Rocoh 3 new limited lenses...

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Benoz
Benoz Veteran Member • Posts: 6,628
Rocoh 3 new limited lenses...

Ricoh is offering a pre-order of three new lenses.

Nice!

HD PENTAX-FA 31mmF1.8 Limited

HD PENTAX-FA 43mmF1.9 Limited

HD PENTAX-FA 77mmF1.8 Limited

Benoz's gear list:Benoz's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax KP Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +6 more
neokind Forum Member • Posts: 60
Re: Rocoh 3 new limited lenses...

Benoz wrote:

Nice!

“New”

The difference from the legacy lenses is in the coating and aperture blade shape, right?  Are there other changes?  They haven’t been redesigned and optimized for digital sensors?

neokind's gear list:neokind's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony a6400 Voigtlander 12mm F5.6 Ultra Wide Heliar Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +10 more
Ergo607
Ergo607 Senior Member • Posts: 1,440

neokind wrote:

Benoz wrote:

Nice!

“New”

The difference from the legacy lenses is in the coating and aperture blade shape, right? Are there other changes? They haven’t been redesigned and optimized for digital sensors?

Please, let it go, this is getting tiring. There is no need to redesign the optical formula. The philosophy behind the Limiteds is to allow for some optical imperfections as to have a less plastic, more vibrant pop. While there may be sharper lenses out there, none have the character of the Limiteds...

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Marc

Ergo607's gear list:Ergo607's gear list
Pentax *ist D Pentax K10D Pentax Q Pentax Q7 Pentax K-3 +23 more

Ergo607 wrote:

neokind wrote:

Benoz wrote:

Nice!

“New”

The difference from the legacy lenses is in the coating and aperture blade shape, right? Are there other changes? They haven’t been redesigned and optimized for digital sensors?

Please, let it go, this is getting tiring. There is no need to redesign the optical formula. The philosophy behind the Limiteds is to allow for some optical imperfections as to have a less plastic, more vibrant pop. While there may be sharper lenses out there, none have the character of the Limiteds...

Yes, I understand the design philosophy and owned good copies of the 31 and 77.  Nice lenses, that captured some memorable images for me.  My questions were genuine.  Was anything else changed besides the coating and the aperture blade shape?  If not, they’re still great lenses.  But more rereleases than ‘new.’

Sony a7 III Sony a6400 Voigtlander 12mm F5.6 Ultra Wide Heliar Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +10 more
Benoz
OP Benoz Veteran Member • Posts: 6,628

neokind wrote:

Ergo607 wrote:

neokind wrote:

Benoz wrote:

Nice!

“New”

Yes, I understand the design philosophy and owned good copies of the 31 and 77. Nice lenses, that captured some memorable images for me. My questions were genuine. Was anything else changed besides the coating and the aperture blade shape? If not, they’re still great lenses. But more rereleases than ‘new.’

Aren't the coating and the aperture blade shape enough changes for the lenses to be called "new" ? 

I don't own any but I might be tempted by the 77 f1.8.

I was hoping for a new 16-80 PLM or 18-135 PLM more than a prime limited.

Ben.

Benoz's gear list:Benoz's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax KP Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +6 more
DougOB
DougOB Senior Member • Posts: 2,200

Benoz wrote:

neokind wrote:

Ergo607 wrote:

neokind wrote:

Benoz wrote:

Nice!

“New”

Yes, I understand the design philosophy and owned good copies of the 31 and 77. Nice lenses, that captured some memorable images for me. My questions were genuine. Was anything else changed besides the coating and the aperture blade shape? If not, they’re still great lenses. But more rereleases than ‘new.’

Aren't the coating and the aperture blade shape enough changes for the lenses to be called "new" ?

Technically two coatings HD + SP   In any case a minor update is still an update.

The product pages on the Ricoh Japan web site mentions rounded aperture blades for the 31 and 43 but for the 77 it only refers to 9 blades?  Is this an omission on the web site or did they not do this for the 77?  The 77 already had excellent bokeh so it is possible that they felt there would be no advantage.  Just curious, not trying to generate rumours!

Cheers,

Doug

Ben.

DougOB's gear list:DougOB's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax Q-S1 Pentax K-70 Pentax KP +33 more

Benoz wrote:

neokind wrote:

Ergo607 wrote:

neokind wrote:

Benoz wrote:

Nice!

“New”

Ben.

Not in my book.  If I repaint my house or replace the oven, it doesn’t make the house ‘new.’  ‘Updated,’ perhaps.  ‘Remodeled’ would be a massive stretch.  ‘New’ is just plain false.

blåland Contributing Member • Posts: 509

I wonder if they use the same glass types. If they have change even one of them the lens has to be recalculated. And there will be new vs old arguments.

blåland's gear list:blåland's gear list
Sony a7 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +1 more
Gary Martin
Gary Martin Veteran Member • Posts: 4,878

Regardless of the new coatings, it gladdens my heart to see that these beauties are still in production

-- hide signature --
 Gary Martin's gear list:Gary Martin's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-1 Fujifilm X-T4 Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +8 more
zakaria
zakaria Veteran Member • Posts: 5,755

The soul of PENTAX

The magic of our beloved name PENTAX.

-- hide signature --

pentaxian .

zakaria's gear list:zakaria's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Pentax K-1 II Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon D780 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +8 more
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 40,984

neokind wrote:

Benoz wrote:

neokind wrote:

Ergo607 wrote:

neokind wrote:

Benoz wrote:

Nice!

“New”

Ben.

Not in my book. If I repaint my house or replace the oven, it doesn’t make the house ‘new.’ ‘Updated,’ perhaps. ‘Remodeled’ would be a massive stretch. ‘New’ is just plain false.

If your house design is like every other house design in your neighbourhood (cookie cutter houses) and the builder makes changes to the design and proceeds to make more houses, they'd still be new houses now wouldn't they?

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/user/SpeEedy/profile/photos?sortBy=photoFavoriteCount

Roland Karlsson Forum Pro • Posts: 29,363

MightyMike wrote:

neokind wrote:

Benoz wrote:

neokind wrote:

Ergo607 wrote:

neokind wrote:

Benoz wrote:

Nice!

“New”

Ben.

Not in my book. If I repaint my house or replace the oven, it doesn’t make the house ‘new.’ ‘Updated,’ perhaps. ‘Remodeled’ would be a massive stretch. ‘New’ is just plain false.

If your house design is like every other house design in your neighbourhood (cookie cutter houses) and the builder makes changes to the design and proceeds to make more houses, they'd still be new houses now wouldn't they?

Little boxes on the hillside
Little boxes made of ticky-tacky
Little boxes all the same
There's a green one and a pink one
And a blue one and a yellow one
And they're all made out of ticky-tacky
And they all look just the same

-- hide signature --

/Roland
Kalpanika X3F tools:
https://github.com/kalpanika/x3f

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sony RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 +14 more
RBIV Regular Member • Posts: 285

Roland Karlsson wrote:

Little boxes made of ticky-tacky
Little boxes all the same
There's a green one and a pink one
And a blue one and a yellow one
And they're all made out of ticky-tacky
And they all look just the same

LOL.  And now those little ticky-tackys sell for $ a million plus south of SF.  I bet Malvina Reynolds (writer) and Pete Seeger never would have imagined that in 1963.

RBIV's gear list:RBIV's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax KP Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +2 more

MightyMike wrote:

neokind wrote:

Benoz wrote:

neokind wrote:

Ergo607 wrote:

neokind wrote:

Benoz wrote:

Nice!

“New”

Ben.

I’m not following. The analogy is breaking down for me.  If you’re suggesting that the changes I mentioned (new paint and/or an appliance or two) would recategorize a home as ‘new’ I think you’re wrong.

But you mentioned hiring a builder and redesigning.  Where does that fit in?

Smitty2 Regular Member • Posts: 180

MightyMike wrote:

neokind wrote:

Benoz wrote:

neokind wrote:

Ergo607 wrote:

neokind wrote:

Benoz wrote:

Nice!

“New”

Ben.

These debates get tedious, but I have to 'speak' up and say you're not applying the analogy correctly.

It doesn't matter about the count of houses in the neighborhood, that is similar to the supply of a particular lens offered.

What matters is the unique designs of the houses in the neighborhood, that is similar to the unique optical designs offered.

What Ricoh is doing here is similar to what they did in 2013 with some of the DA lenses. They launched 'new' lenses consisting of the old formulas in the old shells with HD coatings and a thin, red painted ring on the outside edge.

That's not a new lens. Sure, the SKU is different. But to the photographer, it's essentially the same product. Same optical formula. They didn't even offer weather sealing or a focus motor to the update. Which is what it is. An update.

That said, at least they are doing something to try to refresh the lineup, even if it isn't a whole lot.

DHAPhotography
DHAPhotography Contributing Member • Posts: 805
And where are those lenses being made?

They look impressive. Made in Vietnam...beware....Made in Japan....Buy

-- hide signature --

DH Allison...Carpe Diem...the Reaper comes soon enough.

DHAPhotography's gear list:DHAPhotography's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 Fujifilm X-T20 Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
Re: And where are those lenses being made?

DHAPhotography wrote:

Why? Is there an observable difference in QC between facilities? My assumption would be that the lenses from the Vietnamese production facility would be on par with what has been produced in Japan, unless there is evidence to the contrary.

DougOB
DougOB Senior Member • Posts: 2,200

neokind wrote:

DHAPhotography wrote:

Why? Is there an observable difference in QC between facilities? My assumption would be that the lenses from the Vietnamese production facility would be on par with what has been produced in Japan, unless there is evidence to the contrary.

IIRC there were some QC problems when the manufacturing/assembly of Pentax lenses first moved to Vietnam. This corresponded somewhat with the initial SDM lenses which were not trivial.  I am not sure if it is still an issue.

Other companies (Nikon I believe) have recently shifted manufacturing/assembly out of Japan.

Doug

DougOB's gear list:DougOB's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax Q-S1 Pentax K-70 Pentax KP +33 more
TBLF Senior Member • Posts: 1,104

neokind wrote:

Benoz wrote:

neokind wrote:

Ergo607 wrote:

neokind wrote:

Benoz wrote:

Nice!

“New”

Ben.

What? No, you still have an old house with new stuff, it didn't just come off the assembly line with new paint color or type and a new type of oven, if it did THEN I WOULD consider it the new model. Besides, yours isn't even an apples to apples comparison.

If I go buy a new car, and the it has new double glazed ultra quiet thermal window coatings and a redesigned transmission for smoother shifting, (my chosen equivalent of HD, SP and new AP Blades) then I still got the new model year of a new car as far as I'm concerned.

Especially more so if we are talking about mature products that have been around for a long time... then improvements by nature become incremental. Why screw up something that already works well? Look at the Volkswagen Beetle, the Mini or the MG for instance... heh.

-- hide signature --

EricV

TBLF's gear list:TBLF's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Pentax FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 +7 more

DougOB wrote:

neokind wrote:

DHAPhotography wrote:

IIRC there were some QC problems when the manufacturing/assembly of Pentax lenses first moved to Vietnam. This corresponded somewhat with the initial SDM lenses which were not trivial. I am not sure if it is still an issue.

Other companies (Nikon I believe) have recently shifted manufacturing/assembly out of Japan.

Doug

Gotcha. I wonder if the QC problems were design, component, or assembly related?  I only owned one SDM lens, thankfully without issue, but I do recall there being a slew of complaints about failure within a year or two of purchase. Were these problems associated with early batches of the tech implementation by Pentax, or was it ongoing?  I’m largely ignorant to the details, so I’m curious.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads