Nikon Z DX lenses

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
London57 New Member • Posts: 21
Nikon Z DX lenses

All

Looking to buy a new mirrorless camera and having considered Sony, Nikon, Fuji, Olympus and Canon thinking about Z50. Low weight is super important. Primary use will be kid parties, park, travel etc. Ideally want to keep camera + lens < 600 gms. I tried many many lens and camera combinations and almost everything that I liked was around 500g - 550gms.

However it look like Nikon only has two Z mount DX lenses and nothing on the roadmap. I dont want to buy FX lenses as those are expensive and heavy. Ideally want

1. A 35 or 50mm F/2 prime

2. A zoom that covers 20mm to 50mm range with constant aperture of F/4

Are you guys aware of any Z mount DX lenses that might come out in the next 12 months?

Nikon Z50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dj_paige
dj_paige Senior Member • Posts: 2,666
Re: Nikon Z DX lenses

If its not on the roadmap, it's just people making guesses. Nothing you ought to depend on. The general feeling is that Nikon is focused on FX and not DX based on the roadmap.

-- hide signature --

Paige Miller

dj_paige's gear list:dj_paige's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR +1 more
rangel28 Regular Member • Posts: 443

London57 wrote:

All

Looking to buy a new mirrorless camera and having considered Sony, Nikon, Fuji, Olympus and Canon thinking about Z50. Low weight is super important. Primary use will be kid parties, park, travel etc. Ideally want to keep camera + lens < 600 gms. I tried many many lens and camera combinations and almost everything that I liked was around 500g - 550gms.

However it look like Nikon only has two Z mount DX lenses and nothing on the roadmap. I dont want to buy FX lenses as those are expensive and heavy. Ideally want

Are you guys aware of any Z mount DX lenses that might come out in the next 12 months?

The only other Z DX lens on the roadmap right now is a 18mm-140mm. Nikon has hinted that more Z lenses (not on roadmap) are coming but only they know if those are DX or FX lenses. There are also two "pancake" FX Z lenses, 28mm and 40mm, on the roadmap.

The two Z50 kit lenses are very good, as well as being small and light, and cover a wide range. You can also push the ISO higher with the Z50 and get excellent results.

beatboxa Veteran Member • Posts: 7,972

London57 wrote:

All

I think there are a few things to recognize.  The first is that F-numbers do not produce consistent results across formats due to different enlargements.

So when you say that you need a 35 or 50mm F/2 prime on DX, this would be like using a 50mm F/2.8 or 75mm F/2.8 on FX.  Similarly, when you say "a zoom that covers 20 to 50mm range with constant aperture of F/4" on DX, this would be like using a 30-75mm F/5.6 on FX.  Is this what you want?

On Nikon's roadmap is a compact & likely cheap 40mm lens, which I'm guessing will be F/2.  That covers #1.

For #2, I would suggest that Nikon's 24-50mm F/4-6.3 full frame lens (which is like an 18-33mm F/2.8-4.2 DX lens).  This lens is already available for purchase.

Both are full-frame lenses that are (or will be) very cheap and small.  So I'd recommend you get those and a Z5.  Might be slightly above your weight requirement, but they actually do (and or will) exist, and check all the other boxes.

Z-DX-CX in WA Forum Member • Posts: 60

beatboxa wrote:

For #2, I would suggest that Nikon's 24-50mm F/4-6.3 full frame lens (which is like an 18-33mm F/2.8-4.2 DX lens). This lens is already available for purchase.

Ummm, I think you got that backwards. Wouldn't the FX 24-50 lens function on the Z50 dx body like a 36-75mm lens?

Z-DX-CX in WA's gear list:Z-DX-CX in WA's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +9 more

London57, I really enjoy using my DX 35 f1.8 on my Z50 with the FTZ adapter. It is still quite light and gives a simple path to what would be considered a "normal" lens. I'm saving my pennies for a Nikon 24mm f.1.8 to get the 35mm equivalent using the FTZ adapter.

[Edit: I just noted your weight restriction. The Z50, FTZ, 35mm dx combo comes in at 795 g so I guess it won't work well for you.]

Nikon D7500 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +9 more
beatboxa Veteran Member • Posts: 7,972

Z-DX-CX in WA wrote:

beatboxa wrote:

For #2, I would suggest that Nikon's 24-50mm F/4-6.3 full frame lens (which is like an 18-33mm F/2.8-4.2 DX lens). This lens is already available for purchase.

Ummm, I think you got that backwards. Wouldn't the FX 24-50 lens function on the Z50 dx body like a 36-75mm lens?

Ummm, I do not have this backwards.  You misread what I wrote.

I am not talking about putting this 24-50mm lens on a Z50.  I am talking about putting this 24-50mm F/4-6.3 lens on a full frame body.  If you had a Z50 (a DX body), you would need an 18-33mm F/2.8-4.2 lens to produce the same results.

Ahhh, gotcha. Sorry for the confusion.

ZapperVT Senior Member • Posts: 1,435

London57 wrote:

All

I think your best bet for low weight is the newly announced Fujifilm E4 (364g) and Xf 35mm f/2 (170g).

That's a pipe dream.  Constant f/4 lenses are all bigger and heavier than your weight budget allows.

No, I think it's highly unlikely you will get what you want in Z DX.

ZapperVT's gear list:ZapperVT's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +9 more
OP London57 New Member • Posts: 21

Thank you all for your responses.

I should have clarified that for 20ish - 50ish mm f/4 I was certainly giving bigger weight allowance.

anyway I just don’t feel confident that Nikon is committed to APSC size Z mount lenses. So feels like it’s a safer bet to go with Fuji.

ZapperVT Senior Member • Posts: 1,435

London57 wrote:

Thank you all for your responses.

I should have clarified that for 20ish - 50ish mm f/4 I was certainly giving bigger weight allowance.

The Fujifilm XF 16-80 f/4 exceeds your focal range request and weighs 440g.  That's not featherweight but it's pretty good for the focal range and build quality.

anyway I just don’t feel confident that Nikon is committed to APSC size Z mount lenses. So feels like it’s a safer bet to go with Fuji.

I agree. Fujifilm is tops in APS-C. They have a full range of bodies, and a full range of lenses with the exception of long telephoto. If you ever need one of those, you can use Nikon F mount or Canon EF mount lenses with an adapter.

I was on the fence for a long time on whether to stay with APS-C and switch to Fujifilm, or to stay with Nikon and switch to FF. I ended up choosing the latter, but my kit is heavier, no doubt.

ZapperVT's gear list:ZapperVT's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads