Travel Lens - If you could only have one?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Rambler358
OP Rambler358 Senior Member • Posts: 1,551
Re: Travel Lens - If you could only have one?
1

After careful consideration, and with all the options suggested - I think I’m going to go with the Sony DT 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 SAM lens.  it seems to cover the bases for range while having very good IQ.  Reviews are quite favorable, and excellent copies can be found at great prices.

-- hide signature --

Ron
Torrance, CA

 Rambler358's gear list:Rambler358's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +2 more
gordonpritchard Veteran Member • Posts: 4,907
Re: Travel Lens - If you could only have one?

SDHood wrote:

Sony 18-250

It's small and I'm ready for anything.

It's maybe not good quality wise - I don't know.

But . . I'm a casual photog and picture quality isn't as important as the convenience.

That was my lens until I got the Tamron 16-300mm - which I love.

-- hide signature --

———————————————————————------
"View their gallery before accepting their comments."
———————————————————————------
My photos: http://www.gordonpritchard.blogspot.com/

 gordonpritchard's gear list:gordonpritchard's gear list
Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Sony 500mm F8 Reflex Tamron 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 52,638
Re: Travel Lens - If you could only have one?
3

Lensmate wrote:

Two to three lenses is not an issue for most some,

unless this chap is severely disabled.

That's absolutely not true. You are transferring your desires on to other people. I used to travel with an ICL camera and 3-4 lenses in a camera case but now I use an RX10iv because it's just more enjoyable and convenient. The sacrifice in IQ is minimal.

-- hide signature --

Tom

 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
Michael Fritzen Veteran Member • Posts: 6,501
Re: Travel Lens - If you could only have one?

Rambler358 wrote:

Looking for a good travel lens for my A77, something that won't break the bank. First priority is IQ, second is range. I already have the 16-50 SSM "kit lens" that I find pretty good, but is there something better - what would you choose?

In the given constraints I'd rate the 16-80 Zeiss in first place for IQ, then in second w/o a clear winner the 16-105 and the 18-135. Here it depends if you prefer wider or longer. I've owned the 16-105 and I sold it only because I went FF. More recently I added again E-Mount APS-C to my gear with the E-Mount 18-135. Not sure if it has exactly the same optical formula as the A-Mount version. While I like this lens very much (IQ, range) I sometimes wish it was wider but shooting RAW it's possible to get a bit more than 18mm.

Now for travelling purposes which means great flexibility and good IQ I think you might fare better with compact solutions like the RX100 or RX10 product lines than with a super zoom (16-300 or similar) on an APS-C body. But that's my POV.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

Rambler358
OP Rambler358 Senior Member • Posts: 1,551
Re: Travel Lens - If you could only have one?

tbcass wrote:

Lensmate wrote:

Two to three lenses is not an issue for most some,

unless this chap is severely disabled.

That's absolutely not true. You are transferring your desires on to other people. I used to travel with an ICL camera and 3-4 lenses in a camera case but now I use an RX10iv because it's just more enjoyable and convenient. The sacrifice in IQ is minimal.

Nailed it!

-- hide signature --

Ron
Torrance, CA

 Rambler358's gear list:Rambler358's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +2 more
Micheal F. Kelly Regular Member • Posts: 177
Re: Travel Lens - If you could only have one?

Beercan!

Lensmate
Lensmate Veteran Member • Posts: 6,761
Re: Travel Lens - If you could only have one?

tbcass wrote:

Lensmate wrote:

Two to three lenses is not an issue for most some,

unless this chap is severely disabled.

That's absolutely not true. You are transferring your desires on to other people. I used to travel with an ICL camera and 3-4 lenses in a camera case but now I use an RX10iv because it's just more enjoyable and convenient. The sacrifice in IQ is minimal.

Certainly its true for a good many peeps...your an older guy in late 70's and find it suits you for your age now. But there are many that are not of that age and tow along several lenses no problem. To each his own. The original poster failed to mention what he is shooting and how old he is...

-Martin P

Rambler358
OP Rambler358 Senior Member • Posts: 1,551
Re: Travel Lens - If you could only have one?
2

Lensmate wrote:

tbcass wrote:

Lensmate wrote:

Two to three lenses is not an issue for most some,

unless this chap is severely disabled.

That's absolutely not true. You are transferring your desires on to other people. I used to travel with an ICL camera and 3-4 lenses in a camera case but now I use an RX10iv because it's just more enjoyable and convenient. The sacrifice in IQ is minimal.

Certainly its true for a good many peeps...your an older guy in late 70's and find it suits you for your age now. But there are many that are not of that age and tow along several lenses no problem. To each his own. The original poster failed to mention what he is shooting and how old he is...

-Martin P

And it's also not true for a good many peeps.  I should've added that I'd be shooting mostly landscape, city, some indoor and street shots.  My post was about a one lens solution.  You telling me that I need to carry multiple lenses for what I want to do doesn't help - I know what I want to do for this, and what I don't.  And I don't want to keep switching lenses, hence the reason for this post.  If you can offer help then great, if not then don't - simple as that really.  Suggesting that I'm severely disabled (which I'm not) certainly doesn't help anything.  What works for you is not necessarily going to work for others - you should keep that in mind.

-- hide signature --

Ron
Torrance, CA

 Rambler358's gear list:Rambler358's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +2 more
Lensmate
Lensmate Veteran Member • Posts: 6,761
Re: Travel Lens - If you could only have one?

Rambler358 wrote:

Lensmate wrote:

tbcass wrote:

Lensmate wrote:

Two to three lenses is not an issue for most some,

unless this chap is severely disabled.

That's absolutely not true. You are transferring your desires on to other people. I used to travel with an ICL camera and 3-4 lenses in a camera case but now I use an RX10iv because it's just more enjoyable and convenient. The sacrifice in IQ is minimal.

Certainly its true for a good many peeps...your an older guy in late 70's and find it suits you for your age now. But there are many that are not of that age and tow along several lenses no problem. To each his own. The original poster failed to mention what he is shooting and how old he is...

-Martin P

And it's also not true for a good many peeps. I should've added that I'd be shooting mostly landscape, city, some indoor and street shots. My post was about a one lens solution. You telling me that I need to carry multiple lenses for what I want to do doesn't help - I know what I want to do for this, and what I don't. And I don't want to keep switching lenses, hence the reason for this post. If you can offer help then great, if not then don't - simple as that really. Suggesting that I'm severely disabled (which I'm not) certainly doesn't help anything. What works for you is not necessarily going to work for others - you should keep that in mind.

Cry me a river...why don't you answer a few simple questions when peeps are trying to help your situation, instead of making them guess!

Ironic how you failed to mention previous lenses that would stop peeps suggesting otherwise...

Need a bit more range - 1.4x TC or Minolta 500 Reflex?: Sony Alpha SLR/SLT A-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com)

-Martin P

John CCC Leixlip Regular Member • Posts: 101
Re: Travel Lens - If you could only have one?
1

gordonpritchard wrote:

SDHood wrote:

Sony 18-250

It's small and I'm ready for anything.

It's maybe not good quality wise - I don't know.

But . . I'm a casual photog and picture quality isn't as important as the convenience.

That was my lens until I got the Tamron 16-300mm - which I love.

I have the Sony 18-250 as well, used it as my walk-about lens on holidays a couple of years. I got mine as a refurb on eBay and the IQ is decent enough on my A68.

 John CCC Leixlip's gear list:John CCC Leixlip's gear list
Sony SLT-A68 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390 Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +6 more
Rambler358
OP Rambler358 Senior Member • Posts: 1,551
Re: Travel Lens - If you could only have one?
3

Lensmate wrote:

Rambler358 wrote:

Lensmate wrote:

tbcass wrote:

Lensmate wrote:

Two to three lenses is not an issue for most some,

unless this chap is severely disabled.

That's absolutely not true. You are transferring your desires on to other people. I used to travel with an ICL camera and 3-4 lenses in a camera case but now I use an RX10iv because it's just more enjoyable and convenient. The sacrifice in IQ is minimal.

Certainly its true for a good many peeps...your an older guy in late 70's and find it suits you for your age now. But there are many that are not of that age and tow along several lenses no problem. To each his own. The original poster failed to mention what he is shooting and how old he is...

-Martin P

And it's also not true for a good many peeps. I should've added that I'd be shooting mostly landscape, city, some indoor and street shots. My post was about a one lens solution. You telling me that I need to carry multiple lenses for what I want to do doesn't help - I know what I want to do for this, and what I don't. And I don't want to keep switching lenses, hence the reason for this post. If you can offer help then great, if not then don't - simple as that really. Suggesting that I'm severely disabled (which I'm not) certainly doesn't help anything. What works for you is not necessarily going to work for others - you should keep that in mind.

Cry me a river...why don't you answer a few simple questions when peeps are trying to help your situation, instead of making them guess!

Ironic how you failed to mention previous lenses that would stop peeps suggesting otherwise...

Need a bit more range - 1.4x TC or Minolta 500 Reflex?: Sony Alpha SLR/SLT A-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com)

-Martin P

You're crying your own river.  I did answer questions that were asked, and I was also interested in hearing what others might use for a one lens solution.

I also indicated what lenses I had on the first page of this thread.

And what's the purpose of posting a link to a thread I created that has nothing what-so-ever to do with this post?

-- hide signature --

Ron
Torrance, CA

 Rambler358's gear list:Rambler358's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +2 more
OpticsEngineer Veteran Member • Posts: 7,256
Re: Travel Lens - If you could only have one?
1

Everytime I use an ILC camera, i feel a bit silly because like you I have realized the RX10IV is just so capable and convenient.   If it weren't for wide angle lenses and fisheyes, i don't know if I could justify having any ILCs at all.

 OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Pentax *ist D +27 more
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 21,732
Re: Travel Lens - If you could only have one?

Rambler358 wrote:

Looking for a good travel lens for my A77, something that won't break the bank.

I dunno because I haven't done any traveling with my A77. I guess my travel lens would be my 10-100mm attached to my Nikon V3 (27-270mm equivalent). If I had to use the A77 it would be the Sony 18-250, resulting in a much bigger package with similar IQ overall (Sony better at the wide end in low light, Nikon better at the long end in good light). I've done comparisons.

MikeInOr
MikeInOr Senior Member • Posts: 1,421
Re: Travel Lens - If you could only have one?
1

My A77 travel kit was always my A77 plus:

Sony 16-50 F/2.8
Sigma 8-16mm
Sony 55-300mm

I could never find a way to get away with fewer lenses without loosing significant image quality. If you aren't going to be making large prints or viewing your photos on large 4K monitors (I love viewing my photos on my big 4K TV) you might find one of the superzooms like the Tamron 16-300mm very acceptable.

 MikeInOr's gear list:MikeInOr's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Sony a7R IV Sony 20mm F2.8 Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +12 more
Rambler358
OP Rambler358 Senior Member • Posts: 1,551
Re: Travel Lens - If you could only have one?

MikeInOr wrote:

My A77 travel kit was always my A77 plus:

Sony 16-50 F/2.8
Sigma 8-16mm
Sony 55-300mm

I could never find a way to get away with fewer lenses without loosing significant image quality. If you aren't going to be making large prints or viewing your photos on large 4K monitors (I love viewing my photos on my big 4K TV) you might find one of the superzooms like the Tamron 16-300mm very acceptable.

I thought about that but I already have the 16-50 and 70-300G, and I really don’t want to get a lens that duplicates the range of these. Also as IQ was my main concern for a one lens solution, I feel the 16-135 would be sufficient for range while still having better IQ than the big super zooms.

-- hide signature --

Ron
Torrance, CA

 Rambler358's gear list:Rambler358's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +2 more
Howie Dewing
Howie Dewing Junior Member • Posts: 38
Re: Travel Lens - If you could only have one?
2

Sony's 18-250 is a good one-lens-for-travel solution. Sony a77s and a few others have lens correction built into the cameras that take care of a lot of the optical challenges the 18-250 has. Beyond that, unless you're an absolute perfectionist, you'll be hard pressed to see any real imperfections with the 185-250. I've used it with remarkable success even indoors with an on-board flash with my old a350. Why risk dinging up a $1500 lens on a trip when the 18-2520 goes for $650 new?

 Howie Dewing's gear list:Howie Dewing's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a7 II Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +12 more
gordonpritchard Veteran Member • Posts: 4,907
Re: Travel Lens - If you could only have one?
1

Howie Dewing wrote:

Sony's 18-250 is a good one-lens-for-travel solution. Sony a77s and a few others have lens correction built into the cameras that take care of a lot of the optical challenges the 18-250 has. Beyond that, unless you're an absolute perfectionist, you'll be hard pressed to see any real imperfections with the 185-250. I've used it with remarkable success even indoors with an on-board flash with my old a350. Why risk dinging up a $1500 lens on a trip when the 18-2520 goes for $650 new?

Ditto. And basically ditto for the 16-300mm Tamron.

I think comments of compromised quality for those two lenses are way overstated.

-- hide signature --

———————————————————————------
"View their gallery before accepting their comments."
———————————————————————------
My photos: http://www.gordonpritchard.blogspot.com/

 gordonpritchard's gear list:gordonpritchard's gear list
Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Sony 500mm F8 Reflex Tamron 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 52,638
Re: Travel Lens - If you could only have one?
1

Lensmate wrote:

Certainly its true for a good many peeps...your an older guy in late 70's and find it suits you for your age now. But there are many that are not of that age and tow along several lenses no problem. To each his own. The original poster failed to mention what he is shooting and how old he is...

-Martin P

Actually my age has nothing to do with it because I'm in excellent shape, walk several miles a day, do some weight training and not I'm arthritic. For me it's simply for convenience. I find that when I walkaround with my A99ii and several lenses it's just time consuming and a pain in the ass to keep changing lenses. It also can result in lost opportunities for fleeting moments because I'm a walk around looking for photographic opportunities photographer. I'm also a hiker. When I carried several lenses I was constantly changing them. At any moment I may want to switch from wide angle to long telephoto. I also like to take photos of the same thing at several focal lengths. So in the end it depends on the type of photography you do. I took this photo at the top of a mountain and the trail included one spot that required pulling myself up over a large rock formations and steep climbs as shown below.

Finally at the top (my wife).

Could I have done this with my ICL and lenses in my back pack? Sure but why bother when one small camera can do the job.

-- hide signature --

Tom

 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
AttilaHUN Forum Member • Posts: 71
Re: Travel Lens - If you could only have one?

Hi,

!6-50 just perfect for travelling. I went to Kyoto few years ago and I took about 5-6 lenses with me. When I came back I saw 95% of the photos was made with this lens. Sony's 16-50 is a great lens in general, you can't buy any better for aps-c.

 AttilaHUN's gear list:AttilaHUN's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +3 more
Howie Dewing
Howie Dewing Junior Member • Posts: 38
Re: Travel Lens - If you could only have one?
1

I'm actually facing a similar situation with a different Sony camera. I recently dove into the mirrorless pool with a nice second-hand a7 II so I could use my old Minolta MC & MD Rokkors on a FF digital format, and wouldn't mind having a nice all-in-one AF for it. Yeah. I know, that's for another page on this site, but just to end y'all's suspense, Sony's FE 24-105 f/4 seems to be the frontrunner thus far. Believe me, I'm still an Alpha male and have 7 or 8 lenses spanning 10 to 300mm (equivalent, with my Minolta APO 80-200 bazooka), that get their fair share of use with my a77 II, among them a 13 year old SAL18250 that has all the lens creep of a Slinky. It's still a good go-to all-in-one that gets used when I don't feel like lugging around the SAL1650, SAL2470Z and/or that Minolta monstrosity.

 Howie Dewing's gear list:Howie Dewing's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a7 II Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads