23mm vs 27mm bokeh/DOF difference ?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
bibop83
bibop83 Regular Member • Posts: 300
23mm vs 27mm bokeh/DOF difference ?

Hi everybody,

Now that the 27mm has WR and AR its form factor is really appealing.

I already have the 23mm f2 and really like it so far. Only complain could be that i would like it to be a pancake for street photography.

I especially like the f2 aperture as I somehow get nice separation (for a 23mm) that gives a bit of a 3d feeling to the picture. Ok, its not comparable to my 50mm or the f1.4 version but its ok for my taste.

I was wondering if I would loose this bokeh if I would switch to the 27mm as its f2.8 max. But considering it's slightliy longer I wonder if that compensate  ?

Some of you got example of 23 vs 27 at max aperture  on both ?

Thanks a lot  !

Theo

bibop83's gear list:bibop83's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Samyang AF 35mm F2.8 FE
JayPhizzt Senior Member • Posts: 1,925
Re: 23mm vs 27mm bokeh/DOF difference ?

There isn't going to be a big difference in DoF between the two. In terms of appearance I don't know which has the nicest bokeh, but that is of course something quite subjective.

JayPhizzt's gear list:JayPhizzt's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 Macro +1 more
io_bg
io_bg Senior Member • Posts: 1,174

The 23mm wide open will still have an advantage when it comes to shallow DOF - although neither lens is a good choice for this, honestly.

Here are some samples I've taken over the years with the 27mm - some show the bokeh produced by the lens.

-- hide signature --

Best,
Yoan

io_bg's gear list:io_bg's gear list
Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 II +7 more
Don Davis
Don Davis Contributing Member • Posts: 794

io_bg wrote:

The 23mm wide open will still have an advantage when it comes to shallow DOF - although neither lens is a good choice for this, honestly.

Here are some samples I've taken over the years with the 27mm - some show the bokeh produced by the lens.

Some really nice images there - thanks for sharing.

Don

Don Davis's gear list:Don Davis's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X100V Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-T2
DarnGoodPhotos Forum Pro • Posts: 10,762

Set your 23 to f2.8 for an idea of what to expect.

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

DarnGoodPhotos's gear list:DarnGoodPhotos's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +2 more
Gimmorkus Junior Member • Posts: 34

is the 27mm sharper wide open compared to the 23mm f2? I have the 23 and the close up image quality is pretty bad up until 4-5.6.

jjz2 Senior Member • Posts: 2,933

bibop83 wrote:

Hi everybody,

I already have the 23mm f2 and really like it so far. Only complain could be that i would like it to be a pancake for street photography.

I especially like the f2 aperture as I somehow get nice separation (for a 23mm) that gives a bit of a 3d feeling to the picture. Ok, its not comparable to my 50mm or the f1.4 version but its ok for my taste.

I was wondering if I would loose this bokeh if I would switch to the 27mm as its f2.8 max. But considering it's slightliy longer I wonder if that compensate ?

Some of you got example of 23 vs 27 at max aperture on both ?

Thanks a lot !

Theo

23 has better bokeh. 27 has similar dof due to longer focal length. 27 bokeh can sometimes be nervous on certain scenes. Just use a dof calculator.

I have both.

27 is better for pics of people due to longer focal length also. 23mm is more like a 21-22mm lens, wider than the 23 1.4.

35 f2 and 35 1.4 even better for people, have the 1.4.

jjz2's gear list:jjz2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more
EOS GUY
EOS GUY Senior Member • Posts: 4,386

Why does it need to be a pancake for street photography?

I do street with the 23mm F2

I used to use a D5300 and Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HS

I've never found size of camera to make any difference to shooting street whatsoever

What difference would either of these make?

https://camerasize.com/compact/#679.596,679.963,ha,t

I think using the focal length you love the most is the most important thing

-- hide signature --

My Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/photonicstreetdreams/
The earth laughs in flowers.
-Ralph Waldo Emmerson
Before you say (or post in our context) = THINK.
Is what you're going to say - True. Helpful. Important (or Inspiring.) Necessary. Kind.
I have G.A.S, - gear avoidance syndrome.

EOS GUY's gear list:EOS GUY's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +6 more
jjz2 Senior Member • Posts: 2,933

EOS GUY wrote:

Why does it need to be a pancake for street photography?

I do street with the 23mm F2

I used to use a D5300 and Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HS

I've never found size of camera to make any difference to shooting street whatsoever

What difference would either of these make?

https://camerasize.com/compact/#679.596,679.963,ha,t

I think using the focal length you love the most is the most important thing

One goes in most jacket pockets and the other doesnt.

Depending on what city you are in it makes a big difference.

I carried a 28-300 in london, no problem. I wouldn’t want to carry that in say, Rabat, morocco though.

for me the 27 is an alternate lens, something I can throw in my jacket pocket when I’m not planning on shooting.

if I’m bringing camera bag I usually have both the 23 f2 and 35 1.4 for street.

jjz2's gear list:jjz2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more
EOS GUY

Those are some big pockets!

But I understand what you mean.

cheers

-Ralph Waldo Emmerson
Is what you're going to say - True. Helpful. Important (or Inspiring.) Necessary. Kind.

Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +6 more
Ken Prager Regular Member • Posts: 329

That's an excellent gallery.

I pre-ordered the X-E4 with the 27mm Mark II and your gallery is inspiring!

Were these from RAW of jpeg? Did you do much post processing?

Flying Fijian Contributing Member • Posts: 770

bibop83 wrote:

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if I would loose this bokeh if I would switch to the 27mm as its f2.8 max. But considering it's slightliy longer I wonder if that compensate ?

Thanks a lot !

Theo

The main reason to change would be if you want the 27mm focal length...otherwise it's not really worth the hassle of changing as you already have the 23mm...if anything you're losing out with the f2.8.

Flying Fijian's gear list:Flying Fijian's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
astonehouse
astonehouse Regular Member • Posts: 301

bibop83 wrote:

Hi everybody,

Thanks a lot !

Theo

I have owned both, sold my original 27mm to get the 23mm f2. The 27mm gave me sharper images, most notably up close but it's lack of AR and noisy focus motor bugged me. The 23mm f2 solved that but it's soft images up close at f2 bugged me, so I bought the 23mm f1.4.

Not sure the weight difference between the 23mm f2 and 27mm are worth it; think the biggest difference is the 27mm is sharper and the 23mm f2 has much quieter/faster autofocus.

-- hide signature --

Anthony.
instagram.com/thewanderlust_net/

astonehouse's gear list:astonehouse's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 15-45mm F3.5-5.6 OIS PZ +1 more
bibop83
OP bibop83 Regular Member • Posts: 300

Its also size difference as I bring my camera in technical climb where it often sits between my body and my outer jacket. The 23mm create a "bump" on the jacket that has the tendency to hit rocks. I shouldnt have that with a pancake lense.

I like the 35mm equiv focal lenght, 40mm is fine too. Here is why I considering changing.

bibop83's gear list:bibop83's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Samyang AF 35mm F2.8 FE
EOS GUY

bibop83 wrote:

Its also size difference as I bring my camera in technical climb where it often sits between my body and my outer jacket. The 23mm create a "bump" on the jacket that has the tendency to hit rocks. I shouldnt have that with a pancake lense.

I like the 35mm equiv focal lenght, 40mm is fine too. Here is why I considering changing.

Sounds like you should go for it!

-- hide signature --

-Ralph Waldo Emmerson

(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 728

Bolothegreat wrote:

The main reason to change would be if you want the 27mm focal length...otherwise it's not really worth the hassle of changing as you already have the 23mm...if anything you're losing out with the f2.8.

Another reason may be the size and weight, the 27 is much smaller.

Gary Barnett
Gary Barnett Contributing Member • Posts: 992

astonehouse wrote:

bibop83 wrote:

Hi everybody,

Thanks a lot !

Theo

Not sure the weight difference between the 23mm f2 and 27mm are worth it; think the biggest difference is the 27mm is sharper and the 23mm f2 has much quieter/faster autofocus.

Hmm I thought my newly bought 23mm f/2 WR is a bit noisy? I can feel it in the lens when focusing. Don't have a 27mm lens though.

Gary Barnett's gear list:Gary Barnett's gear list
Nikon Z50 Nikon Z 16-50mm F3.5-6.3 VR Nikon Z 50-250mm F4.5-6.3 VR
EOS GUY

Gary Barnett wrote:

astonehouse wrote:

bibop83 wrote:

Hi everybody,

Thanks a lot !

Theo

Not sure the weight difference between the 23mm f2 and 27mm are worth it; think the biggest difference is the 27mm is sharper and the 23mm f2 has much quieter/faster autofocus.

Hmm I thought my newly bought 23mm f/2 WR is a bit noisy? I can feel it in the lens when focusing. Don't have a 27mm lens though.

Should not be

-- hide signature --

-Ralph Waldo Emmerson

JNR
JNR Veteran Member • Posts: 4,074

I have both lenses (first edition of the 27mm, of course - optically the same). While I'm satisfied with the overall performance of the 23, I tend to avoid its use when I know that the background could be a distraction. Its bokeh can be a real issue at times. (I rarely need to shoot it wide open at close to minimum distance, so I don't share the concern about that minor sharpness complaint.)

As for rendering of the 27mm, I have no complaints at all. The bokeh from the 27mm shot wide open is terrific. You rarely see that from a pancake. I have no issue with having both these lenses - as they are very different in how they meet my shooting needs. The 27mm is a normal lens, great for environmental portraits and street / stealth shooting. The 23mm feels wider than the stated focal length and works better for low light needs, obviously.

If I had to have just one of the two it would be the 27mm because it meets more of my needs and I don't have to worry about the bokeh issue - as shown here:

27mm shot wide open

-- hide signature --

JNR

JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Phase One Capture One Pro Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +21 more
fujiian
fujiian Regular Member • Posts: 476

Gimmorkus wrote:

is the 27mm sharper wide open compared to the 23mm f2? I have the 23 and the close up image quality is pretty bad up until 4-5.6.

Yes – especially up close.

I believe the 23 has a noticeable advantage over the 27 at its sharpness "peak" (i.e. f5.6-8 and focused close to infinity). The 27 seems to be a more consistent all-rounder.

fujiian's gear list:fujiian's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads