Topaz denoise Ai vs. Topaz sharpen Ai ?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Uloo
Uloo Senior Member • Posts: 2,907
Topaz denoise Ai vs. Topaz sharpen Ai ?

Do I need them both?

Currently I have Topaz Sharpen Ai which also does some denoise, but I heard a lot of good stuff on the Denoise Ai.

Can anyone who has both tell me the pros and con, of what they can and cannot do.

Thank you.

Ulrich

Uloo's gear list:Uloo's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM +4 more
rogerstpierre Veteran Member • Posts: 4,795
Re: Topaz denoise Ai vs. Topaz sharpen Ai ?

Denoise AI uses the basic Sharpen model, which is fine when an already well focused image that needs some detail enhancing. Sharpen AI on the other hand has 3 different sharpening models, the basic Sharpen, one that is optimized for out of focus images (i.e. didn't quite nailed it) and one optimized for motion blurr. What model works best depends on your image. Sharpen AI is particularly good for rescuing motion blurred images, which Denoise AI won't do. Think of Sharpen AI as the tool for rescuing poorly focused images rather than just enhancing an already properly focused one.

-- hide signature --

Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus 12-45mm F4 Pro +4 more
maggiemole Senior Member • Posts: 1,737

I have both, and hardly use Sharpen AI. I find the sharpening in denoise excellent. If I have images which need the extra attention of Sharpen AI, I end up disappointed - my images are always just too bad for the software to make enough difference.

maggiemole's gear list:maggiemole's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Panasonic 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 II
Digital Nigel Forum Pro • Posts: 13,696

rogerstpierre wrote:

Denoise AI uses the basic Sharpen model, which is fine when an already well focused image that needs some detail enhancing. Sharpen AI on the other hand has 3 different sharpening models, the basic Sharpen, one that is optimized for out of focus images (i.e. didn't quite nailed it) and one optimized for motion blurr. What model works best depends on your image. Sharpen AI is particularly good for rescuing motion blurred images, which Denoise AI won't do. Think of Sharpen AI as the tool for rescuing poorly focused images rather than just enhancing an already properly focused one.

The only mode that I find useful in Sharpen AI is Stabilize, which tends to add more value than artefacts.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +19 more
gscotten
gscotten Senior Member • Posts: 2,105

I have both and find Denoise to be quite useful, and Sharpen next to useless. Now, I tend to shoot a lot of high ISO images, so my usage might bias my opinion somewhat. I also pixel peep. But Sharpen AI only works for me on very clean images and even then I always have to turn the strength down to minimize artifacts. Masking helps. Or layer it in Photoshop.

I bought Sharpen on a very good sale, and every once in a while it works a miracle, so I am glad I have both. Denoise is a LOT faster on my system, and generates very few artifacts.

I occasionally use Denoise first and then Sharpen. Sharpen definitely does better eyes than Denoise, if you can avoid the artifacts.

If I could only have one, it would definitely be Denoise.

-- hide signature --

George

gscotten's gear list:gscotten's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3
Uloo
OP Uloo Senior Member • Posts: 2,907

Thank you all so much I may get the Denoise Al. Since it's on sale right now.

Uloo's gear list:Uloo's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM +4 more
Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 21,479

Digital Nigel wrote:

rogerstpierre wrote:

The only mode that I find useful in Sharpen AI is Stabilize, which tends to add more value than artefacts.

Oddly, I get more value out of Sharpen AI Stabilize mode than I do Focus! For me, it seems even the excellent IBIS of my Olympus cameras, sometimes need a little extra help.  It is possible to create artefacts with Sharpen AI, but some artistic judgement on my part works wonders.

I think the takeaway from this is that both Sharpen and DeNoise offer a suite of tools that have SOME overlap in functionality, but they also each offer things that the other does not. They are the single two most important plugins in the Topaz line up, and I wouldn't want to do without either!

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads