EOS M, M50 or M6 mark ii?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Alpesh26 New Member • Posts: 9
EOS M, M50 or M6 mark ii?

Hello,

I posted this in the buying advice thread but it might be better placed here

I have a Canon EOS M and looking to upgrade. I’m very much a beginner but I’ve owned this camera since 2014 and it hasn’t been very good for F1 photography mostly due to the burst FPS being only 4.

I have the EF-M 18-55mm lens it came with and EF-M mount adapter with an EF-S 55-250mm lens (non STM, very slow to focus!)

I like M series due to size and I have been considering upgrading to either M50 (the mark ii is not available in the UK) or the M6 mark ii.

I can get around £100 for my EOS M which I don’t think is too bad considering I purchased in 2014 for £240. I’d like to take the opportunity to upgrade and get something for it rather than it being worthless in a couple more years.

Which of the options (M6 mark ii or M50) would you guys/girls recommend or keep the EOS M? I’d like to use it for F1 stills, portrait and I don’t think I’ll be shooting much video or vlogging with it.

I’m open to other brands but would like to reuse my Canon 18-55 and 55-250mm lenses if possible. I’m thinking about getting the EF-M 22mm prime lens too.

Thanks in advance!

Alpesh26's gear list:Alpesh26's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4 Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Apple iPhone 11 Pro
Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M) Canon EOS M6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Frodro100
Frodro100 Regular Member • Posts: 359
Re: EOS M, M50 or M6 mark ii?

I think any of those will seem like a giant leap forward from an original EOS M. The autofocus in my M6II is really, really good, though. I could never go back to a gen 1 EOS M. Maybe not even able to go back to a DSLR after owning this camera.

Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 4,336

Since you are used to not having a EVF, the M6 ii is obviously the best M camera yet. The only advantage the M50 has is the EVF (I personally would probably not buy another M body without EVF, but that is a personal preference) - The M6 ii is better than the M50 is every other aspect, but it obviously costs more.

You would almost certainly want to upgrade your longer lens to make full use of either option and particularly M6 ii. Perhaps consider a EF 70-300 ii (latest version) as it has a bit more range and possibly slightly faster focusing than the latest EF-S 55-205mm - might be better for motorsport ?

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF-M 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +5 more
thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 6,567

Alpesh26 wrote:

Hello,

I have a Canon EOS M and looking to upgrade. I’m very much a beginner but I’ve owned this camera since 2014 and it hasn’t been very good for F1 photography mostly due to the burst FPS being only 4.

I have the EF-M 18-55mm lens it came with and EF-M mount adapter with an EF-S 55-250mm lens (non STM, very slow to focus!)

I like M series due to size and I have been considering upgrading to either M50 (the mark ii is not available in the UK) or the M6 mark ii.

I can get around £100 for my EOS M which I don’t think is too bad considering I purchased in 2014 for £240. I’d like to take the opportunity to upgrade and get something for it rather than it being worthless in a couple more years.

Which of the options (M6 mark ii or M50) would you guys/girls recommend or keep the EOS M? I’d like to use it for F1 stills, portrait and I don’t think I’ll be shooting much video or vlogging with it.

I’m open to other brands but would like to reuse my Canon 18-55 and 55-250mm lenses if possible.

If you want to reuse those, and you don't need a viewfinder (as the M has none) the M6mkII is good value for money, however, if you can find a used M200 that's great value for money too, as the AF of the M200 is a bit better compared to the M50mkI.  Probably the M50mkII is just on par with the M200 (same sensor, same processor).

If you don't need the best AF in the world (and frankly, your current lenses and even the 22mm aren't that demanding anyway) a used M100 can be a nice upgrade as well.

If you're planning to get a 32mm or sigma 56mm in the future I would definitely skip the M100. If you love to do environmental portraits with those lenses the M200, M50mkII and M5mkII are better than the M50mkI.  If you just like to do head and shoulders portraits, the M50mkI is fine.

I’m thinking about getting the EF-M 22mm prime lens too.

This will improve your low light AF. The M200 and M50mkII will be a bit better for this compared to the M50mkI, however, the M6mkII will give you the best performance for low light AF.

Thanks in advance!

Last aspect:  handling.  If you like to adjust a lot yourself quickly and love a bunch of buttons and dials, the M6mkII is the best.  The M50 or M50mmkII is doable when you customize it the right way. This is where the M200 might be lacking, which is a pity, as for anything else it's a very capable camera.

The M6mkII has a better ISO auto implementation with a minimum shutter speeds. It also has some C-modes as well.  Dynamic range is the best, resolution too.

-- hide signature --

I love 50mm (equivalence)

thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +16 more
geru Senior Member • Posts: 1,199

Having upgraded to the M6 mark II from the M50 I find the M6 mark II is definitely  a better upgrade in all aspects.

Here's a Side by side comparison of the M50 And the M 6 both mark II (s).

geru's gear list:geru's gear list
Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM +5 more

thunder storm wrote:

and M5mkII are better than the M50mkI.

I got all excited when I read this   I assume you meant M6 ii (unless you know something I don't) ?

Colin

Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF-M 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +5 more
IoannisZ
IoannisZ Regular Member • Posts: 225

Better wait this year to see what plans have Canon for the system. Its not wise to invest more right now.

-- hide signature --

More pixels, less ideas

Analog4Ever Junior Member • Posts: 46

I can't think of a reason to keep the M Classic unless there's some nostalgia around it.

There's rules about selling gear on this site so consider what follows as an advisory.

Like you I bought the M with the adapter and 22mm.  Currently I have the M with a blank lcd; the M100/22; M50/22; and the adapter.  I'm selling all but the M100/22 which I bought new for $450 (foreign) model) just before Christmas.

I've just never committed to the form.  It's really too small for my hands.  I ditched a Rebel for the same reason.  I need a larger grip.

I have a wrist strap for the M100 and the 22 (both white/silver) is welded on.  It's small enough for casual walks, street photography (if we're ever done with the masks), and 24 MP is plenty.

You won't be disappointed by it or the M200.  The M6 II is the Queen of the rangefinder form right now with a new 32 MP sensor.  Since you keep your cameras it's probably the best investment looking to the future, but you won't get a sweetheart deal on one just yet.

The EVF on the M50 is beautiful.  I'd keep it but if I sell everything on eBay at prices trending I can buy a 90D for 300-400 dollars more, or trade about even for a 80D.

The advantage I have is the EF-S lenses I already own.

Frankly I think you'll be happy with the M100/200, M50 I/II, and the M6 II.  So I say buy what your budget will allow.

Hakuna Matata

Analog4Ever's gear list:Analog4Ever's gear list
Canon PowerShot Pro1 Canon EOS M100 Canon EOS 10D Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM +1 more

Andy01 wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

and M5mkII are better than the M50mkI.

I got all excited when I read this I assume you meant M6 ii (unless you know something I don't) ?

Colin

Sorry, typo.  No, I meant the M50mkII.

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +16 more

IoannisZ wrote:

Better wait this year to see what plans have Canon for the system. Its not wise to invest more right now.

I suspect that if anyone took this advice, no-one would have bought a M series camera in the last 5 years - every year there is lots of rumours and debate about the M system being discontinued and yet it has kept going.

I might agree with you if the OP was talking about "investing" thousands of dollars in very high level gear but I don't believe that is the case.

Buy whatever camera suits right now - it will last a few years at least and by then things might have changed - in the meantime use the hell out of it and get your money's worth and enjoy

Colin

Andy01 wrote:

IoannisZ wrote:

I suspect that if anyone took this advice, no-one would have bought a M series camera in the last 5 years - every year there is lots of rumours and debate about the M system being discontinued and yet it has kept going.

I might agree with you if the OP was talking about "investing" thousands of dollars in very high level gear but I don't believe that is the case.

Buy whatever camera suits right now - it will last a few years at least and by then things might have changed - in the meantime use the hell out of it and get your money's worth and enjoy

Colin

You can wait, but you'll never get a crystal ball.

If Canon releases what you need it will be too expensive.  So if you decide to wait it probably makes more sense to save up and wait for a price drop of things you can't afford right now, but are available today.

-- hide signature --

MyM6II
MyM6II Senior Member • Posts: 1,722

Yes, I can absolutely recommend the M6 Mark II.

It’s a fantastic camera. 😃👍

MyM6II's gear list:MyM6II's gear list
Canon G7 X III Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M100 Canon EOS M200
Rock and Rollei Senior Member • Posts: 2,304

I still use a couple of original Ms, converted to IR use - still good for that. And the M, for all its faults, has always been a bit of a jewel of a camera, beautifully made with such a silky smooth touch interface. And that sensor can still produce lovely pictures.
The M50 is a huge leap forwards. Decent AF is by far the biggest difference. One of the best bang per quid cameras available.
The M6 II, though, is probably the most underrated camera on the market today, largely because it's an M, but also because the viewfinder isn't built in - which personally, I find an advantage.
It's an incredibly competent camera, Canon's best crop format camera and a real all-rounder.

Rock and Rollei's gear list:Rock and Rollei's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +29 more

Rock and Rollei wrote:

I still use a couple of original Ms, converted to IR use - still good for that. And the M, for all its faults, has always been a bit of a jewel of a camera, beautifully made with such a silky smooth touch interface. And that sensor can still produce lovely pictures.
The M50 is a huge leap forwards. Decent AF is by far the biggest difference. One of the best bang per quid cameras available.
The M6 II, though, is probably the most underrated camera on the market today,

And that's great, as I was able to get one for 850 euro viewfinder and kitlens included.  I will sell the kitlens, and get probably 50 euro or so for it.

largely because it's an M, but also because the viewfinder isn't built in - which personally, I find an advantage.

As it's not my low light camera it's fine by me.

It's an incredibly competent camera, Canon's best crop format camera and a real all-rounder.

The 90D has it's place. However, the M6mkII kind of puts it to shame as it comes to AF and available lenses.

-- hide signature --

Greg Edwards Regular Member • Posts: 304

Found UK seller for the M50 MkII, but it's not cheap, and its a complete kit with the 15-45mm. I didn't realise this model was so difficult to find in the UK.

https://camix.co.uk/product/canon-eos-m50-mk-ii-with-15-45mm-lens/

It might be worth looking at mpb.com from time to time as well to check their used stock. I picked up my M5 from them about a year ago for a very good price.

Greg Edwards's gear list:Greg Edwards's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM HP Photosmart B110 +5 more
Dareshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,908

Gregq Edwards wrote:

Found UK seller for the M50 MkII, but it's not cheap, and its a complete kit with the 15-45mm. I didn't realise this model was so difficult to find in the UK.

It might be worth looking at mpb.com from time to time as well to check their used stock. I picked up my M5 from them about a year ago for a very good price.

The contact number is a mobile so maybe give that company a wide berth. Never heard of them though but thanks all the same.

Also the M50 is selling legit for a lot cheaper and the MK II upgrade is on paper,not compelling enough to justify the price hike.

Dareshooter wrote:

Gregq Edwards wrote:

The contact number is a mobile so maybe give that company a wide berth. Never heard of them though but thanks all the same.

Also the M50 is selling legit for a lot cheaper and the MK II upgrade is on paper,not compelling enough to justify the price hike.

They are registered since 21st August last year with Companies House., but there's no other info there beyond address.  Trustpilot feedback looks ok, but (a) that's easily cheated, and (b) I suspect that what they're doing is grey importing from some other source at the point of order.
I've not seen it showing in stock with reputable UK dealer.

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +29 more
Analog4Ever Junior Member • Posts: 46

Rock and Rollei wrote:

Dareshooter wrote:

Gregq Edwards wrote:

They are registered since 21st August last year with Companies House., but there's no other info there beyond address. Trustpilot feedback looks ok, but (a) that's easily cheated, and (b) I suspect that what they're doing is grey importing from some other source at the point of order.

I've bought from them. MPB.com rated a lens Excellent and it looked brand new.

They came recommended by a friend in my photo club.  I think your fears are misplaced.

Analog4Ever's gear list:Analog4Ever's gear list
Canon PowerShot Pro1 Canon EOS M100 Canon EOS 10D Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM +1 more
dan the man p Regular Member • Posts: 304

Alpesh26 wrote:

Hello,

I’m open to other brands but would like to reuse my Canon 18-55 and 55-250mm lenses if possible. I’m thinking about getting the EF-M 22mm prime lens too.

Thanks in advance!

I upgraded from the original M to the M50 last fall. I find it a huge upgrade and much more fun to shoot with. Plus, I got it refurbished with the 15-45 lens for about $420, so for the price it's hard to beat. I'm sure the M6 ii is better, but for me the M50 is plenty good. Plus I like the EVF. So it all comes down to your priorities and budget.

dan the man p's gear list:dan the man p's gear list
Sony DSC-RX0 Canon EOS M50 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM

Analog4Ever wrote:

Rock and Rollei wrote:

Dareshooter wrote:

Gregq Edwards wrote:

They are registered since 21st August last year with Companies House., but there's no other info there beyond address. Trustpilot feedback looks ok, but (a) that's easily cheated, and (b) I suspect that what they're doing is grey importing from some other source at the point of order.

I've bought from them. MPB.com rated a lens Excellent and it looked brand new.

They came recommended by a friend in my photo club. I think your fears are misplaced.

Not MPB, they're entirely reputable - Camix.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads