Shutter shock with the Z50

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
sharkyofcuths Regular Member • Posts: 126
Shutter shock with the Z50

I'm thinking of buying a Z50 and using it with the Z mount 50 1.8 16-50 and 50-250.

Has anyone experienced shutter shock at 1/60-1/160 when using the MS?

These are the primary speeds I'm intending to use it at (I'm planning on doing a lot of theatre photography after lockdown ends), and there will be times when I can't use ES, so I want to make sure that it will be free of shutter shock.

Nikon Z50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
topg Forum Member • Posts: 75
Re: Shutter shock with the Z50
kenw
kenw Veteran Member • Posts: 6,326

Just use EFCS.  No shutter shock and none of the problems of fully electronic shutter.

-- hide signature --

Ken W
See profile for equipment list

kenw's gear list:kenw's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-M5 II Nikon Z7 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR +37 more
PLShutterbug Contributing Member • Posts: 937

sharkyofcuths wrote:

I'm thinking of buying a Z50 and using it with the Z mount 50 1.8 16-50 and 50-250.

Has anyone experienced shutter shock at 1/60-1/160 when using the MS?

These are the primary speeds I'm intending to use it at (I'm planning on doing a lot of theatre photography after lockdown ends), and there will be times when I can't use ES, so I want to make sure that it will be free of shutter shock.

I don’t have a Z50 but maybe I can help with clarity so people can guide you correctly.

Nikon doesn’t use the term “electronic shutter,” which I presume you mean by “ES.”

They use the term “electronic first (or front) curtain shutter,” or EFCS, where the exposure starts without a curtain movement and ends with a trailing curtain. There is no shutter shock with this.

They also use the term “Silent Photography,” where the shutter curtains never move. This is what other manufacturers call electronic shutter. There is obviously no shutter shock here either.

Which do you mean, and when are the circumstances where you cannot use it?

Then others can best guide you.

PLShutterbug's gear list:PLShutterbug's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Nikon D7100 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +4 more
OP sharkyofcuths Regular Member • Posts: 126

Yes, by "ES" I mean "electronic shutter" or "silent shutter".

A lot of my photography happens in rehearsal rooms, which can be converted offices full of fluorescent/LED lighting, which plays havoc with electronic shutters. I've also found that an increasing number of theatre venues are using LED lights, which can also cause problems.

Basically, when I'm shooting theatre 1/60 tends to be my minimum speed and 1/160 my maximum, so it's important that any camera that I buy doesn't suffer from shutter shock at those speeds.

(when I do other sorts of photography, like sports or birds, I tend to shoot with a manual shutter at 1/200 or greater because electronic shutter creates rolling shutter effects).

OP sharkyofcuths Regular Member • Posts: 126

I meant mechanical - not manual - shutter!

PLShutterbug Contributing Member • Posts: 937

sharkyofcuths wrote:

I meant mechanical - not manual - shutter!

Well, we’ll let it go ... this time.

PLShutterbug's gear list:PLShutterbug's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Nikon D7100 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads