Please help me to choose the best one.

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Robert 23 Regular Member • Posts: 142
Please help me to choose the best one.

I am going to buy my next DSLR.(I have Df and D700)
After a lot of reading, searching etc... I decided to go with either D800E or D780.
I already have a collection of fast F mount lenses
I shoot landscape, stills, abstract, street.

D780 because is the closest thing to the mirrorless and because of its high iso performance.

D800E because i am really impressed by its sharpness (Actually i saw on Flickr some shots like thathttps://flic.kr/p/24i5Ydt

Ι turned down:
Z series (i hate EVF)
D810---Nothing on Flickr managed to impress me both sharpness and colour wise.
D850,D5,D6 etc...Toooo expensive.

So..what would you suggest?

Nikon D800E Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
patricksmith32
patricksmith32 Senior Member • Posts: 1,030
Re: Please help me to choose the best one.

Robert 23 wrote:

After a lot of reading, searching etc... I decided to go with either D800E or D780.

D780 because is the closest thing to the mirrorless and because of its high iso performance.

D800E because i am really impressed by its sharpness (Actually i saw on Flickr some shots like thathttps://flic.kr/p/24i5Ydt

Ι turned down:
Z series (i hate EVF)

Sorry but I’m confused! You’re comparing and deciding against a possibly $800 camera that’s only available used and a brand new $2300 plus with taxes camera? Yet a D850 is too expensive? Did you not know you can buy a used D850 for that price or even much less? I’ve seen the D850 for as low as $1500 used where I live locally. There are not many used D780 available and most used copies are relatively unused and in mint condition, so not much discount over brand new. Basically I’m confused why you’re excluding other cameras in the $1000-$2300 range. What’s wrong with a D810 again? It’s less sharp than the D800E? That’s even more confusing than the two choices in very different price ranges. How much is your actual budget? What do you shoot most often and what lenses do you own, etc?

patricksmith32's gear list:patricksmith32's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm F4E FL ED VR Nikon 24-70mm F2.8E ED VR Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon D5 Nikon D850 +3 more
OP Robert 23 Regular Member • Posts: 142

I live in Spain and actually, i can find a used D800E for around 900-1000 euros. A brand new D780 (grey market ) around 1600 euros.
I found a used D780 (like new) for 1450 euros.
I can't find a used D850 for less than 2000-2200 euros.
i can spend around 1500 euros.
I have Nikon 24-70 2,8 G and 70-200 f/2,8 VrII
3 Nikon f/1,8 G primes  and a Sigma art 35 f/1,4
As for the D810.I don't know really...i checked 500 px and Flickr and in comparison, i like the sharpness and colours from D800E better.

md lucero Regular Member • Posts: 304

Don't base sharpness by what you see on a website...you are looking at monitor resolution. Plus, it is not the camera that makes an image sharp, it is the lenses (O.K., maybe a bit of this due to AA filter over sensor).

Do you print? Do you do much post processing?

T O Shooter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,679
Re: Please help me to choose the best one. D810 and be done with it

Robert 23 wrote:

Ι turned down:
Z series (i hate EVF)

You are confusing what you're seeing from one particular photographer  with the capabilities of the D810. The D810 is the better camera.

If this is actually giving you somethin you want "D780 because is the closest thing to the mirrorless and because of its high iso performance." than buy the D780. Otherwise........

if you want the better of the D8x0 series, without going to the D850, buy the D810.

Haven't you been kicking this around for months?

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------
I enjoy my Nikon gear. But as has been pointed out to me "it’s a declining, decaying system based upon ancient technology" Funny that, never noticed.

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +5 more

I see what you mean, but i have seen more than 1000 images so far from both cameras.
Hundreds of different photographers and lenses on 500px and Flickr
So i suppose i got much info about sharpness and colours from these two cameras.

briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 6,422

Robert 23 wrote:

I see what you mean, but i have seen more than 1000 images so far from both cameras.
So i suppose i got much info about sharpness and colours from these two cameras.

You really didn't - unless you know how each of those hundreds of images was processed, and what camera settings were used.

briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z fc Nikon Z9 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +17 more
BISCUT Contributing Member • Posts: 554

You mentioned owning some excellent 2.8 F glass.  To me, that begs for the D850.  The D810 is an excellent choice as well if you can get it at the right price point.  Just my 2 cents but picking up a new 780 because it's almost mirrorless but not going with a used Z6 or Z7 and FTZ doesn't add up to me.

With the new Z6II and Z7II there should be plenty of used Z6 and Z7 models available at decent pricing.

BISCUT's gear list:BISCUT's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +9 more
dave gaines
dave gaines Veteran Member • Posts: 9,733
Relative cost and the best one.

Robert 23 wrote:

I live in Spain and actually, i can find a used D800E for around 900-1000 euros. A brand new D780 (grey market ) around 1600 euros.
I found a used D780 (like new) for 1450 euros.
I can't find a used D850 for less than 2000-2200 euros.
i can spend around 1500 euros.
As for the D810.I don't know really...i checked 500 px and Flickr and in comparison, i like the sharpness and colours from D800E better.

Here in the US the price difference is wider. I have a D800E that I really like. I just bought the D850 when it was on sale for $2500US. I was going to sell the D800E but I am disappointed to see I can only get about $800US for it. I will probably keep it as a back up and rough hiking (beater) camera.

The new D780 sells for around $2300US, as other's have said. Grey market sometimes means no warranty or no Nikon service. Make sure you know what that means in Spain. The D780 price here is nearly 3 times the price of a D800E. For a few dollars more I bought a D850.

The D810 followed the D800E by about 2 years. It appears to have the same 36 MP sensor. I'm not sure about the AA filter. You can read reviews here and on Thom Hogan's Nikon website for reviews and spec's for both the D800E and the D810. That will give you better perspective on what you can do with either camera. People here seem to rave abut the capabilities of the D810.

The downside to the D800E is ongoing support, repairs and parts for a discontinued, 9 year old body. The D780 will be supported farther into the future.

The D850 is back to the full price of $3000US now, but it won't be available for much longer. Most people believe the sale was a way for Nikon to deplete the stock before releasing a new model D880 very soon. That new model will sell for $3300US or more when it's first released.

-- hide signature --

Dave - Be safe. Stay Healthy.

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
Timotis77
Timotis77 Contributing Member • Posts: 619

Id buy the D800e/D800/D810 if I was in your position! (don’t count out the D810)

Why? Cos you already have lower count MP bodies with the D700 and DF - Getting a D750 or D780 I think is buying something identical to what you already have MP wise....

Least with the D8**'s you get more pixels on the sensor -

High ISO performance you wont really see that much difference in real world with any of these, even if you got the D850 - There isn’t that much difference - Ok if you shoot past 6400-12800 maybe, but really who does and how often do they do this??

I have D500, D850 and D810 – I sold my first D810 to buy my D850 – But really missed the D810 –   I think in lower ISO ranges of like 100 – 800 the D810 handles ISO much better than the D850 –

So I got another D810 to go with my D850

I a n
I a n Regular Member • Posts: 137

This might be of help in thinking about the differences between the various 8xx series Nikon cameras:

https://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews-2/what-time-does-to-pricescap.html

I a n's gear list:I a n's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
kbrkr
kbrkr Senior Member • Posts: 1,720

Robert 23 wrote:

I've owned both cameras and shot 7000 photos with each; the D810 is a much more refined camera than the 800/E.  Shutter slap is more controlled, build is better, ergonomics are better, the D810 does NOT have an AA filter, has a lower and higher ISO range (64-51200), shoots at 5fps vs 4, higher resolution LCD screen, and a higher battery life.

scokill
scokill Veteran Member • Posts: 6,613

Viewing apparent sharpness on the web isn't an approach I would use.  Sharpness on the web is often times a function of the lens and processing.  All of the cameras you have listed are capable of delivering sharp photos.  There may be other considerations such as DR, AF, fps, etc. etc.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR
TITCHY Senior Member • Posts: 1,364

personally I would have thought the D780 would be right up your street , its a modest increase in resolution from the 12/16mp cameras you already have , its current , so support is not in danger of being cut as may happen if you bought an older model that is (or about to be ) discontinued.

it carries forward from the excellent D750 and is a mix of tried and proven DSLR tech with some great improvements from its mirrorless cousins. way better live view , and video features for a start ,  I see you are contemplating grey market , so money is a factor , I mention this because I remember when I made the jump from D300 to D800e and the initial wow was tempered a little by the realization that my PC of the day was now so darn slow at processing the large increase in file size. (more cost) not dissing the D800 series. I still have my old (broken) D800E lying around and a D810.

Fact is though, for 99% of my shooting I simply do not need such high resolution . and My Z6 is unbelievable for dynamic range , so 24mp is my go-to sensor size for most things . that said I do have a Z7 too,  I will wise-up one day (just not today).

TITCHY's gear list:TITCHY's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 +65 more
patricksmith32
patricksmith32 Senior Member • Posts: 1,030

I’m not sure why you chose the D780, but I’m sure you’ll be happy with it, if you do choose it. For $1600 Euros or even less though I’d buy used over gray market. A used copy should be pretty low mileage and in good shape. I’ve bought many used Nikon DSLR’s over the years and never once had an issue. However I do have expertise and experience buying and inspecting used gear. So I don’t recommend buying used to most people, especially those who don’t know everything to look for. But when it comes to a newer camera that’s mostly owned by amateurs or hobbyists, it’s much safer. Just ask for and check the shutter count and make sure it looks good. I could write an entire article or essay on things to look for, but honestly I wouldn’t worry too much about it. A low shutter count is a good sign though, although it’s a video centric camera so it could be well used but low count. Overall though it’s fairly a safe bet, buying used. I’ve never once needed a single repair in 25 years of professional use. Not one lens issue or camera issue with Nikon. I did need two repairs when I shot Canon equipment for a few years, but that’s normal. I think I’ve just been extremely lucky with Nikon and they make quality products.

But as far buying the D800E or D810, Id personally but the D810 all day everyday over the D800E. Not that the D800E is bad, it’s just too close in value on the used market compared to the newer and better D810. I’ve had both models and honestly both are great, but overall the D810 is better in pretty much every way except image quality. Those are important changes to me, but they may not be to you. However for only a few hundred more, the D810 is currently a better deal. At least in America and in my opinion, the D800E just brings too much money used. It’s been staying around $800 for years while the D810 has dropped from around $2000 to $1000 in a shorter time frame. It’s honestly a lot of camera and a great deal in my opinion. Having said that, plenty of people still own and love their D800E! So you can’t go wrong either way. I’f you honestly need video or live view AF features in the D780 just buy that. If you don’t need those two features or won’t use them much, get the D810!

patricksmith32's gear list:patricksmith32's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm F4E FL ED VR Nikon 24-70mm F2.8E ED VR Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon D5 Nikon D850 +3 more

Right now i am still looking for images on some photography places trying to convince myself that the D810 is the camera for my as everyone says it is a better camera than d800e. But... I really can't...
I can't describe it in words but there is something on its colours that i don't like...
I am trying images from different photographers and lenses..
I really don't know...

T O Shooter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,679

Robert 23 wrote:

Right now i am still looking for images on some photography places trying to convince myself that the D810 is the camera for my as everyone says it is a better camera than d800e. But... I really can't...
I can't describe it in words but there is something on its colours that i don't like...
I really don't know...

So it is very simple.  Buy the D800e.  It's the one you really want.

Just buy it and be done with it.

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------
I enjoy my Nikon gear. But as has been pointed out to me "it’s a declining, decaying system based upon ancient technology" Funny that, never noticed.

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +5 more
Timotis77
Timotis77 Contributing Member • Posts: 619

Robert 23 wrote:

I really don't know...

I think your making it harder than it needs to be........

Plus, are looking at toooooooo many pictures from tooooo many other potographers, when the only person's pictures that matter are your own......

briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 6,422

Robert 23 wrote:

The only way to make a meaningful assessment of the colours from different cameras is to look at images from both, that were made with the same lens, in the same conditions, using equivalent camera settings and post-processing.

briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z fc Nikon Z9 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +17 more
scokill
scokill Veteran Member • Posts: 6,613

briantilley wrote:

Robert 23 wrote:

The only way to make a meaningful assessment of the colours from different cameras is to look at images from both, that were made with the same lens, in the same conditions, using equivalent camera settings and post-processing.

It's a cliche, but who is behind the camera is probably most important.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads