Sony A7III and 16-35 lens OSS question

Started 3 months ago | Questions
rsmithsd73
rsmithsd73 Regular Member • Posts: 308
Sony A7III and 16-35 lens OSS question

Wondering if Sony cameras (specifically A7III / 16-35 f/4) will detect tripod, or do I have to disable stabilization in the menu? (lens OS and IBIS together) thanks

 rsmithsd73's gear list:rsmithsd73's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7 III Sony a9 II Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony FE 70-200 F4 +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
nkistrup
nkistrup Senior Member • Posts: 2,569
Re: Sony A7III and 16-35 lens OSS question
1

rsmithsd73 wrote:

Wondering if Sony cameras (specifically A7III / 16-35 f/4) will detect tripod, or do I have to disable stabilization in the menu? (lens OS and IBIS together) thanks

Lenses & cameras cannot detect tripods; you need to turn off image stabilization on your own.

-- hide signature --

“Photography is inspired by beauty, captured with passion.”
? Destin Sparks

 nkistrup's gear list:nkistrup's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D7100 Sony a7 III Sony a6400 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +10 more
kesariraju Junior Member • Posts: 37
Re: Sony A7III and 16-35 lens OSS question

rsmithsd73 wrote:

Wondering if Sony cameras (specifically A7III / 16-35 f/4) will detect tripod, or do I have to disable stabilization in the menu? (lens OS and IBIS together) thanks

May be a noob question, but are there cameras/Lenses with such a feature?

 kesariraju's gear list:kesariraju's gear list
Sony a7 III Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Sony FE 85mm F1.8
rsmithsd73
OP rsmithsd73 Regular Member • Posts: 308
Re: Sony A7III and 16-35 lens OSS question

Yes, Canon cameras (where I am moving from) of a certain generation do so.

 rsmithsd73's gear list:rsmithsd73's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7 III Sony a9 II Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony FE 70-200 F4 +4 more
kesariraju Junior Member • Posts: 37
Re: Sony A7III and 16-35 lens OSS question

rsmithsd73 wrote:

Yes, Canon cameras (where I am moving from) of a certain generation do so.

Thank you, interesting.

 kesariraju's gear list:kesariraju's gear list
Sony a7 III Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Sony FE 85mm F1.8
moficera Contributing Member • Posts: 565
Re: Sony A7III and 16-35 lens OSS question

nkistrup wrote:

rsmithsd73 wrote:

Wondering if Sony cameras (specifically A7III / 16-35 f/4) will detect tripod, or do I have to disable stabilization in the menu? (lens OS and IBIS together) thanks

Lenses & cameras cannot detect tripods; you need to turn off image stabilization on your own.

It might be something else but when I mounted my A7III with my 100-400 (could have been the 200-600, I'm not sure) on a tripod and used focus magnifier the screen was stabilized to some point when the image got shaky again as the vibration of the tripod got less. So I suspect with only a small amount of vibration the IS gets turned off.

 moficera's gear list:moficera's gear list
Sony a7 III Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Venus Laowa 100mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +12 more
SQLGuy
SQLGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 10,507
Re: Sony A7III and 16-35 lens OSS question

kesariraju wrote:

rsmithsd73 wrote:

Yes, Canon cameras (where I am moving from) of a certain generation do so.

Thank you, interesting.

Canon says this:

"With some of the earlier lenses, you needed to switch the IS off when using a tripod as the lack of movement confused the system and the image started to jump around the viewfinder. However, even when using a tripod, there can be some camera movement in high wind or with super telephoto lenses, which means the IS system can be invaluable. More recent IS lenses are able to detect the use of a tripod and automatically disable the IS, if necessary."

It would be nice to know which ones behave which way. I guess the lens manuals provide this information. Since it's the lens that's detecting it, seems like this benefit might apply when using these EF IS lenses on Sony bodies as well.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

 SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +26 more
Rol Lei Nut Veteran Member • Posts: 5,363
Re: Sony A7III and 16-35 lens OSS question

SQLGuy wrote:

kesariraju wrote:

rsmithsd73 wrote:

Yes, Canon cameras (where I am moving from) of a certain generation do so.

Thank you, interesting.

Canon says this:

"With some of the earlier lenses, you needed to switch the IS off when using a tripod as the lack of movement confused the system and the image started to jump around the viewfinder. However, even when using a tripod, there can be some camera movement in high wind or with super telephoto lenses, which means the IS system can be invaluable. More recent IS lenses are able to detect the use of a tripod and automatically disable the IS, if necessary."

It would be nice to know which ones behave which way. I guess the lens manuals provide this information. Since it's the lens that's detecting it, seems like this benefit might apply when using these EF IS lenses on Sony bodies as well.

With many lenses I've forgotten to turn off IBIS/OS when on a tripod, without any obvious bad effects.

But with the Sigma 100-400 5.0-6.3 DG DN, the image was visibly moving around the viewfinder and several of the shots were moved. This on a very stable tripod (A7RII body).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads