How do you carry your camera plus RF 100-500?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
rherteux Forum Member • Posts: 71
How do you carry your camera plus RF 100-500?

I'm struggling a bit with how to best carry this lens (mounted on my R6).  I have the tripod foot facing up most of the time and I usually just grab it by the tripod foot but the foot is rather small and doesn't allow for a good grip.

With my 100-400 II I was able to change the foot to a longer arca swiss foot and that worked fairly well, but sadly the foot on this lens can't be replaced and nobody is making a replacement collar (as of yet).  I did find some longer universal lens plates on Amazon and that will help but I can't imagine that will be comfortable holding for long periods.  Not really looking for a strap solution.  Any other ideas?

Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
noellenchris
noellenchris Forum Member • Posts: 73
Re: How do you carry your camera plus RF 100-500?

I carry mine two ways.  I used a sling where the camera clips slide on the sling allowing me to hook the foot onto my back pocket.  That worked really well for me in the past with my Tamron 150-600 G2.  Now I use a Peak Design Sling as I prefer to use the grip almost all the time now and the camera and lens sit very nicely on my right side lower back.  The other way is on my monopod over my shoulder.  I have a wrist strap and hate it with the grip, but love it without the grip and smaller lenses.  I never use small straps around my neck cause they hurt.   I do wish the foot were Arca and a tad bit longer.  The Tamron has a large Arca foot and it really worked well hooked onto my back pocket.   Good luck, I'll watch the thread to see other options suggested.

-- hide signature --

Chris

noellenchris's gear list:noellenchris's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +21 more
KiloHotelphoto Contributing Member • Posts: 557

Most of the time just with the tripod foot. I did use a Joby Pro sling strap one day and it worked well.

KiloHotelphoto's gear list:KiloHotelphoto's gear list
Canon EF 600mm f/4.0L IS II USM Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon Extender EF 2x III +3 more
BigBen08 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,858

Consider the Cotton Carrier. I have it and it works great with my large lenses.

-- hide signature --

My best aviation photos: https://500px.com/kenfm2018

Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 4,413

I fitted a Kiwi 100mm long arca swiss plate (cost about $10 from memory) permanently to the foot of my EF 100-400L ii and it provides a decent handle to carry it by.

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF-M 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +5 more
birdbrain
birdbrain Veteran Member • Posts: 3,794

Fit an ARCA plate to the lens foot.

Get an ARCA clamp.

Then something like a Black Rapid connector.

Screw that onto the underside of the clamp, attach the clamp to the plate on the lens, then hang from your Black Rapid, or similar sling.

I carried my 7D2 with either the 100-400 MKII or 500 f4 MKII like this.

-- hide signature --

Phil
I wondered why the ball kept getting bigger, then it hit me.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/sets/

birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX10 II Canon EOS R6 Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +7 more

birdbrain wrote:

Get an ARCA clamp.

Screw that onto the underside of the clamp, attach the clamp to the plate on the lens, then hang from your Black Rapid, or similar sling.

I wasn't aware that the standard Canon tripod foot was arca-swiss - at least my EF 100-400L ii isn't ?

I am obviously missing something as I don't understand how this will work ? The OP wpould need to attach an arca-swiss plate to the tripod foot (as I suggested above) and then attach the arca-swiss clamp to the plate and then the ring to the clamp - if it is just a loop for attaching a strap that was required, why not just screw it into the tripod foot directly ?

I thought that the OP wanted a "handle" that could be used to carry it with (hence the suggestion of a longer plate) and wasn't "looking for a strap solution", but maybe I misunderstood that ?

Colin

Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF-M 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +5 more
dgumshu
dgumshu Veteran Member • Posts: 4,367

birdbrain wrote:

Get an ARCA clamp.

That’s how I carry the 600 F4 ll, 500 F4, 400 DO ll and 100-400.  Works well with Black Rapid strap.

dgumshu's gear list:dgumshu's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS R5 +49 more
gavin
gavin Veteran Member • Posts: 8,006

I carry my 100-400II + 5D4 with a black rapid sling attached to the camera tripod hole. I tried using the tripod foot but fit it now as easy. I use it all the time so it would work well for the R system. I have the Peak Design sling too but I don't like it as much as the BR sling the camera can move along the strap.

-- hide signature --
 gavin's gear list:gavin's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +5 more
birdbrain
birdbrain Veteran Member • Posts: 3,794

Andy01 wrote:

birdbrain wrote:

Get an ARCA clamp.

I wasn't aware that the standard Canon tripod foot was arca-swiss - at least my EF 100-400L ii isn't ?

I am obviously missing something as I don't understand how this will work ? The OP wpould need to attach an arca-swiss plate to the tripod foot (as I suggested above) and then attach the arca-swiss clamp to the plate and then the ring to the clamp - if it is just a loop for attaching a strap that was required, why not just screw it into the tripod foot directly ?

I thought that the OP wanted a "handle" that could be used to carry it with (hence the suggestion of a longer plate) and wasn't "looking for a strap solution", but maybe I misunderstood that ?

Colin

The title of the post is “How do you carry your camera plus RF 100-500.”

So I gave my reply as to how ‘I’ carry such a setup.

Oh and the first line of my reply, “fit an ARCA plate to the lens foot” is a big clue 😬

-- hide signature --

Phil
I wondered why the ball kept getting bigger, then it hit me.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/sets/

birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX10 II Canon EOS R6 Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +7 more
Steve Balcombe Forum Pro • Posts: 14,445

rherteux wrote:

I'm struggling a bit with how to best carry this lens (mounted on my R6). I have the tripod foot facing up most of the time and I usually just grab it by the tripod foot but the foot is rather small and doesn't allow for a good grip.

With my 100-400 II I was able to change the foot to a longer arca swiss foot and that worked fairly well, but sadly the foot on this lens can't be replaced and nobody is making a replacement collar (as of yet). I did find some longer universal lens plates on Amazon and that will help but I can't imagine that will be comfortable holding for long periods. Not really looking for a strap solution. Any other ideas?

If you don't want to use a strap your options are pretty limited - and when alternative collars find their way onto the market the feet may not be much bigger than the original one.

I have a ProMediaGear L-bracket fitted to the R5 most of the time, and this allows carrying by the L-bracket upright which works really nicely. The 100-500 is light enough for this to be a practical way to carry the camera. I almost always leave the 100-500 tripod collar at home, or in my bag, which lightens the lens even further.

http://www.promediagear.com/PLCR56--L-Bracket-Plate-for-Canon-EOS-R5-R6-Mirrorless-Camera_p_475.html

birdbrain wrote:

Andy01 wrote:

birdbrain wrote:

Get an ARCA clamp.

Colin

The title of the post is “How do you carry your camera plus RF 100-500.”

So I gave my reply as to how ‘I’ carry such a setup.

Oh and the first line of my reply, “fit an ARCA plate to the lens foot” is a big clue 😬

Yes, and if you read the OP's first post, he said that he wasn't looking for a strap solution, so how do you CARRY (not attach it to a strap) the combo using the ring ?

Colin

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads