Cash in my x100s & XT20 (with 18-55,27mm) for x100f???

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
jspeakman Forum Member • Posts: 55
Cash in my x100s & XT20 (with 18-55,27mm) for x100f???

Am I mad? Surely that is the perfect combo for flexibility and portability.  I have had the x100s for a while, love it but , irritated with its well known limitations, pretty sluggish autofocus particularly for video, no image stabilisation, distinctly average occasional video use, missed some great longer range shots with its fixed lens etc. So expensive trip to Italy Summer 2019 prompted XT20 plus 18-55mm and 27mm pancake. Perfect and it took great shots of Herculaneum, Positano etc, video was quite adequate - wonderful.  Since when it has been left unused.  I go out walking every day with my dog and always take the x100s. It's discreet, light, takes great shots (family, street, landscape, the beach) and it's sexy (yes, I am deeply, deeply shallow).  I could take the XT20/27mm but I don't - why would you when you've got the x100s.

I can see me using the XT20 more often maybe when life gets back to some degree of normality. Family events, concerts (remember them?), special trips - it's possible.  Its relative bulk with the zoom lens I think is always the limiting factor and I really do prefer the form factor of the 100s .  So sell the lot and get a younger model x100F (can't afford the V) with faster autofocus, decent digital zoom(?).

I really wonder if in the end this is just a mid camera crisis and I would regret getting rid of the xt20. I should really learn to appreciate what I've got which is pretty good anyway. I would be very grateful for your thoughts.

Thanks

Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-T20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
RobOkie Junior Member • Posts: 46
Re: Cash in my x100s & XT20 (with 18-55,27mm) for x100f???

I also struggle with Trade GAS concerning keeping or trading my x100s or the xt-10.

As you mentioned the slow shutter response time for the x100s also I dislike that it doesn't have wifi.   I'm forever swapping sd cards for this.

Yet since covid, I've spent a lot of time re-reading the manuals for these 2 plus the xpro1, getting reacquainted and becoming more familiar with them.  Te result is a renewed appreciation for them.

I've decided to keep them and buy some more lenses.

RobOkie's gear list:RobOkie's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-Pro1
normanthecorgi
normanthecorgi Junior Member • Posts: 25

It sounds like you like (as opposed to disliking) both cameras with the only exception that the focus is permanently problematic with the 100s.

Perhaps Consider going to Lensrentals.com and rent a 100f or 100v for a week or two and see if that provides a  definitive answer to making it worthwhile to sell what you already have or keep?  Yeah, its a 100$ for the week long rental try-out but in the long run it could be the cheapest and quickest answer your question whether to keep what you have or move on.

I have found my 100t and xpro1 w/15~45 combo to be the  solution as to which camera to use based on what i am doing or where i am going to take pictures - kind of like having a pickup truck and regular sedan = a vehicle for any situation

good luck and let us know what worked out best for you,

john s.

normanthecorgi's gear list:normanthecorgi's gear list
Ricoh Theta V
EOS GUY
EOS GUY Senior Member • Posts: 4,420

jspeakman wrote:

Am I mad?

Maybe

Surely that is the perfect combo for flexibility and portability. I have had the x100s for a while, love it but , irritated with its well known limitations, pretty sluggish autofocus particularly for video, no image stabilisation, distinctly average occasional video use, missed some great longer range shots with its fixed lens etc. So expensive trip to Italy Summer 2019 prompted XT20 plus 18-55mm and 27mm pancake. Perfect and it took great shots of Herculaneum, Positano etc, video was quite adequate - wonderful. Since when it has been left unused. I go out walking every day with my dog and always take the x100s. It's discreet, light, takes great shots (family, street, landscape, the beach) and it's sexy (yes, I am deeply, deeply shallow). I could take the XT20/27mm but I don't - why would you when you've got the x100s.

I can see me using the XT20 more often maybe when life gets back to some degree of normality. Family events, concerts (remember them?), special trips - it's possible. Its relative bulk with the zoom lens I think is always the limiting factor and I really do prefer the form factor of the 100s . So sell the lot and get a younger model x100F (can't afford the V) with faster autofocus, decent digital zoom(?).

I really wonder if in the end this is just a mid camera crisis and I would regret getting rid of the xt20. I should really learn to appreciate what I've got which is pretty good anyway. I would be very grateful for your thoughts.

Sounds like that 100%

FWIW I had the X-100 T and the difference in operation speed and AF speed from the S is massive and they do not cost much now and the IQ is the same excellent.

For all the new sensor and new lens in the X-100 V etc we all know unless you want to print bigger than 30x40 inches at very good quality, you don't need 24mp, rarely need to shoot over ISO 6400 (the X-100 T is ace up to that but not great beyond it) and hey the lens may be sharper but just use a smart sharpen or equivalent in post and you MAY see a difference pixel peeping at 200% afterwards.... you don't really need to change.... unless you crave the WR or LCD screen or some other functions....

You may miss your zoom also

People often wonder why I have a 23mm F2 and an 18-55 F2.8-4 for my X-T2 as they overlap

I use only the 23mm F2 for street and doc as it is light and small and is my 100% loved and preferred focal length so no need for anything else ever. This is my favourite form of photography and if a genie from a bottle made me choose for life, the one I would choose

BUT I also like you love to travel and do slow, well thought out shots of interesting places on my travels to put on my website which doesn't exist yet and sell some day and try to get up in cafes / restaurant walls etc and for that I might want WA / midrange / or slight telephoto out of necessity or aesthetic reasons and for this I pop on the 18-55 F2.8-4 as it is also small and light and has stellar IQ (and I'm too cheap to pop for the 16-55 F2.8 ha ha)

-- hide signature --

My Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/photonicstreetdreams/
The earth laughs in flowers.
-Ralph Waldo Emmerson
Before you say (or post in our context) = THINK.
Is what you're going to say - True. Helpful. Important (or Inspiring.) Necessary. Kind.
I have G.A.S, - gear avoidance syndrome.

EOS GUY's gear list:EOS GUY's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Fujifilm X-T2 Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +6 more
OP jspeakman Forum Member • Posts: 55

Thanks so much for helpful advice.  Unfortunately I don't think I can rent an x100F to try here in UK. What I would appreciate any comments on is how good is digital zoom on 100F say to cropping equivalent with lower megapixel x100S.   This might obviate the need to keep the XT20 with 18-55zoom which does obviously provide much better results than cropping the X100s.

Thanks

uniball Senior Member • Posts: 2,594

Last multiple Fuji kit I had was an XP1, an XE2, a dozen lenses and an X100T. I now have an X100V. I’m extremely pleased with it. After all of them except the F, the best X100 so far. 
I do still have an ILC kit for travel, m43. It’s dedicated to the USA west. Otherwise X100’s have always worked for my travel. It just took me a while to understand it’s all I needed for the vast majority of my photography.

biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,702

Seems like you bought a camera and two lenses, used on a trip one and a half years ago, and then parked it.

If you don't use it, sell it before it's used value goes down even more.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Carl Zeiss C Sonnar T* 1,5/50 ZM +1 more
Flying Fijian Contributing Member • Posts: 834

If you can wait a bit longer & save up a bit more, get the X100V (hopefully it drops in price too) ...you won't miss the zoom then as this will give you digital zoom with raw file. It's a big upgrade especially over your x100s & even the x100f.

Good luck

Flying Fijian's gear list:Flying Fijian's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +6 more
EOS GUY

Bolothegreat wrote:

If you can wait a bit longer & save up a bit more, get the X100V (hopefully it drops in price too) ...you won't miss the zoom then as this will give you digital zoom with raw file. It's a big upgrade especially over your x100s & even the x100f.

Good luck

He might miss the zoom. 35mm is my go to but always nice to have the 18-55 or LX100 for traveling

-- hide signature --

-Ralph Waldo Emmerson
Is what you're going to say - True. Helpful. Important (or Inspiring.) Necessary. Kind.

Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Fujifilm X-T2 Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +6 more

EOS GUY wrote:

Bolothegreat wrote:

Good luck

He might miss the zoom. 35mm is my go to but always nice to have the 18-55 or LX100 for traveling

Maybe but he hasn't used it for quite a while & is asking about digital zoom...this works great on the new X100V has you can still shoot raw. Iit's convenient to zoom using the focus ring basically giving you 35, 50 & 70mm equivalent focal lengths.

You can also get the wcl & tcl converters later if you really want those...so really up to OP & what he wants to do. As they say the best camera is the one you have with you.

Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +6 more
D_Gunman
D_Gunman Regular Member • Posts: 229

My philosophy is this: the worst camera is the one left unused. If the XT20 is left unused on the shelf, sell it. Don't even listen to anyone but yourself. From the sound of it, you have already discovered true enjoyment of using the X100s but frustrated with its limitation. For me that's a good sign for an upgrade.

D_Gunman's gear list:D_Gunman's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm X100S Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
EOS GUY

Bolothegreat wrote:

EOS GUY wrote:

Bolothegreat wrote:

Good luck

Maybe but he hasn't used it for quite a while & is asking about digital zoom...this works great on the new X100V has you can still shoot raw. Iit's convenient to zoom using the focus ring basically giving you 35, 50 & 70mm equivalent focal lengths.

Because he hasn't travelled for a long time.

When he does again he may like me want a 35mm for his main camera but always have a zoom in the bag for when it's not wide enough or long enough.

I bought a 10-18mm just for the Colosseum when i was in Rome and sold it a week later.

You never know.....

You can also get the wcl & tcl converters later if you really want those...

You can, the WCL is nice I had it, the TCL is not so nice though, very front heavy

so really up to OP & what he wants to do.

Who ever said it wasn't?

As they say the best camera is the one you have with you.

Yeah quite the cliche that one has become.  Who started it again?

How about 'the best cameras are the ones you have with you?'

When I travel the best cameras I have with me are the X-T2 and 23mm F2 for main photography (I would be fine with an X-100 model and used to be and used one for a long time but now I simply need and enjoy a larger VF), the 18-55 in the bag for slow travel shots for website and sales I always take alongside my main stuff as I might want to punch in on details or get a church in shot or a wide crowd shot etc.

Then the LX100 for if going out socially at night and want cheap small and light and fit in a pocket or barely notice if round my neck.

Whole 4 pieces cost me under £1k total and weigh aprox 1.5kg

The best camera or cameras you have on you is / are the one(s) that suit your needs.

It's a great slogan though and has got a lot of traction the one above though

-- hide signature --

-Ralph Waldo Emmerson

Spot on observation. So I slapped on the 27mm on to the XT 20. Just as portable as the x100s. Not quite as sexy but still quite a looker. I could live with this although noisy lens for occasional video. But the stabilised 18-55 is very good for video and really handy for events, travel etc. I guess with lockdown virtually the whole year here in UK not much of that which partly explains why it’s been on the shelf. The  x100s has been such a great walk around camera but it does have its frustrating limitations. Sooo... want a treat - it’s been a sod of a year. Would the x100f work as only camera - could the digital zoom compensate for the 18-55? Can’t afford the V or keep the xt20 as well as x100F. Beginning to think I can’t really better the combo I’ve got.  So no treat then - b....,.r! Really appreciate all your kind comments and advice.

jspeakman wrote:

Spot on observation. So I slapped on the 27mm on to the XT 20. Just as portable as the x100s. Not quite as sexy but still quite a looker. I could live with this although noisy lens for occasional video. But the stabilised 18-55 is very good for video and really handy for events, travel etc. I guess with lockdown virtually the whole year here in UK not much of that which partly explains why it’s been on the shelf. The x100s has been such a great walk around camera but it does have its frustrating limitations. Sooo... want a treat - it’s been a sod of a year. Would the x100f work as only camera - could the digital zoom compensate for the 18-55? Can’t afford the V or keep the xt20 as well as x100F. Beginning to think I can’t really better the combo I’ve got. So no treat then - b....,.r! Really appreciate all your kind comments and advice.

Hahaha that's a wise decision lol enjoy what you got!

EOS GUY

jspeakman wrote:

Spot on observation. So I slapped on the 27mm on to the XT 20. Just as portable as the x100s. Not quite as sexy but still quite a looker. I could live with this although noisy lens for occasional video. But the stabilised 18-55 is very good for video and really handy for events, travel etc. I guess with lockdown virtually the whole year here in UK not much of that which partly explains why it’s been on the shelf. The x100s has been such a great walk around camera but it does have its frustrating limitations. Sooo... want a treat - it’s been a sod of a year. Would the x100f work as only camera - could the digital zoom compensate for the 18-55?

Course not it's just a crop mode, doesn't change perspective or background foreground relationship like a zoom lens and you'd need the WCL an additional £250 for wider angle....

Can’t afford the V or keep the xt20 as well as x100F. Beginning to think I can’t really better the combo I’ve got. So no treat then - b....,.r! Really appreciate all your kind comments and advice.

Sounds like you're just bored. I have an X-T2 and 23mm F2. Yesterday I convinced myself I needed and RX1 R for about two hours before I got over it ha ha. Few weeks ago I convinced myself I needed a GR II, then I realised I rarely use 28mm lol and was just bored....

Anyhow seen the news lately? Looks like end of March, possibly April we'll be travelling in the UK again, few months after that international (fingers crossed, God willing) travel

Maybe treat yourself to saving up for a good trip the photos will last forever and look the same pretty much at 23mm on the 18-55!

I can;t say I didn't love my X-100 T though for street and doc but I still kept an ILC for travel

Go and take some photos and stop going on websites

-- hide signature --

-Ralph Waldo Emmerson

Fair play👍🙂

wilberforce_1 Forum Member • Posts: 90

I traded in a X100S for a X100F, and not sure it was really worth it.

There are a few disadvantages to the X100F: the position of the Q button is pretty annoying.

The X100F is vulnerable to viewfinder curtain failure - I have to cover the front of my viewfinder with gaffer tape to use the EVF.

btw, I think the digital zoom is a bit of a gimmick - not very good. Never use it.

There are a lot of pros to the X100F, but just thought I would point out some of the cons. The X100S is still a fine camera.

Edit: meant to reply to OP, not EOSGUY

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads