SD Quattro H discontinued

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
GreatOceanSoftware
GreatOceanSoftware Regular Member • Posts: 368
SD Quattro H discontinued

For those interested, I just received this "stock alert" notification from B&H:

Thank you for your interest in the following item:

Sigma sd Quattro H Mirrorless Digital Camera (B&H # SISDQH)

You are receiving this message because you asked to be notified when this item becomes available. We regret to inform you that this item has unfortunately been discontinued. Please check back on our website for similar or possible replacement items.

We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.

-- hide signature --

Randy

GreatOceanSoftware's gear list:GreatOceanSoftware's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-E4 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm 15-45mm F3.5-5.6 OIS PZ +3 more
Sigma sd Quattro H
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 19,494
Re: SD Quattro H discontinued

GreatOceanSoftware wrote:

You are receiving this message because you asked to be notified when this item becomes available. We regret to inform you that this item has unfortunately been discontinued. Please check back on our website for similar or possible replacement items.

Thanks for the heads-up!

I wonder: discontinued by whom?

-- hide signature --

Pedantry is hard work, but someone has to do it ...

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Sigma SD9 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +13 more
FDecker Senior Member • Posts: 2,215

xpatUSA wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up!

By Sigma. The web pages of Sigma US and Sigma Germany say the same. The sd Quattro is still available but the H is discontinued.

xpatUSA

FDecker wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up!

By Sigma. The web pages of Sigma US and Sigma Germany say the same. The sd Quattro is still available but the H is discontinued.

Thanks Frank, I didn't look there obviously, duh. Bad news for Scott who is always planning to buy a new one.

Ominously, at B&H, the sd Quattro is marked as "Special Order" ...

-- hide signature --

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Sigma SD9 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +13 more

xpatUSA wrote:

FDecker wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up!

Thanks Frank, I didn't look there obviously, duh. Bad news for Scott who is always planning to buy a new one.

Sad to see the H go. Maybe it didn‘t pay off to have this single camera with a different sensor than the sd and dp cameras. And the price was much higher than for the sd Quattro. If they also discontinue the last sd, they may stop producing new lenses in SA mount. If there is ever a new FFF, it will for sure be an L mount camera.

xpatUSA

FDecker wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

FDecker wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up!

Sad to see the H go. Maybe it didn‘t pay off to have this single camera with a different sensor than the sd and dp cameras. And the price was much higher than for the sd Quattro. If they also discontinue the last sd, they may stop producing new lenses in SA mount. If there is ever a new FFF, it will for sure be an L mount camera.

Quite so.

I'll be sticking with what I have - all pre-Merrill and all-SA ...

-- hide signature --

xpatUSA wrote:

FDecker wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

FDecker wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up!

Quite so.

I'll be sticking with what I have - all pre-Merrill and all-SA ...

Not a bad decision, especially considering that you look at them on a moderately large monitor and don‘t plan to print as large as Scott does or plans to do.

DMillier Forum Pro • Posts: 22,581

FDecker wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

FDecker wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up!

Maybe they just sold all their stock? Might not have any sensors left to put in new bodies. Given that Sigma is not a volume seller, they may only have bought one batch of sensors.

-- hide signature --
tagscuderia
tagscuderia Senior Member • Posts: 1,904

FDecker wrote:

Sad to see the H go. Maybe it didn‘t pay off to have this single camera with a different sensor than the sd and dp cameras.

I doubt that any Quattro sensors have been produced for 2 years or longer and the (not exactly) APS-H sized variant will have been produced in far fewer quantities also. Oh the difficulties of small batch manufacturing!

And the price was much higher than for the sd Quattro. If they also discontinue the last sd, they may stop producing new lenses in SA mount.

Already happened, I’d bet. Perhaps back room stock of casings and mounts, but I doubt that they’re assembling any SA lenses since discontinuing the mount.

If there is ever a new FFF, it will for sure be an L mount camera.

It was never going to be SA, they’ve already discontinued it. With the sd Quattros already mirrorless, and given their L Mount partnership... yup.

tagscuderia's gear list:tagscuderia's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Sigma 50-100mm F1.8 DC HSM Art
fronko Regular Member • Posts: 272

i use a dp1 quattro camera that has already been back to sigma once and is starting to give up the ghost. i use it a lot.

so with all the news i thought id get another one before there are none to be had. didnt fancy a used one of ebay but yesterday sigma refurbished were selling a ex demo refurbished one with the standard 2 year warranty etc etc for a cheaper price so i bought it.

im hoping that ill use my current one till it dies and then start with the new one which hopefully will give me more than enough years with the foveon sensor even if sigma decide to pull the plug altogether.

i have and always have had for years ricoh gr cameras but i just like the foveon rendering (when sharpness and smoothness are down to a minimum anyway)

D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 28,914

tagscuderia wrote:

FDecker wrote:

Sad to see the H go. Maybe it didn‘t pay off to have this single camera with a different sensor than the sd and dp cameras.

I doubt that any Quattro sensors have been produced for 2 years or longer and the (not exactly) APS-H sized variant will have been produced in far fewer quantities also. Oh the difficulties of small batch manufacturing!

I would think that only one batch of the H sensor was made == probably two or three thousand.

"Sold out" would be a better expression to use than "discontinued".

And the price was much higher than for the sd Quattro. If they also discontinue the last sd, they may stop producing new lenses in SA mount.

Already happened, I’d bet. Perhaps back room stock of casings and mounts, but I doubt that they’re assembling any SA lenses since discontinuing the mount.

If there is ever a new FFF, it will for sure be an L mount camera.

It was never going to be SA, they’ve already discontinued it. With the sd Quattros already mirrorless, and given their L Mount partnership... yup.

D Cox's gear list:D Cox's gear list
Sigma fp
Ceistinne Senior Member • Posts: 2,656

It is not on the discontinued list of cameras on the Sigma Japan site, but I suppose it is likely that no new ones are being assembled.

S

Ceistinne's gear list:Ceistinne's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma SD9 Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 +5 more
eFilm Senior Member • Posts: 2,033

Ceistinne wrote:

It is not on the discontinued list of cameras on the Sigma Japan site, but I suppose it is likely that no new ones are being assembled.

Either that, or just a chicken-egg dilemma of logistics.

Most dealers have sold out their stock and getting more units would mean a special order from Japan and the factory directly. Which would mean a long delivery time to fulfil a small handful of orders at best, without getting any bulk discounts, so they won't bother. They'll focus on selling the more popular gear.

On the other hand, unless Sigma have unsold stock at hand, they're not likely to allocate resources for a small production run with just a small handful of orders, at least without a considerable delivery time.

As a result, the dealers are marking it as discontinued, even though the camera isn't officially discontinued yet, as the Sigma Global website is suggesting.

Although chances are it may be discontinued soon in practical terms, anyway. Let's see if there are any clues about Sigma's plans for the near future in tomorrow's online presantation.

Meanwhile, I guess there may still be some unsold specimen somewhere in some dealer's stock, even though B&H and such have declared it discontinued. Plus the odd used ones. Not all of them may be findable via eBay, though. I found mine (new) in a brick&mortar shop with little or no eBay presence. Although it was a few years ago, the SDQHs were few and far between even then.

Good luck with the hunt for those looking for one.

victorgv
victorgv Senior Member • Posts: 1,993

eFilm wrote:

Ceistinne wrote:

Either that, or just a chicken-egg dilemma of logistics.

Most dealers have sold out their stock and getting more units would mean a special order from Japan and the factory directly. Which would mean a long delivery time to fulfil a small handful of orders at best, without getting any bulk discounts, so they won't bother. They'll focus on selling the more popular gear.

On the other hand, unless Sigma have unsold stock at hand, they're not likely to allocate resources for a small production run with just a small handful of orders, at least without a considerable delivery time.

As a result, the dealers are marking it as discontinued, even though the camera isn't officially discontinued yet, as the Sigma Global website is suggesting.

Although chances are it may be discontinued soon in practical terms, anyway. Let's see if there are any clues about Sigma's plans for the near future in tomorrow's online presantation.

Meanwhile, I guess there may still be some unsold specimen somewhere in some dealer's stock, even though B&H and such have declared it discontinued. Plus the odd used ones. Not all of them may be findable via eBay, though. I found mine (new) in a brick&mortar shop with little or no eBay presence. Although it was a few years ago, the SDQHs were few and far between even then.

Good luck with the hunt for those looking for one.

I guess price for my H just went up Thou i am not planing on selling it.

victorgv's gear list:victorgv's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma sd Quattro H
Notomb
Notomb Regular Member • Posts: 141

All Quattro (SD/DP) are running out.

Sa lens stop end 2018 when launch L mount.

Notomb's gear list:Notomb's gear list
Sigma sd Quattro Panasonic S1 Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM | C +6 more
Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 16,007

FDecker wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

FDecker wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up!

Ummm . . . I'm pretty sure they just ran out of stock, and since Sigma probably never runs a second production run of a camera, when they run out, that means the camera is discontinued. I wonder how long it will be until the SD Quattro is "discontinued" too.

As far as the SA mount lenses, I'm pretty sure they have stopped producing those too. Why else would ALL the EX macro lenses be unavailable/gone? Many of the SA mount lenses are gone now. There are plenty of Nikon and Canon mount lenses though. Looking at DSLR lenses on Adorama, there are 88 in Sigma SA mount, and 149 in Canon EF mount. The 105mm f2.8 OS EX macro lens is available in Canon EF mount and Nikon F mount, but none in Sigma SA mount, even though the new 105mm f2.8 Macro is available in L mount and E mount.

Sigma's 85mm f1.4 EX is still available (probably they made more than they should have), even though the replacement for it, the 85mm f1.4 Art is also available. The macros have all been bought up though . . . except the newest, 70mm f2.8 Art macro. (This is referring to just the SA mount lenses - no the L mount lenses and other lenses.)

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +26 more
Roger Senior Member • Posts: 2,737
Why are you Surprised

Greetings Sigma people the ones that are left. This should come as no surprise. It's hard times for the camera companies. Sigma is small and they have to do what they have to do to survive. From what I understand the only Sigma cameras at this time is the FP with a Bayer sensor. I do understand the FF Foveon will be home made if produced. The big question is why does the new Sony look so much like the Sigma FP? With a grip, viewfinder? Will Sigma keep the Foveon, or sell it off? The SA mount was discontinue a while ago and Sigma was into the E mount so it makes one wonder where Sigma is headed, and who with? Now before you burn me, remember I've been working/shooting with Sigma sense the 1970's. As camera sales fall so does lenses sales. As for me I have enough gear for the next 20 years and that would make me 90 years old, get the idea?

Lets hope we see the FF Foveon in a FP body with a grip, viewfinder, tilt screen not rotate, with interchangeable parts, and a SA mount adapter sooner than later.

The industry has changed, Nikon is shutting down and moving from Japan, Companies charge for their Pro programs, meaning if you pay them enough they'll say your a pro. It didn't happen that way years ago. I'm putting my NPS into retirement, and my Minolta MPS as with some income was gone in 2004 when Sony took over, oh well.

Lets stay hopefully be Safe

Roger J.

eFilm Senior Member • Posts: 2,033
No One Is Surprised

Roger wrote:

Greetings Sigma people the ones that are left. This should come as no surprise.

It doesn't come as a surprise, obviously, but that's beside the point. The discontinuation of the SDQ line using the SA-mount is indeed only a matter of time. However, it's not yet quite clear whether the SDQH has been officially discontinued by Sigma or has it been merely 'projected' as discontinued by a major dealer, as they do in mainstream media news these days. Hence the slight confusion in the thread.

Sure, the difference may be subtle in practical terms at this point but still, the camera has not been moved to the discontinued models list yet. They might do that after today's presentation, though, or they likely will as soon as the fate of the next generation SD camera line has been confirmed.

Whilst the SDQH is technically a mirrorless camera (and a niche model at that), it is still using a legacy dSLR mount. Because of that it was an interim model fron the start, and as such it's already doing overtime, due to the delay of the next generation model. As we've established, the fp is no substitute for the Foveon sensor models. Nonetheless, Sigma have moved on from the dSLR mount ever since they joined the L-mount alliance.

Meanwhile, even though the SA-mount is considered 'legacy' these days the system is still fully functional and can deliver good images, alongside the newer Bayer model(s), and will carry on doing so even when the next generation Foveon model comes. Which still might take a while.

Perspicacious New Member • Posts: 1

The following is the answer I received from Sigma USA when I inquired about the reason the Quattro H was discontinued.

"Thank you for contacting Sigma USA. Unfortunately we did not get an explanation from Japan."

saltydogstudios
saltydogstudios Senior Member • Posts: 2,386

Scottelly wrote:

FDecker wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

FDecker wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up!

Ummm . . . I'm pretty sure they just ran out of stock, and since Sigma probably never runs a second production run of a camera, when they run out, that means the camera is discontinued. I wonder how long it will be until the SD Quattro is "discontinued" too.

Yes - this is a shame as i think an Quattro-H in L Mount would have been a relative success. (I would have bought one.)

Too bad they ran out of chips / all the chips were committed to SD mount or dp bodies.

I do love the Quattro for certain situations - but not enough to invest in a whole new mount - and I would have LOVED to see what it could do in monochrome on my Leica M Mount lenses.

As far as the SA mount lenses, I'm pretty sure they have stopped producing those too. Why else would ALL the EX macro lenses be unavailable/gone? Many of the SA mount lenses are gone now. There are plenty of Nikon and Canon mount lenses though. Looking at DSLR lenses on Adorama, there are 88 in Sigma SA mount, and 149 in Canon EF mount. The 105mm f2.8 OS EX macro lens is available in Canon EF mount and Nikon F mount, but none in Sigma SA mount, even though the new 105mm f2.8 Macro is available in L mount and E mount.

Sigma's 85mm f1.4 EX is still available (probably they made more than they should have), even though the replacement for it, the 85mm f1.4 Art is also available. The macros have all been bought up though . . . except the newest, 70mm f2.8 Art macro. (This is referring to just the SA mount lenses - no the L mount lenses and other lenses.)

-- hide signature --

"no one should have a camera that can't play Candy Crush Saga."
Camera JPG Portrait Shootout: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4492044
Great Cinematography: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4498434
Blog: http://sodium.nyc/blog/
Sometimes I take photos: https://www.instagram.com/sodiumstudio/

saltydogstudios's gear list:saltydogstudios's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Sigma DP2s Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp3 Quattro +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads