Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Analog4Ever Forum Member • Posts: 51
Re: EOS M, M50 or M6 mark ii?

Rock and Rollei wrote:

Analog4Ever wrote:

Rock and Rollei wrote:

Dareshooter wrote:

Gregq Edwards wrote:

Found UK seller for the M50 MkII, but it's not cheap, and its a complete kit with the 15-45mm. I didn't realise this model was so difficult to find in the UK.

https://camix.co.uk/product/canon-eos-m50-mk-ii-with-15-45mm-lens/

It might be worth looking at mpb.com from time to time as well to check their used stock. I picked up my M5 from them about a year ago for a very good price.

The contact number is a mobile so maybe give that company a wide berth. Never heard of them though but thanks all the same.

Also the M50 is selling legit for a lot cheaper and the MK II upgrade is on paper,not compelling enough to justify the price hike.

They are registered since 21st August last year with Companies House., but there's no other info there beyond address. Trustpilot feedback looks ok, but (a) that's easily cheated, and (b) I suspect that what they're doing is grey importing from some other source at the point of order.
I've not seen it showing in stock with reputable UK dealer.

I've bought from them. MPB.com rated a lens Excellent and it looked brand new.

They came recommended by a friend in my photo club. I think your fears are misplaced.

Not MPB, they're entirely reputable - Camix.

I see...the 2 year warranty ???

Analog4Ever's gear list:Analog4Ever's gear list
Canon PowerShot Pro1 Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS M100 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM +1 more
Ali Senior Member • Posts: 1,637

Alpesh26 wrote:

I’m open to other brands but would like to reuse my Canon 18-55 and 55-250mm lenses if possible. I’m thinking about getting the EF-M 22mm prime lens too

The 22mm is a good lens, but I enjoy the 32mm f1.4 way more. I have barely used my 22mm since I got the 32mm.

Ali's gear list:Ali's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Olympus TG-5 Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS80 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5
Greg Edwards Regular Member • Posts: 307

Dareshooter wrote:

Gregq Edwards wrote:

Found UK seller for the M50 MkII, but it's not cheap, and its a complete kit with the 15-45mm. I didn't realise this model was so difficult to find in the UK.

https://camix.co.uk/product/canon-eos-m50-mk-ii-with-15-45mm-lens/

It might be worth looking at mpb.com from time to time as well to check their used stock. I picked up my M5 from them about a year ago for a very good price.

The contact number is a mobile so maybe give that company a wide berth. Never heard of them though but thanks all the same.

Also the M50 is selling legit for a lot cheaper and the MK II upgrade is on paper,not compelling enough to justify the price hike.

My apologies, I didn’t take note of their contact details. I just found them with a google shopping search.

It might be worth dropping mpb.com a line to see if they ever get any in. Failing that, try contacting Canon UK and query availability.

Greg Edwards's gear list:Greg Edwards's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM HP Photosmart B110 +5 more
OP Alpesh26 New Member • Posts: 9

Thanks all for the feedback and opinions, very much appreciated!

It seems the M6 Mk2 was the clear winner from my options so I bought a used body in 'Excellent' condition from MPB. I traded in my EOS M and SpeedLite 90EX as the M6 Mk2 has a small flash built in. I've never had an EVF so I won't miss it, the tiling screen may help when taking pictures in bright sunlight anyway.

I've kept my lenses and will test them out on the M6. I can see the 55-250 being sold and put the cost towards the 32mm as opposed to the 22mm. The 32mm seems to take more advantage of the sensor. Or I may sell the 18-55 and get the EF-S 10-18mm even though it adds bulk with the adapter. Any opinions on lens choices would be appreciated.

I understand the 32mm is more of a 50mm taking into account the cropped sensor (please correct me if I'm wrong) but it is expensive (anyone feeling generous ;-))!

I get the point about waiting to see what Canon release this year, but my uncle used to wait for a "new model" and never bought anything!

I almost bought the one from Camix and the company does seem legitimate. However, he offered me a low price for my EOS M (I could always sell it elsewhere) and the M6 Mk2 was a grey import. Although he offered a 2 year warranty with Camix themselves, he hasn't been trading for long and I've been stung in the past where companies have changed their name rendering any warranties useless. Thats not to say Camix will do this and he seemed genuine on the phone, it just wasn't a risk I personally wanted to take.

Granted I only get a 6 month warranty from MPB I felt safer as they're more established and it makes the trade in on the EOS M easier. I can always put some of the money saved towards insurance.

I'm sure I'll have more questions once I get the M6 mk2, but this seems like a great forum with lots of knowledgable people! 

Alpesh26's gear list:Alpesh26's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4 Apple iPhone 11 Pro

The M has been a solid camera, not had any issues as such, just the burst speed and auto focus is slow but that's more down to what I expect of it rather than the camera itself.

I thought about keeping the M and using magic lantern on it but the M6 mk2 has an intervalometer on it anyway

Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4 Apple iPhone 11 Pro

From my understanding, any M50 Mk2 sold in the UK will be a grey import as Canon haven't released it here. Happy to be proved wrong

beagle1 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,281

Alpesh26 wrote:

Hello,

I posted this in the buying advice thread but it might be better placed here

I have a Canon EOS M and looking to upgrade. I’m very much a beginner but I’ve owned this camera since 2014 and it hasn’t been very good for F1 photography mostly due to the burst FPS being only 4.

I have the EF-M 18-55mm lens it came with and EF-M mount adapter with an EF-S 55-250mm lens (non STM, very slow to focus!)

I like M series due to size and I have been considering upgrading to either M50 (the mark ii is not available in the UK) or the M6 mark ii.

I can get around £100 for my EOS M which I don’t think is too bad considering I purchased in 2014 for £240. I’d like to take the opportunity to upgrade and get something for it rather than it being worthless in a couple more years.

Which of the options (M6 mark ii or M50) would you guys/girls recommend or keep the EOS M? I’d like to use it for F1 stills, portrait and I don’t think I’ll be shooting much video or vlogging with it.

I’m open to other brands but would like to reuse my Canon 18-55 and 55-250mm lenses if possible. I’m thinking about getting the EF-M 22mm prime lens too.

Thanks in advance!

I'll vote for the M6ii

Greg Edwards Regular Member • Posts: 307

Congrats. As I said, I bought by M5 from mpb. They’re great for trades and offered a better rate for the M3 I p’exd than I would have got for it on eBay! Their after sales is very good too.

Greg Edwards's gear list:Greg Edwards's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM HP Photosmart B110 +5 more

By the time you've paid the fees on PayPal and eBay it's sometimes not worth the hassle. Hopefully MPB pay the quoted prices, they also don't deal with grey imports and if one slips through they said they would sort it out

Ali Senior Member • Posts: 1,637

Alpesh26 wrote:

It seems the M6 Mk2 was the clear winner from my options so I bought a used body in 'Excellent' condition from MPB.

Good to hear!

I've kept my lenses and will test them out on the M6. I can see the 55-250 being sold and put the cost towards the 32mm as opposed to the 22mm. The 32mm seems to take more advantage of the sensor. Or I may sell the 18-55 and get the EF-S 10-18mm even though it adds bulk with the adapter. Any opinions on lens choices would be appreciated.

I think the 32mm + a EF-M zoom lens such as the Canon 18-150 or Tamron 18-200 (the EF-M model) would cover a pretty good range, if you still want to have some reach.

If you do want the wide end there's also the pretty good EF-M 10-22mm.

Ali's gear list:Ali's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Olympus TG-5 Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS80 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5
R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 22,789

Alpesh26 wrote:

Thanks all for the feedback and opinions, very much appreciated!

It seems the M6 Mk2 was the clear winner from my options so I bought a used body in 'Excellent' condition from MPB. I traded in my EOS M and SpeedLite 90EX as the M6 Mk2 has a small flash built in. I've never had an EVF so I won't miss it, the tiling screen may help when taking pictures in bright sunlight anyway.

I understand the 32mm is more of a 50mm taking into account the cropped sensor (please correct me if I'm wrong) but it is expensive (anyone feeling generous ;-))!

I get the point about waiting to see what Canon release this year, but my uncle used to wait for a "new model" and never bought anything!

...I'm sure I'll have more questions once I get the M6 mk2, but this seems like a great forum with lots of knowledgable people!

Outstanding move! The M6ii absolutely shines in exactly the areas you’re looking for improvement in.

As far as prime lenses go, it’s pretty much personal preference. However that EF-M 32 you’re contemplating is seriously good.

The EF-M 11-22 ultra-wide is excellent (preferable to the 10-18), and you might want to keep the 55-250 to see how it performs on the M6ii (esp if it’s the STM version).

Also be sure to check out the M6ii Tips & Tricks thread for some pointers...

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4433968

Enjoy your new kit, and holler back if you have any questions!  

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5

R2D2 wrote:

Outstanding move! The M6ii absolutely shines in exactly the areas you’re looking for improvement in.

As far as prime lenses go, it’s pretty much personal preference. However that EF-M 32 you’re contemplating is seriously good.

The EF-M 11-22 ultra-wide is excellent (preferable to the 10-18), and you might want to keep the 55-250 to see how it performs on the M6ii (esp if it’s the STM version).

Also be sure to check out the M6ii Tips & Tricks thread for some pointers...

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4433968

Enjoy your new kit, and holler back if you have any questions!

R2

Unfortunately the 55-250 I have is the non STM version as I don't think it was released when I bought it. To be fair, the 55-250 does produce some nice pictures and it might be a bit quicker with M6 Mk2.

Yep, I've been researching the 32mm and the Sigma 30mm and on the M6 Mk2 the Canon 32mm seems the better bet despite the cost difference. I also like the warmer colours it produces over the Sigma. I may pick up the 22mm in the future as they're reasonably priced used.

Thanks for the link to the Tips and Tricks thread, I'll be using that one a lot!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads