mfinley
mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 4,963
It's quite in here - like Stonehenge

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
Gary from Seattle Veteran Member • Posts: 5,485
Re: It's quite in here - like Stonehenge

That is a really great shot, Mike. The crescent moon adds a lot to the image and makes it feel mystical.

The scene reminds me of one I saw and imaged in the early 90's at Chaco Canyon. The post sunset scene had the most spectacular blue hour - shades of magenta to yellow actually - from the Pinatubo colors. The scene was so beautiful that everyone on the park road was stopped, dumbfounded by the sky colors. Chaco was great at least back then as everyone that visited was incredibly interested in the amazing archaeology. I had several long conversations with other interested visitors as I walked the trails. It was the most magical place I've ever visited.

Above Chetro Ketl, and through the windows of it's wall was a lovely crescent moon. That is a memory I still treasure nearly 30 years later. There is a pictograph in the canyon that is thought to have recorded the supernova explosion of 1054.

That night with the incredibly clear skies, the Chaco observatory opened it's doors to the public to view the SW skies that were about the darkest in North America.

Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +5 more
JarusNZ Junior Member • Posts: 44

Great shot. I like the raven in the background also. How did you get so close?.

JarusNZ's gear list:JarusNZ's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon 1 J5 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6
clouseau
clouseau Senior Member • Posts: 1,311

Great shot, congrats!

pierre.

-- hide signature --

"Life is pain....AU CHOCOLAT!"

jhorse Veteran Member • Posts: 4,678

Great shot of an iconic site

-- hide signature --
 jhorse's gear list:jhorse's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +6 more
nordic_shooter Junior Member • Posts: 28

Great shot, well done!

nordic_shooter's gear list:nordic_shooter's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon 85mm F1.8G +6 more
mfinley
OP mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 4,963

Gary from Seattle wrote:

That is a really great shot, Mike. The crescent moon adds a lot to the image and makes it feel mystical.

The scene reminds me of one I saw and imaged in the early 90's at Chaco Canyon. The post sunset scene had the most spectacular blue hour - shades of magenta to yellow actually - from the Pinatubo colors. The scene was so beautiful that everyone on the park road was stopped, dumbfounded by the sky colors. Chaco was great at least back then as everyone that visited was incredibly interested in the amazing archaeology. I had several long conversations with other interested visitors as I walked the trails. It was the most magical place I've ever visited.

Above Chetro Ketl, and through the windows of it's wall was a lovely crescent moon. That is a memory I still treasure nearly 30 years later. There is a pictograph in the canyon that is thought to have recorded the supernova explosion of 1054.

That night with the incredibly clear skies, the Chaco observatory opened it's doors to the public to view the SW skies that were about the darkest in North America.

wow, holy cow, some great memorable experiences! I had to google Chetro Ketl, 400 rooms, wow.

-- hide signature --
mfinley
OP mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 4,963

JarusNZ wrote:

Great shot. I like the raven in the background also. How did you get so close?.

We had to book the access a year in advance, they offer a special access at sunrise with a limited amount of people, I think it was around 20 people. THey bus you in and bus you out, you get I think it was about 1 hour. You have complete access which is nice, you can go behind the ropes and in amongst the stones.

I spent my hour trying to get a few shots without other people in the frames and also balancing that to make sure I was experiencing the enjoyment of being at such an amazing place too, another young couple spent their hour her doing yoga poses in front of Stonehenge while her boyfriend video and snapped pics of her. It was kind of funny but mostly sad, as the hour neared it's completion I remember her turning around finally and wanting to actually look at Stonehenge, the ranger was shooing everybody back to the bus by then. I guess she had to end up looking at her instagram feed to see what Stonehenge looked like.

Here is what it really looked like, and one with the sun rising. Well worth the extra money and effort to get the sunrise access.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads