Macro flash alternatives

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
KonradE New Member • Posts: 12
Macro flash alternatives

Could somebody give some advise about best choice. I would like to have o good macro flash that i could use also at the distance range 0,3-2m. I have been looking at R1C1 second hand but I noticed that I could by Meikes MT24II cheeper. It seems that this is also more modern than the old R1C1.  I would like to use the macro flash both with Nikon DSLR and the Z-models and mostly butterflies and plants.

Livio Spallone Regular Member • Posts: 380
Re: Macro flash alternatives

I have both and they work very well with D and Z series Z II bodies included.

-- hide signature --

Lisperit

Livio Spallone's gear list:Livio Spallone's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 II Sony a1 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +10 more
Diswantsho
Diswantsho Regular Member • Posts: 358

KonradE wrote:

Could somebody give some advise about best choice. I would like to have o good macro flash that i could use also at the distance range 0,3-2m. I have been looking at R1C1 second hand but I noticed that I could by Meikes MT24II cheeper. It seems that this is also more modern than the old R1C1. I would like to use the macro flash both with Nikon DSLR and the Z-models and mostly butterflies and plants.

I sold my R1C1 years ago and now use a normal flash.

The R1C1 use special batteries that was hard to get where I live. Out in the bright sun the wireless infrared trigger gave me issues, or I placed a hand in front of a rc flash while focusing, that blocked the signal. Ring flashes also give light directly from the lens, and I did not like the light quality I got. I only liked it when I photographed very small subjects beyond 1:1 magnification where the short focus distance imply the little heads then directed light from above or one side.

For butterflies, or any subject at 0,3 to 2m, I use the 200 f4 micro and attach the flash bracket to the lens foot, with a SB800 or SB900 on the bracket. I use a large diffuser for soft light and place the flash at an angle for more pleasing light.

Diswantsho's gear list:Diswantsho's gear list
Nikon D800E Olympus PEN-F Nikon Z7 +3 more
Macromind
Macromind Regular Member • Posts: 283

Bolt circular flash - inexpensive - Best circular flash I've ever used

-- hide signature --

Photography, the learning experience

Macromind's gear list:Macromind's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR +18 more
DanishMacro Forum Member • Posts: 93

I use the old version of the Nikon SB400 a long with a custom diffuser that is attached to a magic arm, that sits on an L-bracket. Its lightweight, but still versatile in terms of directing the light.

I haven’t tried the R1C1 or the Meike alternative, but have heard that they give off very harsh light, and needs a custom diffuser solution to make it workable.

DanishMacro's gear list:DanishMacro's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 24mm F1.8 S Venus Laowa 24mm F14 2x Macro Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +5 more
OP KonradE New Member • Posts: 12

Thanks for your advise.  I have to think about what really suits me. I use a lot the Sigma150/2,8 , perhabs a norma flash is ok with that lens.

DanishMacro Forum Member • Posts: 93

KonradE wrote:

Thanks for your advise. I have to think about what really suits me. I use a lot the Sigma150/2,8 , perhabs a norma flash is ok with that lens.

I use the SB400 with the Irix 150mm f2.8, so it would probably work perfectly well with your Sigma of the same focal length.

DanishMacro's gear list:DanishMacro's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 24mm F1.8 S Venus Laowa 24mm F14 2x Macro Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +5 more
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 27,337

KonradE wrote:

Could somebody give some advise about best choice. I would like to have o good macro flash that i could use also at the distance range 0,3-2m. I have been looking at R1C1 second hand but I noticed that I could by Meikes MT24II cheeper. It seems that this is also more modern than the old R1C1. I would like to use the macro flash both with Nikon DSLR and the Z-models and mostly butterflies and plants.

Meike ring flash. Comes with several adapter rings for all possible lenses. I have used on the D800, the V1 and the Z7 with many lenses.

olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
Richard D Jacobs Senior Member • Posts: 2,242

I’m very pleased with the R1C1

Easy to adjust  intensity and direction of light.

I use it with the Nikon 105 F2.8 macro.

it comes with condensers and filters.

Richard

Richard D Jacobs's gear list:Richard D Jacobs's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR +7 more
Hermann Schilt Forum Member • Posts: 73

I just bought the Hähnel Modus 600RT II Pro Kit for Nikon this week. I own a Nikon SD-800 for 16 years and a Nikon SD-700 for 10 years. Although I spend a lot of time to figure out how they could work together using the Creative Light System I never totally grasped it for 100%. It worked ok though but in a row of shots there were always a 10-15% of underexposed photos from which I could not identify the cause of. Therefore I hesitated to by the R1C1 kit which was also relatively old.

One of my colleagues attended me on a test of the Hähnel kit and he was extremely positive about it. The first advantage is the use of a lithium battery, no worries and management about the AA rechargeable batteries. The kit has two flashes and a Viper transmitter, you can put your lights where you want and with RTF connection you get the right iTTL shots. In one afternoon I shot more excellent shots then the struggle from the years before.

The trade-in price offered was not high, so I kept both Nikon flashes. I will buy another Hähnel receiver so that I can use these flashes in this mode as well.

The second advantage is the guide number. To get the same value with Nikon flashes you have to spend a fortune, with this kit you can go many ways for a reasonable price.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D500, Nikkor 16-85 mm/f2,8, Micro Nikkor 105mm/f2,8, Nikon Z6, Nikkor S 24-70 mm /f4,0, Nikon 50 mm S /f1,8, Nikon S 85 mm S/f1,8, Nikon Z 24-200 mm f/4,0-6,3 VR and (adapted to Z6) Tamron 100-400/f 4-6,3, Hähnel Modus 600RT II Pro Kit

Hermann Schilt's gear list:Hermann Schilt's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Adobe Photoshop CS6 Apple iPhone 6 +1 more
maljo@inreach.com Veteran Member • Posts: 8,042
R1C1 Works well with Z7 and Z7ii

I use it often with the Nikon 105 macro.

maljo

maljo@inreach.com's gear list:maljo@inreach.com's gear list
Nikon D850 Olympus E-M1 Nikon D500 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R
PLShutterbug Senior Member • Posts: 1,027

Picky English freak here:

Advise is a verb: to provide counsel. “can anyone advise me on the best macro flash?”

Advice is the word you want here. “Can anyone give me some advice on the best macro flash?”

PLShutterbug's gear list:PLShutterbug's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Nikon D7100 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads