M1 Mac Mini (16GB, 1TB) with 43" 4K HDR Samsung TV in scaled mode

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
P10004K
P10004K Senior Member • Posts: 1,337
M1 Mac Mini (16GB, 1TB) with 43" 4K HDR Samsung TV in scaled mode
1

-- hide signature --

BTW I also have a Mac Pro with dual 28" 4K Dell monitors and here is a screenshot of it in scaled mode.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/605495697014350

 P10004K's gear list:P10004K's gear list
Sony a7R Samsung NX1 Sony a6300 Panasonic GH5 Nikon Coolpix P1000 +25 more
Vossing Junior Member • Posts: 30
Re: M1 Mac Mini (16GB, 1TB) with 43" 4K HDR Samsung TV in scaled mode

I am interested in the keyboard you are using, looks like there is light behind the keys!
Can you share info about it?

Svein

 Vossing's gear list:Vossing's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +3 more
P10004K
OP P10004K Senior Member • Posts: 1,337
Re: M1 Mac Mini (16GB, 1TB) with 43" 4K HDR Samsung TV in scaled mode

Vossing wrote:

I am interested in the keyboard you are using, looks like there is light behind the keys!
Can you share info about it?

Svein

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CZFQCKL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-- hide signature --

Nikon Coolpix P950 & P1000 4K 83x & 125x Superzoom Facebook Group

 P10004K's gear list:P10004K's gear list
Sony a7R Samsung NX1 Sony a6300 Panasonic GH5 Nikon Coolpix P1000 +25 more
Vossing Junior Member • Posts: 30
Re: M1 Mac Mini (16GB, 1TB) with 43" 4K HDR Samsung TV in scaled mode

Thanks a lot for the info. about the keyboard.

Svein

 Vossing's gear list:Vossing's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +3 more
TheFall71 New Member • Posts: 1
Re: M1 Mac Mini (16GB, 1TB) with 43" 4K HDR Samsung TV in scaled mode

How did you show the 'Larger text' option in scaled? I thought it was only showing in monitor. I've hooked up my M1 Mac mini on 32" & 24" 1080p Toshiba TV and it's only showing the resolution option in scaled. Scaled down to 720p since the text is very small and difficult to read with viewing distance 5,2ft. I was going to buy 4K Sony TV maybe X900H and afraid the Larger Text option is unavailable too on this Sony TV. If text size is very small on 1080p 32" TV then how small is it in 4K TV if Larger Text option unavailable.

wklee Veteran Member • Posts: 9,619
SwitchResX

P10004K wrote:

You can try Madrau's SwitchResX. it could help with more screen resolution on external monitors.

https://www.madrau.com

"Is SwitchResX compatible with Apple Silicon (M1) Macs ?

SwitchResX 4 versions 4.10 should work on Apple Silicon Macs, though in Rosetta emulation mode.

Most of the advanced features like disabling a display, rotating a display or overscanning a display aren't working with version 4.10.1 and below, due to the complete new architecture.

Version 4.11 was tested on the Apple Development Kit and brings back some features the new Apple Silicon architecture.

On version 4.11 on the DTK and the M1 Macs, this is again possible:
- display rotation
- display underscan

However, it's not possible to create custom resolutions on M1 Macs because this function was completely removed by Apple in the implementation of the new graphical subsystem.

Version 4.11.1 is now in development on a M1 Mac and should work better. You can find the 4.11.1 pre release versions on the beta page.

On 4.11.1 on M1 Macs, you can again:
- define custom scaled resolutions for external displays, though this is limited to resolutions smaller than native. You cannot create complete custom resolutions, only

scaling is supported by Apple.
- set the brightness of internal displays
- set your display in gray levels
- get information about the current timing that defines a resolution
- export the EDID if the display does support it (this always works on the DTK, but I've never seen it supported on the M1 Macs - maybe on future Macs this will be active again ?)

-- hide signature --

Never buy version 1.0 of anything.
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
Joni Mitchell's Big Yellow Taxi

P10004K
OP P10004K Senior Member • Posts: 1,337
Re: M1 Mac Mini (16GB, 1TB) with 43" 4K HDR Samsung TV in scaled mode

TheFall71 wrote:

How did you show the 'Larger text' option in scaled? I thought it was only showing in monitor. I've hooked up my M1 Mac mini on 32" & 24" 1080p Toshiba TV and it's only showing the resolution option in scaled. Scaled down to 720p since the text is very small and difficult to read with viewing distance 5,2ft. I was going to buy 4K Sony TV maybe X900H and afraid the Larger Text option is unavailable too on this Sony TV. If text size is very small on 1080p 32" TV then how small is it in 4K TV if Larger Text option unavailable.

I have no problem showing larger text on my 43" 4K UHD Samsung TV with my M1 Mac Mini.

-- hide signature --

Nikon Coolpix P950 & P1000 4K 83x & 125x Superzoom Facebook Group

 P10004K's gear list:P10004K's gear list
Sony a7R Samsung NX1 Sony a6300 Panasonic GH5 Nikon Coolpix P1000 +25 more
keeponkeepingon Senior Member • Posts: 1,579
Re: M1 Mac Mini (16GB, 1TB) with 43" 4K HDR Samsung TV in scaled mode

TheFall71 wrote:

How did you show the 'Larger text' option in scaled? I thought it was only showing in monitor. I've hooked up my M1 Mac mini on 32" & 24" 1080p Toshiba TV and it's only showing the resolution option in scaled. Scaled down to 720p since the text is very small and difficult to read with viewing distance 5,2ft. I was going to buy 4K Sony TV maybe X900H and afraid the Larger Text option is unavailable too on this Sony TV. If text size is very small on 1080p 32" TV then how small is it in 4K TV if Larger Text option unavailable.

Do the larger text options just show bigger text or make the resolution smaller than 4K?

If it's just changing the resolution you can get more resolution options in big sur by hitting the mac option key while hitting the resolution menu:

https://medium.com/internetstack/how-to-set-a-custom-scaled-screen-resolution-on-macos-big-sur-ef1013b84f0d

Also I've read that using a USB-C to HDMI connection to a TV will give you more resolution options than just a straight HDMI cable (I'm just using USB-C to HDMI with my M1/4k TV, I need to switch to an HDMI cable to see if this is true).

 keeponkeepingon's gear list:keeponkeepingon's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS M Sony a6000 Sony a5100 +1 more
MtnBikerCalif Regular Member • Posts: 229
Re: M1 Mac Mini (16GB, 1TB) with 43" 4K HDR Samsung TV in scaled mode

What are the downsides to using a TV as a monitor. It certainly seems cheaper than any monitor.

If I calculated correctly, the TV is 103 ppi compared to 218 ppi for the 27" Retina iMac.

 MtnBikerCalif's gear list:MtnBikerCalif's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S
keeponkeepingon Senior Member • Posts: 1,579
Re: M1 Mac Mini (16GB, 1TB) with 43" 4K HDR Samsung TV in scaled mode

MtnBikerCalif wrote:

What are the downsides to using a TV as a monitor. It certainly seems cheaper than any monitor.

If I calculated correctly, the TV is 103 ppi compared to 218 ppi for the 27" Retina iMac.

For a big TV neck strain swiveling your head back and forth to see the whole screen.

some TVs use flicker to fake dimming so that could be an eyestrain/headache issue for some. rtings has a nice write up on the best TVs to use for monitors:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/pc-monitor

 keeponkeepingon's gear list:keeponkeepingon's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS M Sony a6000 Sony a5100 +1 more
MtnBikerCalif Regular Member • Posts: 229
Re: M1 Mac Mini (16GB, 1TB) with 43" 4K HDR Samsung TV in scaled mode

keeponkeepingon wrote:

MtnBikerCalif wrote:

What are the downsides to using a TV as a monitor. It certainly seems cheaper than any monitor.

If I calculated correctly, the TV is 103 ppi compared to 218 ppi for the 27" Retina iMac.

For a big TV neck strain swiveling your head back and forth to see the whole screen.

some TVs use flicker to fake dimming so that could be an eyestrain/headache issue for some. rtings has a nice write up on the best TVs to use for monitors:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/pc-monitor

Thank you, review talks about tradeoffs. I'm currently using a 24" 4K  monitor with my 27" iMac, so the swiveling should be less. It's a bit of overkill and unwieldily, but I had the 24" before the iMac and I'm thinking of what comes next—I'm waiting to see what else is released this year in Apple Silicon.

A 32" seems about right for me. Hoping for a 32" iMac but maybe I won't want to spend that much. One screen would require better organization. It's easy to put something on the second monitor and use most of the screen for another app.

But I also use a 2013 MBP at the kitchen table and for travel (which will happen again) and certainly won't replace both the iMac and the MBP at the same time.

 MtnBikerCalif's gear list:MtnBikerCalif's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S
keeponkeepingon Senior Member • Posts: 1,579
Re: M1 Mac Mini (16GB, 1TB) with 43" 4K HDR Samsung TV in scaled mode

MtnBikerCalif wrote:

keeponkeepingon wrote:

MtnBikerCalif wrote:

What are the downsides to using a TV as a monitor. It certainly seems cheaper than any monitor.

If I calculated correctly, the TV is 103 ppi compared to 218 ppi for the 27" Retina iMac.

For a big TV neck strain swiveling your head back and forth to see the whole screen.

some TVs use flicker to fake dimming so that could be an eyestrain/headache issue for some. rtings has a nice write up on the best TVs to use for monitors:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/pc-monitor

Thank you, review talks about tradeoffs. I'm currently using a 24" 4K monitor with my 27" iMac, so the swiveling should be less. It's a bit of overkill and unwieldily, but I had the 24" before the iMac and I'm thinking of what comes next—I'm waiting to see what else is released this year in Apple Silicon.

A 32" seems about right for me. Hoping for a 32" iMac but maybe I won't want to spend that much. One screen would require better organization. It's easy to put something on the second monitor and use most of the screen for another app.

But I also use a 2013 MBP at the kitchen table and for travel (which will happen again) and certainly won't replace both the iMac and the MBP at the same time.

> One screen would require better organization.

Especially one 4k screen without scaling.  I'm looking at apps like moom, magnet and rectangle to make up for macos's lack of a "fancy zones" tool (MS windows powertoy).

 keeponkeepingon's gear list:keeponkeepingon's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS M Sony a6000 Sony a5100 +1 more
P10004K
OP P10004K Senior Member • Posts: 1,337
Re: M1 Mac Mini (16GB, 1TB) with 43" 4K HDR Samsung TV in scaled mode

MtnBikerCalif wrote:

What are the downsides to using a TV as a monitor. It certainly seems cheaper than any monitor.

If I calculated correctly, the TV is 103 ppi compared to 218 ppi for the 27" Retina iMac.

Zero downsides, I have been using big monitors since Windows 95 beta in 1995 with my $2K Nanao T2-20 and I like the 43" Samsung 4K UHD HDR TV with my M1 Mac Mini better than my Mac Pro with dual 28" 4K Dell monitors.Zero neck strain and a myriad of text size settings.

-- hide signature --

Nikon Coolpix P950 & P1000 4K 83x & 125x Superzoom Facebook Group

 P10004K's gear list:P10004K's gear list
Sony a7R Samsung NX1 Sony a6300 Panasonic GH5 Nikon Coolpix P1000 +25 more
Derekww
Derekww New Member • Posts: 10
Re: M1 Mac Mini (16GB, 1TB) with 43" 4K HDR Samsung TV in scaled mode

You can change to a larger font size for menu bar text and menu items text. Go to System Preferences > Accessibility > Display > Menu bar size > Large. While it says 'Menu bar size', it's actually the menu font size that is changed.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads