X-T3 too much for a beginner?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
feverShot New Member • Posts: 12
X-T3 too much for a beginner?

I've been creating a decent bit of content this past year (thank you unwanted free time), and only having my phone has become quite a pain, and making me feel limited.

Specifically, my time is spent probably around 60% photography and %40 video (70% - 30% with the cold weather, but I expect that to go back to normal). The Fuji X-T3 was recommended to me from photographers I trust, and whos work I love and respect, but I'm just wondering if it's too much camera for my first big camera purchase.

I don't see my content creation taking a backseat in the near future, so buying something towards the entry level makes me weary as well because I don't want to outgrow it too fast.

After tons of research (too much sometimes) I've landed in between the Fuji X-T30 and X-T3, looking on the used sections of Adorama, ebay, b&h etc.

Totally missed out on the cheap price for the X-T3 this past summer, so I'm kicking myself for that.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Also I'm new to the forums, so thanks in advance!

feverShot's gear list:feverShot's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Craig Gillette Forum Pro • Posts: 11,109
Re: X-T3 too much for a beginner?

I'm not a Fuji user but don't see a problem. Ease of use for basic and more advanced features strikes me as a good idea, even if you slowly make your way through them. Or quickly.

"Entry level" works fine for those who just want the camera to do most, if not all the work. But a beginning enthusiast might be expected to want to move past that.

I might caution about "budget." If there are restraints, and we all have them to some extent.  Overspending in one are might slow down or eliminate the ability to proceed in some other area of interest.  A bit of a stretch example but like with Sony, the 24-70/2.8 G Master is $2100. The alternative Sigma 24-70/2.8 is $1100 and the Tamron 28-75/2.8 is under $900.

JasonTheBirder
JasonTheBirder Senior Member • Posts: 1,598

Heck no. Beginners should get a camera they can grow with, not one that will limit them later. The more features, the better. The worst is if you get really into photography and you have to end up getting another camera because the first one just isn't enough camera.

-- hide signature --

My personal website: https://jpolak.org/

AstroVagabond
AstroVagabond Regular Member • Posts: 419

In my opinion as an X-T1 owner the X-T3 will serve you well. Good for stills and video.

But also in my opinion make sure you understand the costs for the lenses you'll need to pair with the body.

Good luck!

(Disclaimer: Everything I post on DPReview fora is my opinion and should be treated as such unless you believe in what my opinion states. In that case it may be fact and not opinion. The reader should decide appropriately.)

-- hide signature --

Mount: HEQ5 Pro / Scope: WO ZenithStar 61 II w/Z61A Field Flattener
Polar Scope: QHY Polemaster :: Camera: ZWO ASI294MM Pro
Guide Scope: UniGuide 32mm & ZWO ASI120MM Mini :: Bortle Class 8
N.I.N.A., PHD2, Cartes du Ciel, Astro Pixel Processor, Photoshop
https://www.youtube.com/astrovagabond
https://blog.astrovagabond.com

AstroVagabond's gear list:AstroVagabond's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
OP feverShot New Member • Posts: 12

Thanks for the confidence boost!

I'm finding decent prices for used X T3's, hoping to land an open box deal on ebay or adorama.

The X T4 video looks crazy sick, but I don't think I'll be needing the ibis extras, and I kinda like the XT3 screen.

Good advice on the having to upgrade and outgrowing too fast!

KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 19,396

The differences between the X-T30 and X-T3 are more about performance than features.  Links for lots of opinions on these choices -

Any reason NOT to buy a Fujifilm XT-3 as a first camera?

Replacing Photography gear

Comparing the X-T3 and the a6400

From Canon 6D to mirrorless

Kelly Cook

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic G85
JasonTheBirder
JasonTheBirder Senior Member • Posts: 1,598

feverShot wrote:

I'm finding decent prices for used X T3's, hoping to land an open box deal on ebay or adorama.

The X T4 video looks crazy sick, but I don't think I'll be needing the ibis extras, and I kinda like the XT3 screen.

Yeah, good luck! I think you'll be pretty happy with an open-box/used XT3. The cool thing about that camera is it has pretty slick video too so you can do so much with it. And of course it is a very advanced stills camera. Hope to see your shots in this forum soon!

-- hide signature --

My personal website: https://jpolak.org/

Bill Ferris
Bill Ferris Veteran Member • Posts: 6,438

The two cameras have much in common. They're built around the same sensor, feature the same image processor, have the same autofocus system, and will make still images of the same quality when photographing the same scene with the same lens.

Depending on the photography and videography you do, one or the other may be the better fit. Potential advantages of the X-T3 include include better video performance specs and features. The X-T3 has a dedicated headphone jack. The X-T30 does not but you can use the USB-C port to monitor audio. The X-T3 can record in 4K at up to 60 fps and at a higher bit rate. With its dual media slots and better battery life, I'd consider the X-T3 significantly better for video.

That said, 4K files are huge, take up a lot of drive space, and really push a computer when running Final Cut or Premiere Pro. If you're publishing mostly to YouTube and your content is mostly informational vs artistic visuals, the video performance advantage may not be as valuable.

It sounds like this will be your first interchangeable lens camera (ILC). The X-T30 is very capable and works with all the same lenses as the X-T3. If the cost savings of the X-T30 would allow you to spend an extra $500 on a lens, tripod, camera pack, photo & video editing software, or other kit that will support this emergent interest, it may be the better choice.

Either way, you'll be getting a solid ILC and buying into a great system of lenses. Good luck with your decision.

By the way, if the content creation you do has special needs or would benefit from certain specific functionality, sharing that with the group might spark more input that's targeted at evaluating how these cameras address your specific priority needs.

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ
http://www.billferris.photoshelter.com

Bill Ferris's gear list:Bill Ferris's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Nick on the Baltic
Nick on the Baltic Regular Member • Posts: 272

Another option you could consider is the Fujifilm X-S10, a new kid on the block that might come in at around the same cost as an X-T3.

If you can, try all the options out in a camera store, as size/weight/handling can be very important and are very individual.

-- hide signature --

Nick on the Baltic

Nick on the Baltic's gear list:Nick on the Baltic's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-M1 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
InkedMarie
InkedMarie Senior Member • Posts: 1,364

feverShot wrote:

Take a look at KEH and B&H as well. Good luck!

Marie

InkedMarie's gear list:InkedMarie's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +1 more
Greybeard2017
Greybeard2017 Senior Member • Posts: 1,788

feverShot wrote:

I've been creating a decent bit of content this past year (thank you unwanted free time), and only having my phone has become quite a pain, and making me feel limited.

Specifically, my time is spent probably around 60% photography and %40 video (70% - 30% with the cold weather, but I expect that to go back to normal). The Fuji X-T3 was recommended to me from photographers I trust, and whos work I love and respect, but I'm just wondering if it's too much camera for my first big camera purchase.

I don't see my content creation taking a backseat in the near future, so buying something towards the entry level makes me weary as well because I don't want to outgrow it too fast.

After tons of research (too much sometimes) I've landed in between the Fuji X-T30 and X-T3, looking on the used sections of Adorama, ebay, b&h etc.

Totally missed out on the cheap price for the X-T3 this past summer, so I'm kicking myself for that.

You might also seriously consider the X-S10

i have the X-T3 and had the X-T30

The camera I find myself picking up when I go out is the X-S10 for the comfortable ergonomics and the IBIS

Greybeard2017's gear list:Greybeard2017's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm X-S10
OP feverShot New Member • Posts: 12

Greybeard2017 wrote:

feverShot wrote:

You might also seriously consider the X-S10

i have the X-T3 and had the X-T30

The camera I find myself picking up when I go out is the X-S10 for the comfortable ergonomics and the IBIS

I have looked at the X-S10 a little bit! Price wise, I was figuring that I should just get the Xt3 at that point since a used x-T3 can be found on ebay for near the price of a new Xs10.

The big reason the X-T30 has been on my mind is because of the used deals I have been finding. I almost pulled the trigger on an open box one for $650. This would open up so much room for new lenses. Thanks for the insight!

Bob
Bob Senior Member • Posts: 2,801

How long do you plan on being a ‘beginner’? The Fuji X cameras are great.

That said, I currently own two Nikon DSLRs, a Fuji X-T10, and previously had a Canon, Sony, and Olympus.

I can’t really say that ANY decent camera is more suitable for a beginner than another.  Frankly - in my opinion, they’re all pretty much the same.

So the question is not whether an X-T3 is too much for a beginner.  The question is are you ready to step up from a smartphone or some auto point-n-shoot?  If the answer is yes, then  don’t obsess over which mirrorless or DSLR is “easier” to use.  They’re all the same.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads