Editors that can store edits in DNG metadata

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Felix E Klee
Felix E Klee Regular Member • Posts: 374
Editors that can store edits in DNG metadata

ACR can store the non-destructive list of edits in DNG files, I assume in the EXIF data. That means neither a sidecar file nor a database is necessary to persist edits.

Are there any other editors that do so?

Felix E Klee's gear list:Felix E Klee's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5 Ricoh GR III
Joachim B Contributing Member • Posts: 729
Re: Editors that can store edits in DNG metadata

Yes I do. I use Lightroom and ACR/Photoshop. I shoot an Olympus raw, ORF, and convert that on import to DNG. Works like a charm to me. You can even incorporate the original ORF file into the DNG. Takes up much space, and i haven't seen the advantage yet.

But not all database information is stored in the file, only the development settings. So if you rely on folder structures, collections or star/color ratings, you still need the database for that.

Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 21,550
AFAIK - Only Lightroom.

For the most part, other parametric type editors use sidecar files.

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +11 more
Felix E Klee
OP Felix E Klee Regular Member • Posts: 374

Joachim B wrote:

Yes I do.

Actually, concerning my question, I guess you mean no, no other editors do that.

But not all database information is stored in the file, only the development settings. So if you rely on folder structures, collections or star/color ratings, you still need the database for that.

Good point. However, it doesn’t apply to me. I do my own organization of photos, and many photos are project based. So it wouldn’t make sense to keep them in one central database. I prefer one tool for a job, which is why I like ACR. I just don't like Adobe and their business practices. Also I have zero use for PS and LR, which are required for activating ACR. Nevertheless, it looks like I have no choice.

davidedric Veteran Member • Posts: 6,605

Felix E Klee wrote:

Joachim B wrote:

Yes I do.

Actually, concerning my question, I guess you mean no, no other editors do that.

Good point. However, it doesn’t apply to me. I do my own organization of photos, and many photos are project based. So it wouldn’t make sense to keep them in one central database. I prefer one tool for a job, which is why I like ACR. I just don't like Adobe and their business practices. Also I have zero use for PS and LR, which are required for activating ACR. Nevertheless, it looks like I have no choice.

You seem happy with what you are doing.  However, it would be easy to misinterpret what you say.

Lightroom does not prescribe any way of storing your images - your folder structure is entirely up to you.

Your images are not in Lightroom.  They are exactly where you put them, and Lightroom will not move them.

The Catalogue is a database referencing those files.  There is normally absolutely no need for multiple Catalogues - just sometimes photographers use separate Catalogues for different commercial clients.

davidedric's gear list:davidedric's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +3 more
Felix E Klee
OP Felix E Klee Regular Member • Posts: 374

davidedric wrote:

The Catalogue is a database referencing those files. There is normally absolutely no need for multiple Catalogues - just sometimes photographers use separate Catalogues for different commercial clients.

Some projects that I work on have data stored in Git repositories. So then the only option are sidecar files, having the edits stored in DNGs, or storing a database in each repository. Storing the edits in DNGs has the advantage that files can be moved and renamed without thinking twice. With sidecars or a database, renaming an image normally means that the reference breaks. The only exception that I'm aware of is Filmulator, recently featured on DPreview. It references images not by name but by a hash of their content. So you can rename them without breaking the database. However, it's still one centrally managed database.

davidedric Veteran Member • Posts: 6,605

Thanks for the clarification.  I appreciate your taking the trouble.

davidedric's gear list:davidedric's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads