M1 Mac Mini and Deep Prime

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
RVSarch New Member • Posts: 8
M1 Mac Mini and Deep Prime

I was shooting RAW + JPEG with an Olympus EM-1 Mark I and running Apple Photos with the DxO Optics Pro extension on a 2011 iMac upgraded with an SSD and 16GB of RAM. Old hardware for sure. It took more than a minute to save each 16 megapixel RAW file using Prime noise reduction, but the results were notably better than Luminar 3 or Apple Photos.

I wanted to try Deep Prime, so I loaded DxO PhotoLab 4 on a 2014 MacMini I had connected to my 4k TV. That computer falls short of the requirements for the software and needed a hack to support the 4k resolution of the TV. The results looked phenomenal, but it took more than three minutes to process a single image while Activity Monitor reported 350% CPU usage.

I did all this with an eye towards purchasing an M1 Mac Mini with 8GB of RAM. It arrived yesterday and everything seems to happen instantly. The new M1 Mac processes and saves the same RAW files with Deep Prime in about 7 seconds.

My new workflow is to shoot only in RAW and then use PhotoLab 4 to generate JPEG files. If the name is the same as the RAW file, Photos will import them as combined JPEG + RAW, allowing me to view the processed images and retain the linked RAW file in one place.

CAcreeks
CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 17,082
Re: M1 Mac Mini and Deep Prime

Excellent. So you have no question?

I have an M1 Macbook Air with 8GB. My timings with Deep PRIME are longer than yours, although with larger images. I'm not expert at interpreting it, but the "memory pressure" graph seems to show that 8GB memory is not a problem.

DxO is so wonderful that I haven't installed Darktable yet.

jf_tea Senior Member • Posts: 1,534

RVSarch wrote:

I was shooting RAW + JPEG with an Olympus EM-1 Mark I and running Apple Photos with the DxO Optics Pro extension on a 2011 iMac upgraded with an SSD and 16GB of RAM. Old hardware for sure. It took more than a minute to save each 16 megapixel RAW file using Prime noise reduction, but the results were notably better than Luminar 3 or Apple Photos.

I wanted to try Deep Prime, so I loaded DxO PhotoLab 4 on a 2014 MacMini I had connected to my 4k TV. That computer falls short of the requirements for the software and needed a hack to support the 4k resolution of the TV. The results looked phenomenal, but it took more than three minutes to process a single image while Activity Monitor reported 350% CPU usage.

I did all this with an eye towards purchasing an M1 Mac Mini with 8GB of RAM. It arrived yesterday and everything seems to happen instantly. The new M1 Mac processes and saves the same RAW files with Deep Prime in about 7 seconds.

My new workflow is to shoot only in RAW and then use PhotoLab 4 to generate JPEG files. If the name is the same as the RAW file, Photos will import them as combined JPEG + RAW, allowing me to view the processed images and retain the linked RAW file in one place.

Thanks for your excellent summary of your results with various Mac machines and DxO software.

It will help me make decisions about improving my workflow.

-- hide signature --

-JF

jf_tea's gear list:jf_tea's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Pentax K-01 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more
OP RVSarch New Member • Posts: 8

CAcreeks wrote:

I'm not expert at interpreting it, but the "memory pressure" graph seems to show that 8GB memory is not a problem.

DxO is so wonderful that I haven't installed Darktable yet.

Memory pressure has been fine, even when I have four or five other programs open. I opted for 8GB because I foresee this Mac Mini replacing my wife's 2011 iMac in a few years, which is stuck on High Sierra. She's fine with the performance right now, but Apple Silicon is certainly the future.

In low light, I was relying on the great 5 axis image stabilization and fast prime lenses to avoid ISO above 1,600 with Micro Four Thirds. Now I feel comfortable using ISO 6,400 with Deep Prime.

Aleotti Regular Member • Posts: 124

RVSarch wrote:

The new M1 Mac processes and saves the same RAW files with Deep Prime in about 7 seconds.

this is interesting - even considering that with larger files than the ones generated by your Olympus things could be different - but let me understand one thing: 7 seconds for applying Deep Prime and saving the JPEG? and what JPEG quality? and how many seconds to start Photolab? I am considering the Mac Mini, but it is hard to understand how much an improvement it would be over my current set-up.

Aleotti's gear list:Aleotti's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +4 more
mujana Veteran Member • Posts: 7,493

Aleotti wrote:

RVSarch wrote:

The new M1 Mac processes and saves the same RAW files with Deep Prime in about 7 seconds.

this is interesting - even considering that with larger files than the ones generated by your Olympus things could be different - but let me understand one thing: 7 seconds for applying Deep Prime and saving the JPEG? and what JPEG quality? and how many seconds to start Photolab? I am considering the Mac Mini, but it is hard to understand how much an improvement it would be over my current set-up.

I would like to add....how much time with Deep Prime from Raw to 16 bit Tiff?

mujana's gear list:mujana's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +9 more
CAcreeks

mujana wrote:

Aleotti wrote:

RVSarch wrote:

On 8GB M1, PhotoLab starts in seconds, maybe depending on how many previews it loads.

What camera? I'd be happy to do some timings for you. With Sony A7Rm4, Deep PRIME takes about 3x as long as no noise reduction.

I have been setting JPEG quality = 90 and have not tried TIFF. Unfortunately there is no option for lossless WebP, which would be about half the size of LZW compressed TIFF.

It's important to note that you can continue working on subsequent images while demosaic and Deep PRIME are working.

CAcreeks wrote:

mujana wrote:

Aleotti wrote:

RVSarch wrote:

On 8GB M1, PhotoLab starts in seconds, maybe depending on how many previews it loads.

What camera? I'd be happy to do some timings for you. With Sony A7Rm4, Deep PRIME takes about 3x as long as no noise reduction.

I have been setting JPEG quality = 90 and have not tried TIFF. Unfortunately there is no option for lossless WebP, which would be about half the size of LZW compressed TIFF.

It's important to note that you can continue working on subsequent images while demosaic and Deep PRIME are working.

Sony A7RIV....thank you! I know you can continue working while processing work. DXO PL is my favourite and my most used program (by far). Sometimes sending Tiffs to other programs / Qimage One. Would like to know how fast this new M1 can be at the moment.

Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +9 more
sohus Forum Member • Posts: 60

DxO PhotoLab isn't optimized to use the Apple M1 Neural Engine chip as far as I know, so performance will improve in the feature once implemented.

sohus's gear list:sohus's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Nikon 35mm F1.8G ED +5 more
CAcreeks

mujana wrote:

Sony A7RIV....thank you! I know you can continue working while processing work. DXO PL is my favourite and my most used program (by far). Sometimes sending Tiffs to other programs / Qimage One. Would like to know how fast this new M1 can be at the moment.

With Deep PRIME = 40 and smart lighting, it took 66 seconds to write both TIFF and JPEG.

Sorry I forgot to disable saving JPEG. The 85/1.4 lens module has not yet arrived, so let me wait for it and try again without JPEG save.

Good use for NR because at ISO 5000 noise is evident

CAcreeks wrote:

mujana wrote:

With Deep PRIME = 40 and smart lighting, it took 66 seconds to write both TIFF and JPEG.

Sorry I forgot to disable saving JPEG. The 85/1.4 lens module has not yet arrived, so let me wait for it and try again without JPEG save.

Good use for NR because at ISO 5000 noise is evident

Thank you very much! I have to compare with my present iMac.

CAcreeks

mujana wrote:

CAcreeks wrote:

Thank you very much! I have to compare with my present iMac.

The photo is from the DPreview sample gallery - I'm sure you can find it.

The lens module arrived. I thought it might improve sharpness around the parrot's eye, but it did not. Maybe it works better with worse lenses? It does a great job with Fuji XC 15-45.

Anyhow the parrot's eye shows why I don't want full-frame: terrible DOF.

Without the JPEG save step, and increasing Deep PRIME to 60, because I still thought there was still too much noise, timing was 64 seconds. Smart lighting, no Clearview.

P.S. It took a long time for GIMP to export the DxO created TIFF to WebP, but when done the lossless WebP was only 16% the size. Maybe ImageMagick can batch convert more quickly. The DxO TIFF is smaller than after LZW compression, hmm.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads