Need advice on camera with lenses for aquarium/terrarium filming

Started Feb 22, 2021 | Discussions
FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 17,366
Re: Need advice on camera with lenses for aquarium/terrarium filming

Bodkins Best Photography wrote:

I'd suggest a D750 and Nikon f/2.8 105mm. It'll get you excellent dynamic range (low light performance) and extremely close to your subject. Fits in your price range.

I assumed, as others have , that by :

"I assume 4k is a given these days for that extra level of detail"

the OP meant that he intends to shoot video on 4K but that it is now a given (that all cameras can do that...)

Of course I could be wrong but the OP could set that right.

The D750 does not record video on 4k.

BTW if the OP is shooting amphibians inside a small tank, a wide angle lens that can focus close could be better. Again I would check with folk that shoot in an identical set up.

AM77 Forum Member • Posts: 80

FrancoD wrote:

AM77 wrote:

FrancoD wrote:

AM77 wrote:

First I would advice to understand if you'd prefer rangefinder body style or DSLR style. This helps you on first big filtering.

What is a rangefinder body style ?

For example:

Sony A6xxx series.

Panasonic GX series

Etc etc..

Those are mirrorless cameras, nothing to do with rangefinder.

This is a digital rangefinder camera

You have to be careful reading:

"..body style"

I never wrote they are rangefinder.

PhotoTeach2 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,468

Bodkins Best Photography wrote:

Mieszko wrote:

Thanks for the input guys. Budget wise I guess I could go all the way to 2500 dollars if I am sold on a particular device for my particular usage.

I have read a bit on the different camera systems in here but I havent and dont have many opportunities to try them out now either so I will have to take a chance eventually.

Perhaps I am looking for you experienced users to recommend a few systems for me under 2500 dollars including lenses for my usage. It can be a lot cheaper aswell if you think I wont notice too much difference as a beginner in my work.

Thanks

I'd suggest a D750 and Nikon f/2.8 105mm. It'll get you excellent dynamic range (low light performance) and extremely close to your subject. Fits in your price range.

That would have a very narrow/shallow DOF and no 4K video (which he specified he desired).

A smaller sensor will give deeper DOF (m4/3, 1"-type, 1/2..3")

AM77 wrote:

FrancoD wrote:

AM77 wrote:

FrancoD wrote:

AM77 wrote:

First I would advice to understand if you'd prefer rangefinder body style or DSLR style. This helps you on first big filtering.

For example:

Sony A6xxx series.

Panasonic GX series

Etc etc..

"..body style"

maybe you should be more careful about the terms you use. Rangefinder body style isn't exactly the most common way to refer to the mirrorless cameras and possibly not one a beginner would understand. ( I didn't...)

And, BTW, why does your choice exclude bridge cameras ?

It is possible that a 1" sensor type, like the Sony RX or Panasonic 1000 series could do the job easier that some DSLRs or Mirrorless so eliminating those may not be the best choice.

AM77 Forum Member • Posts: 80

FrancoD wrote:

AM77 wrote:

FrancoD wrote:

AM77 wrote:

FrancoD wrote:

AM77 wrote:

For example:

Sony A6xxx series.

Panasonic GX series

Etc etc..

"..body style"

maybe you should be more careful about the terms you use. Rangefinder body style isn't exactly the most common way to refer to the mirrorless cameras and possibly not one a beginner would understand. ( I didn't...)

And, BTW, why does your choice exclude bridge cameras ?

It is possible that a 1" sensor type, like the Sony RX or Panasonic 1000 series could do the job easier that some DSLRs or Mirrorless so eliminating those may not be the best choice.

Sorry but you are misleading other readers.

Rangefinder is not a synonym of ML  and I didn't not use it as synonym at all.

Rangefinder BODY STYLE is a typology of ML. It is pretty obvious that DSLRs have...DSLR body style. Not?

Since the beginning my underlying was on the style of body. So the focus is on the body: layout and vf location. Is that clear now? You as well beginners  within this site can go to camera feature search, you'll see the 2 typologies.

Bridge cameras are basically for fun. Acceptable in good light. If you want to "play in Major League" , it's another story.

(Panasonic bridge fz1000 for video is very good, though)

OP Mieszko New Member • Posts: 6

Would the Panasonic LUMIX S5 + 20-60mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens be good for my type of work? I have heard the autofocus is not good but perhaps good enough

alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 17,569

Auto focus of Panasonic, if not for tracking purpose, it is as fast as any brand. For your sort 9f shooting it should be fine.

The only draw back is the lens is not really that fast. That lens is great for outdoor, a multi purpose lens. But under low lighting indoor you would have to use higher ISO easily which might have noise problem. Might look for a fastest lens, e.g. the 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, or the 24~70mm f/2.8 which might be better for your usage.

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please forgive my typo error.
** Please feel free to download the original image I posted here and edit it as you like **

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +11 more

Mieszko wrote:

Would the Panasonic LUMIX S5 + 20-60mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens be good for my type of work? I have heard the autofocus is not good but perhaps good enough

What distance do you intend to be shooting, and what size subject do you plan (MACRO?) ???

From macro shots or there around to about 1 meter/ meter and a half away from the subject, since amphibians arent that big or to get a view of the terrarium/pond they are in.

Can I do this with one lense only?

Mieszko wrote:

From macro shots or there around to about 1 meter/ meter and a half away from the subject, since amphibians arent that big or to get a view of the terrarium/pond they are in.

Yes ... a "macro" lens can still focus at infinity (as any lens), but the added advantage that it can get much closer than ordinary lenses.

BUT ... there are two different versions of "macro" lenses, some are called macro but simply focus "closer" (allowing a Field-Of-View (FOV) of around 4", but a TRUE "MACRO" lens can get close enough for a 1:1 image, (about 1" FOV).

You may also like these images ... using FOCUS "STACKING" techniques ...

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/75884-focus-stacking-with-lumix-dmc-fz1000/

dlevitt Senior Member • Posts: 1,104

Mieszko wrote:

You should be able to do this kind of shooting with a bridge camera - I have done this with my ancient Panasonic FZ-50 bridge camera.

For interchangeable lens cameras, I would look at the available lenses, before selecting a system.

Suitable 'full frame' lenses may not leave much in you budget for the camera body.

Applying my research [and prejudice ] I would recommend one of two options:

* A FZ1000 mark 2  bridge camera, supplemented by an add on close up lens [less than $1000]

* Micro 4/3 body, 'pro' grade zoom, and macro lens [about $2000 for the fanciest options]

A fancy [and weather sealed] kit might include

• Panasonic G9 body
  • Panasonic/Leica 12-60 f/2.8-4 zoom 
  • Olympus 60mm f/2.8 Macro

Currently, the Panasonic G9, Olympus OMD EM5 mark3 or EM1 mark 2 bodies are selling for about the same price.

The 'Pro' level normal range zooms [Panasonic 12-35 & 12-60; Olympus 12-40 & 12-45] are not true 1:1 macro, but will focus quite closely. [about one third life size]. You may find little need for a dedicated macro lens, unless your subjects are quite small.

-- hide signature --

Save the Earth! Collect the entire set!

dlevitt's gear list:dlevitt's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +6 more
BBbuilder467 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,288

Mieszko wrote:

It might be possible to do everything with one lens, but your distances vary drastically, and you don't say how large the subjects are. If there is glass between the camera and subject, it changes the distance. It's all I can do to get close enough to a live frog at 50mm. It doesn't come close to filling the frame when they are roughly the size of an egg.

If the subjects are confined to an area about the size of a bathtub, a short zoom might work, but I think you need much longer focal lengths from a meter or more. Some long telephoto lenses won't focus at less than 1 meter, and you measure the distance from the camera body, not the  lens. You have to account for that with live subjects.

PhotoTeach2 wrote:

Mieszko wrote:

Yes ... a "macro" lens can still focus at infinity (as any lens), but the added advantage that it can get much closer than ordinary lenses.

BUT ... there are two different versions of "macro" lenses, some are called macro but simply focus "closer" (allowing a Field-Of-View (FOV) of around 4", but a TRUE "MACRO" lens can get close enough for a 1:1 image, (about 1" FOV).

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/75884-focus-stacking-with-lumix-dmc-fz1000/

how do you photo stack images of live animals ?

BBbuilder467 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,288

FrancoD wrote:

PhotoTeach2 wrote:

Mieszko wrote:

Frogs, toads and snakes can be motionless for minutes at a time. I've done long exposures to even notice they were breathing. With in-camera focus stacking, it should be easy, if you had any reason to do it.

SaraDavis
SaraDavis New Member • Posts: 2

Yes, was going to also recommend the Panasonic S5.

Thanks!

FrancoD wrote:

PhotoTeach2 wrote:

Mieszko wrote:

Tell em to "Watch The Birdie" ??? (just thought they were nice images he could consider w/ appropriate subjects -- I suggest they are quite incredible images from such a low-priced camera that has options/features few others have)

SaraDavis wrote:

Yes, was going to also recommend the Panasonic S5.

But ANY camera can work, (with the appropriate lens).

I am just not sure FF is best with its inherent narrow/shallow DOF, (and is more expensive than necessary).

A deeper/wider inherent DOF of a smaller sensor may be better for that specific application unless he needs larger print sizes.

Thus 1/2.3" gives widest DOF, but I do NOT recommend going that small, and thus recommend 1"-type camera WITH FOCUS STACKING that may be usable for what he intends.

I am impressed by these images ...

PhotoTeach2 wrote:

You are impressed and so am I but I wonder what the expert that posted this comment : Bridge cameras are basically for fun. Acceptable in good light. If you want to "play in Major League" , it's another story.

thinks of them.

FrancoD wrote:

PhotoTeach2 wrote:

You are impressed and so am I but I wonder what the expert that posted this comment : Bridge cameras are basically for fun. Acceptable in good light. If you want to "play in Major League" , it's another story.

thank

There is no argument that larger (aka FF/MF) sensors are capable of higher ISO (lower-exposure) w/ lower noise.

There are also some 1/2.3" tele-zooms that would indeed be low-light limited w/ small lens apertures at their max-tele, (which is probably the specific reason they were bought).

But the RX10-IV has a f/2.4-4, the FZ-1000 a f/2.8-4, which is faster than most "kit" lenses. Thus only limited by which each person deems an acceptable ISO.

To somewhat assist in lower light, I think both of the above camera have a built-in (NIGHT-shot) "stacking" mode for lower-light, (which I have never even needed to use).

Also the FZ-1000 has a low-light AF capability to -4EV (lower than full-moon light).

So I suggest it is all relative, and very disingenious to suggest it is only "acceptabe in good light".

As for "FUN" ... he is totally correct since their speed-convenience & versatility w/ their additional options & featues can indeed be "fun".  But isn't photography supposed to be "fun"?

These are SOOC w/ NO Noise-Reduction, (or other PP) ...

1.5 MILES away

Full-MOON LIGHT ...

Thanks for the input guys. I have pretty much decided upon getting the fuji xs10 as its a fair price point with features I think I will enjoy.

The lenses I am considering are the big and beautiful fujifilm xf80mm f/2.8 macro and the versatile fuji 16mm 1.4.

What do you guys think is better for work around smaller amphibians around ponds, aquariums etc?

I am getting closer guys, bear with me!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads