Backyard Songbirds

Started 3 months ago | Photos
TeeJay626 Regular Member • Posts: 393
Backyard Songbirds

Haven't had a chance to get out to any of the local parks due to a rough February weather-wise up here.  Still have a lot of cloudy and rainy/snowy days but I like to park myself by my back door and see what I can capture.

I recently updated my camera body to the Canon 80D and also purchased the Canon 100-400L IS II after renting it for my Yellowstone trip last August.

Enjoy.  All comments welcome.  Just an amateur here

First time I ever saw this bird, a Pine Warbler

Incoming!

TeeJay626's gear list:TeeJay626's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H55 Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 80D Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM | C +6 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Canon EOS 80D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mikel10
Mikel10 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,205
Re: Backyard Songbirds

Very nice captures. Thanks for sharing.

Mikel10's gear list:Mikel10's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm 120mm F4 Macro Fujifilm GF 250mm F4
Gautam Majumdar Forum Pro • Posts: 18,062

Great shots. TFS

-- hide signature --

Gautam

frogstar
frogstar Senior Member • Posts: 1,253

Great series.

-- hide signature --
macrouser
macrouser Senior Member • Posts: 1,495

Some great shots.  I especially like the first two.  The colors came up really good.

The starling is very pretty.

macrouser's gear list:macrouser's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a7R III Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +2 more
Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 19,402

Great exposure and details.  You might want to set up some natural looking perches near your feeder to get more natural looking images.  Very nice voriety

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C XF 90mm Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +12 more
OP TeeJay626 Regular Member • Posts: 393

Morris0 wrote:

Great exposure and details. You might want to set up some natural looking perches near your feeder to get more natural looking images. Very nice voriety

Morris

Thanks for the tip.  My yard isn't the biggest, and my dog needs her space!  But I will look into some natural looking perches.  I do want to replace my current setup as it really isn't that sturdy.

I've been working on different exposure techniques and now that I have a professional lens, I really want to learn how to take full advantage of it.  I must say that this lens has given me a new joy of photography once I saw just how much better it is than any other I've owned.  I unfortunately became a "pixel peeper" over the years and that made me want to get better glass.  I rented the Canon 100-400L IS II in August for our annual Yellowstone trip, and was blown away by it's results.  Even my wife, who says she never sees a difference in pictures, had to acknowledge how great the pics looked, and gave me the go-ahead to make the purchase.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H55 Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 80D Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM | C +6 more
1elementin7groups
1elementin7groups Veteran Member • Posts: 4,271

Congrats on the lens and your images are excellent. I hope since you got your new toy you will be posting more!

As Morris said, natural perches look best. This is easily done by taking a limb off a tree or scrounging for one that a neighbor pruned, and clamping it on one of your existing feeder bars. A bit higher up, but over the feeder and the birds tend to land there, look around then proceed to the feeder. It is when they land on the perch to look around is when you shoot. Also you can pre-focus and pre-zoom on the spot on the perch.

A couple examples:

Dave

1elementin7groups's gear list:1elementin7groups's gear list
Sony FE 600mm F4 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG DN Sony a1 Sony 2.0x Teleconverter +10 more
Morris0

TeeJay626 wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

Great exposure and details. You might want to set up some natural looking perches near your feeder to get more natural looking images. Very nice voriety

Morris

Thanks for the tip. My yard isn't the biggest, and my dog needs her space! But I will look into some natural looking perches. I do want to replace my current setup as it really isn't that sturdy.

I've been working on different exposure techniques and now that I have a professional lens, I really want to learn how to take full advantage of it. I must say that this lens has given me a new joy of photography once I saw just how much better it is than any other I've owned. I unfortunately became a "pixel peeper" over the years and that made me want to get better glass. I rented the Canon 100-400L IS II in August for our annual Yellowstone trip, and was blown away by it's results. Even my wife, who says she never sees a difference in pictures, had to acknowledge how great the pics looked, and gave me the go-ahead to make the purchase.

Could it be that Yellowstone motivated you?  It's an amazing place.  For perches you can do things like tie a twig to one of the structures you showed in these images or even the feeder.

Morris

Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C XF 90mm Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +12 more

Morris0 wrote:

TeeJay626 wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

Morris

Thanks for the tip. My yard isn't the biggest, and my dog needs her space! But I will look into some natural looking perches. I do want to replace my current setup as it really isn't that sturdy.

I've been working on different exposure techniques and now that I have a professional lens, I really want to learn how to take full advantage of it. I must say that this lens has given me a new joy of photography once I saw just how much better it is than any other I've owned. I unfortunately became a "pixel peeper" over the years and that made me want to get better glass. I rented the Canon 100-400L IS II in August for our annual Yellowstone trip, and was blown away by it's results. Even my wife, who says she never sees a difference in pictures, had to acknowledge how great the pics looked, and gave me the go-ahead to make the purchase.

Could it be that Yellowstone motivated you? It's an amazing place. For perches you can do things like tie a twig to one of the structures you showed in these images or even the feeder.

Morris

LOL, yes, Yellowstone has actually turned me into a lover of photography.  We first went in 2008 and I had a horrible 5MP Olympus P&S camera.  From there it turned into a Sony H-55, then a Canon SX-40 bridge camera, into a Canon T3i with kit lenses, to a Canon 60D, 77D and now my 80D.

This is my 2nd L lens, the first being a 300 f4 IS, which was a great lens, but not quite enough reach, and I do prefer a zoom.  I'm heading to a National Wildlife Refuge later this week, and then back to Yellowstone in early June.  This is our 13th year in a row going to Yellowstone, so I guess we're hooked.

1elementin7groups wrote:

Congrats on the lens and your images are excellent. I hope since you got your new toy you will be posting more!

As Morris said, natural perches look best. This is easily done by taking a limb off a tree or scrounging for one that a neighbor pruned, and clamping it on one of your existing feeder bars. A bit higher up, but over the feeder and the birds tend to land there, look around then proceed to the feeder. It is when they land on the perch to look around is when you shoot. Also you can pre-focus and pre-zoom on the spot on the perch.

A couple examples:

Dave

Wow, great shots!  Thanks for the tips.  I see a feeder project in my near future.

Morris0

TeeJay626 wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

TeeJay626 wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

Morris

Could it be that Yellowstone motivated you? It's an amazing place. For perches you can do things like tie a twig to one of the structures you showed in these images or even the feeder.

Morris

LOL, yes, Yellowstone has actually turned me into a lover of photography. We first went in 2008 and I had a horrible 5MP Olympus P&S camera. From there it turned into a Sony H-55, then a Canon SX-40 bridge camera, into a Canon T3i with kit lenses, to a Canon 60D, 77D and now my 80D.

This is my 2nd L lens, the first being a 300 f4 IS, which was a great lens, but not quite enough reach, and I do prefer a zoom. I'm heading to a National Wildlife Refuge later this week, and then back to Yellowstone in early June. This is our 13th year in a row going to Yellowstone, so I guess we're hooked.

Visit Grand Teton and the National Elk refuge while you are there

Morris

Morris0 wrote:

TeeJay626 wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

TeeJay626 wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

Morris

Morris

LOL, yes, Yellowstone has actually turned me into a lover of photography. We first went in 2008 and I had a horrible 5MP Olympus P&S camera. From there it turned into a Sony H-55, then a Canon SX-40 bridge camera, into a Canon T3i with kit lenses, to a Canon 60D, 77D and now my 80D.

This is my 2nd L lens, the first being a 300 f4 IS, which was a great lens, but not quite enough reach, and I do prefer a zoom. I'm heading to a National Wildlife Refuge later this week, and then back to Yellowstone in early June. This is our 13th year in a row going to Yellowstone, so I guess we're hooked.

Morris

We always spend at least 1 night in Jackson for the Tetons.  During the summer months when I go (June-September), the National Elk Refuge is desolate as the elk have migrated back into the park.

In the Tetons, I will usually use my Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 OS Contemporary lens for landscapes, as it's an amazing lens.  I will also use my Canon 10-18 IS.

I've had some great wildlife experiences in the Tetons, although I've never seen a wolf there.  Grizzlies, elk, moose, yes.  Also found a great spot for bald eagles.

Morris0

TeeJay626 wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

TeeJay626 wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

TeeJay626 wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

Morris

Morris

Morris

We always spend at least 1 night in Jackson for the Tetons. During the summer months when I go (June-September), the National Elk Refuge is desolate as the elk have migrated back into the park.

In the Tetons, I will usually use my Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 OS Contemporary lens for landscapes, as it's an amazing lens. I will also use my Canon 10-18 IS.

I've had some great wildlife experiences in the Tetons, although I've never seen a wolf there. Grizzlies, elk, moose, yes. Also found a great spot for bald eagles.

The summer is a great time for raptors,  pronghorn in the Elk Refuge

Morris

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads