor wrote:

BlueJakester wrote:

Thanks

In addition to the above, I also read that you should not have batteries installed on drones when travelling by air. In any case, I have flown to Europe, Canada and New Zealand with a drone and batteries as carryon and security does not pay any attention to them. Just like other large electronic devices, I have always removed them from my backpack for the x-ray system.

Now I say No to their question about electronics even when I do have the whole backpack of photo-video (and no laptop). They scan and never complain or delay me. If I say yes, I do have electronics, they always want to repack my tight backpack, which is a huge hassle.

As for Europe, I have never had a drone when traveled there, but now I hear one may have to have permission to bring a drone. I would check for future.

Mike Gunter
Mike Gunter Regular Member • Posts: 371

Hi,

I have the DJI Mini 2 (Fly More) and I think it is a bargain.  It is outside your budget, but I'm suggesting it is the best photography drone package in the under $600 range with batteries, propellers, charger, and case for everything.

Taken March 13, 2021 with DJI Mini 2.

There are drones that are in your price range that fly very well, but this drone flies well and takes great photos and video.

That's a very fine distinction. Cheaper drones won't have photo and video stabilization that works as well as this.

I would urge you to chip up your budget.

-- hide signature --

My best,
Mike

Mike Gunter's gear list:Mike Gunter's gear list
Nikon D750 Panasonic G85 Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +12 more
hecklerz New Member • Posts: 22

Something else to consider...

I’ve read on other drone forums that there can be issues with the drone’s barometer or altimeter when the drone is in checked luggage- that it can get “stuck” and the drone won’t get a lock on altitude so won’t tackle off. Something to do with the cargo compartment not being pressurized which can damage a membrane in the sensor. This was back when I had my Mavic Air 1, so I’m not sure if it’s an issue with the newer models. The Mini 2 is small enough that it’s easy to carry everything on with you. I would definitely carry the batteries on at the least. Maybe even get flameproof battery transport bags (Amazon has them).

Good luck and hope you find some great places to fly there!

hecklerz's gear list:hecklerz's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Canon Pixma Pro-10 Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max Apple iPad Pro +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads