V1 and 18.5mm lens: not latching firmly

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Z-DX-CX in WA Forum Member • Posts: 60
V1 and 18.5mm lens: not latching firmly

I've stepped back from my Nikon 1 system since putting a Z50 in my bag, but I have kept my V1, my 18.5 mm, and an FT1 adaptor. Recently I've noticed that the V1 and lens aren't securely locking together when attached. The latch engages, but if I twist the lens at all (like when putting on the lens shade), the lens decouples easily, without pressing the lens release button. Has anyone encountered anything similar and if so, can you suggest a simple fix?

(I'm not sure if the problem is on the body side or the lens side; however, I haven't noticed the problem when using the FT1, so I ma guessing it is the lens.)

Peter

Z-DX-CX in WA's gear list:Z-DX-CX in WA's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +9 more
Nikon Z50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 (Lumix DMC-FT1)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sangster Senior Member • Posts: 1,130
Re: V1 and 18.5mm lens: not latching firmly

Hi Peter, have you checked if the lens mount is damaged?

-- hide signature --

"No matter how elegant the subject, an image requires something more than a literal recording of that scene. It needs a moment a gesture or light or color to add that third dimension and make it memorable." - Annie Griffiths

Sangster's gear list:Sangster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +1 more
Paul Pasco
Paul Pasco Veteran Member • Posts: 8,852

It’s a pretty simple mechanism, a round peg engages an oblong slot in the lens. Look at the peg on the camera and see if it is extending all the way out of the body and the face of it is flat. Next check the lens and make sure there is no debris in the locking hole and that the edges are sharp.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad
WSSA Member #450

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 +26 more
OP Z-DX-CX in WA Forum Member • Posts: 60

Paul Pasco wrote:

It’s a pretty simple mechanism, a round peg engages an oblong slot in the lens. Look at the peg on the camera and see if it is extending all the way out of the body and the face of it is flat. Next check the lens and make sure there is no debris in the locking hole and that the edges are sharp.

Thank, Paul. After checking it is pretty clear that the edges on the lens mount are worn down.

The engaging peg on the camera body is flat but the edge is machined with a chamfered edge. The lens mount oblong slot is worn and sharp edged in the center of the oblong.  Comparing it to the oblong slot on the FT1 adapter makes it pretty clear now that this is the problem.

I think I will just be very cautious with mounting and unmounting the lens for now and wait to see what happens down the road.

Peter

Z-DX-CX in WA's gear list:Z-DX-CX in WA's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +9 more
Paul Pasco
Paul Pasco Veteran Member • Posts: 8,852

Z-DX-CX in WA wrote:

Paul Pasco wrote:

Thank, Paul. After checking it is pretty clear that the edges on the lens mount are worn down.

The engaging peg on the camera body is flat but the edge is machined with a chamfered edge. The lens mount oblong slot is worn and sharp edged in the center of the oblong. Comparing it to the oblong slot on the FT1 adapter makes it pretty clear now that this is the problem.

I think I will just be very cautious with mounting and unmounting the lens for now and wait to see what happens down the road.

Peter

You may be able to find a lens mount on eBay.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad
WSSA Member #450

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 +26 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads