D850 Replacement or end of the DSLR line for Nikon?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,852
Re: D850 Replacement or end of the DSLR line for Nikon?

fpapp wrote:

ericbowles wrote:

...there is little reason to stay with a DSLR other than using AF-D lenses.

Unless you're like me and you really dislike electronic viewfinders!

I was going to post a similar comment.  I don't dislike EVFs.  But I know a lot of people do.

Usually, I don't even notice the EVF on my Z 7 and Fujifilm bodies.  But I was sitting on the couch the other night just fiddling with my X-E3.  I happened to pick it up and look at the TV through the EVF.  Yuck!  One big flicker fest.  Now, to be fair to the EVF, I don't take photos of television screens.  But it did remind me that OVFs and EVFs can look different.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon D850 Fujifilm X-E3 +39 more
Rexgig0
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,094
Re: AF & AF-D Lenses, On D850

ericbowles wrote:

It's interesting how this is evolving.

The D780 is essentially a Z6 in DSLR format. It's a significant upgrade form the D750.

The D850 is similar to the Z7II, but the latter reflects a number of upgrades to AF Area modes, AF technology, and video. The D850 feels a little behind the Z7II in many areas. So a D780 type update could make sense.

The catch is the AF Eye and Animal Eye modes. The D850 is enough of an action camera, and Nikon is close enough with the technology in the Z9, that it probably makes sense to wait a little before releasing an update to the D850. If it has improvements to AF as expected via a faster readout on the sensor, it is a killer camera.

There are three potential upgrades Nikon could release following the Z9 - a mirrorless as a Z7II upgrade with action capabilities (the Z8), a D850 upgrade (a D880), or a D500 upgrade to an APS-C Mirrorless action camera (the Z90). This is a tough call. I could make an argument for any of these three cameras, but suspect the next update is a mirrorless model. If you really see a high quality action camera in mirrorless with a fast readout, there is little reason to stay with a DSLR other than using AF-D lenses.

There are some AF-D lenses that I really do like using, on a D850, especially the Zoom Micro Nikkor 70-180mm, with and without the Nikon 6T attached. The AF in the D5/D500/D850 can really make some AF and AF-D lenses sing.

-- hide signature --

By accident of availability, I learned to use Canon and Nikon DSLRs at the same time. I love specific lenses made by both Canon and Nikon, too much to quit either system. Since 2018, Leica-M has been my “mirror-less” system. I am, certainly, not an expert.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +54 more
PK24X36NOW Senior Member • Posts: 2,055

ericbowles wrote:

If you really see a high quality action camera in mirrorless with a fast readout, there is little reason to stay with a DSLR other than using AF-D lenses.

There's plenty of "reason." An OVF will always be "real time," and an EVF will never be "real time." DSLR battery life will always be better, and the less I have to worry about making sure the battery is charged, the better.

Not to mention that the EVF is an electronic part with a short path to obsolescence as the camera ages (as in, the new models will have different and likely incompatible EVF "parts"). While sensors will last quite a long time because they're only used when actually shooting, an EVF is used continuously every time you're looking through the viewfinder. That means heat buildup which is the enemy of electronics. When that EVF display goes belly up, and the "replacement parts" are no longer available, you potentially have a useless camera unless you like "cell phone style" shooting.

Some of us just don't want a mirrorless downgrade, OK? And "other than" using AF-D lenses is akin to saying "other than" using every lens (or damn near every lens) you have for many. So yes, that by itself is plenty of reason to stay with DSLRs.

thetwonk Regular Member • Posts: 271

If mirror less was a step change in technology then ok but it's more of an alternative. Yes it has better lenses in some respects but seeing as I can't tell the difference between pictures taken with F and Z lenses at normal resolutions then for me I aren't ponying up for a new system. The D850 has a glorious OVF and you might have the ability to see exposure effects of the light in ML but I prefer to think about it myself. One of the joys of using a camera is the technical challenge and the learning that goes with it. See o for me and many others judging by sales figures DSLRs are not going anywhere for the foreseeable imho

-- hide signature --

How much Grog do we have left?

thetwonk's gear list:thetwonk's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 22,248

thetwonk wrote:

If mirror less was a step change in technology

It is 

Whether the new technology is right for individual photographers is personal choice.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than anything else.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +27 more
ericbowles
ericbowles Senior Member • Posts: 1,605

PK24X36NOW wrote:

ericbowles wrote:

If you really see a high quality action camera in mirrorless with a fast readout, there is little reason to stay with a DSLR other than using AF-D lenses.

There's plenty of "reason." An OVF will always be "real time," and an EVF will never be "real time." DSLR battery life will always be better, and the less I have to worry about making sure the battery is charged, the better.

I've learned Always is not likely to be true.  The EVF time delay and any blackout is simply related to readout speed, and it's quite possible even today to deliver a fast readout for the EVF through dual pixel and line skipping readouts.  Try zooming your OVF to check focus, watch head position, or to check other details.

Battery life for DSLR cameras has tremendous variation, and the D850 battery life is nearly double the life of the same EN-EL15 battery in a D300.  The Z cameras have continued to improve battery life to the point where it's a non-issue if your camera is configured properly.

Not to mention that the EVF is an electronic part with a short path to obsolescence as the camera ages (as in, the new models will have different and likely incompatible EVF "parts"). While sensors will last quite a long time because they're only used when actually shooting, an EVF is used continuously every time you're looking through the viewfinder. That means heat buildup which is the enemy of electronics. When that EVF display goes belly up, and the "replacement parts" are no longer available, you potentially have a useless camera unless you like "cell phone style" shooting.

I don't know that I've ever heard this argument before.  I certainly have never heard of an LCD failure in the rear LCD or EVF as a result of heat or use.  In the scheme of potential sources of failure, this one is extremely unlikely.  You'll likely have other issues that cause failure far before the EVF.  I would concede that an LCD could fail under extreme cold temperatures because I have seen a laptop screen fail due to cold temperatures in Green Bay during winter about 10 years ago, but technology today makes that less likely.  Personally, I'd bet on shutter failure or focus failure far sooner than EVF failure.

Some of us just don't want a mirrorless downgrade, OK? And "other than" using AF-D lenses is akin to saying "other than" using every lens (or damn near every lens) you have for many. So yes, that by itself is plenty of reason to stay with DSLRs.

Personal choice is certainly a good reason to stick with a DSLR, specific lenses, or simply to avoid a new technology even if it's a little better.  I actually have found my old manual focus lenses are much easier to use with mirrorless, so AF-D lenses or the equivalent is less important than the benefit of easier focus with other lenses.

-- hide signature --
 ericbowles's gear list:ericbowles's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +25 more
dave gaines
dave gaines Veteran Member • Posts: 9,621
D850, FX lenses and an Optimist's viewpoint

ericbowles wrote:

... I could make an argument for any of these three cameras, but suspect the next update is a mirrorless model. If you really see a high quality action camera in mirrorless with a fast readout, there is little reason to stay with a DSLR other than using AF-D lenses.

Not just the D lenses but the G and E lenses too. Sure, you can use the adapter to put a G or E lens on a Z camera, but who wants to invest in another system when a lot of your gear is adapted to FX lenses and DSLR bodies? Consider the electronic shutter release, the dual macro flash system, the ES-2 slide and film copier, etc. Not to mention the cost of a new camera. And eventually you'd be buying the more expensive Z system, or S, lenses.

I have 14 or more really good FX lenses that I want to keep using.

It's better to be optimistic about DSLRs and not buy into this notion that we're all going to empty our wallets to buy mirrorless Z bodies and S lenses. Tell Nikon you don't like bait and switch (We gotcha, now change systems). I've been through that with Olympus and it is not good.

-- hide signature --

Dave - Be safe. Stay Healthy.

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
yray
yray Senior Member • Posts: 2,396
Re: D850, FX lenses and an Optimist's viewpoint

dave gaines wrote:

ericbowles wrote:

... I could make an argument for any of these three cameras, but suspect the next update is a mirrorless model. If you really see a high quality action camera in mirrorless with a fast readout, there is little reason to stay with a DSLR other than using AF-D lenses.

Not just the D lenses but the G and E lenses too. Sure, you can use the adapter to put a G or E lens on a Z camera, but who wants to invest in another system when a lot of your gear is adapted to FX lenses and DSLR bodies? Consider the electronic shutter release, the dual macro flash system, the ES-2 slide and film copier, etc. Not to mention the cost of a new camera. And eventually you'd be buying the more expensive Z system, or S, lenses.

I have 14 or more really good FX lenses that I want to keep using.

It's better to be optimistic about DSLRs and not buy into this notion that we're all going to empty our wallets to buy mirrorless Z bodies and S lenses. Tell Nikon you don't like bait and switch (We gotcha, now change systems). I've been through that with Olympus and it is not good.

OVF aside, this is probably the main point for those of us with non-trivial investment in F-mount. The cost/benefit is simply not there, and there’s no sensible way around it that I can see. Besides, even though an argument is often made that ML is a better system, I see not so much a better system as simply a different one, sidegrade more than an upgrade. Of course any new developments will be happening on the Z side, but if one is happy with DSLRs, it is almost beside the point. At least for the foreseeable future.

Jay Paul H Regular Member • Posts: 380

fpapp wrote:

ericbowles wrote:

...there is little reason to stay with a DSLR other than using AF-D lenses.

Unless you're like me and you really dislike electronic viewfinders!

Dammit. You had to bring that up. I like my Z6 and Z7, I just prefer an optical viewfinder. Cannot explain why. Maybe I need a rangefinder?

Jay Paul H's gear list:Jay Paul H's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J1 +46 more
T O Shooter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,323

ericbowles wrote:

PK24X36NOW wrote:

ericbowles wrote:

I've learned Always is not likely to be true. The EVF time delay and any blackout is simply related to readout speed, and it's quite possible even today to deliver a fast readout for the EVF through dual pixel and line skipping readouts. Try zooming your OVF to check focus, watch head position, or to check other details.

Battery life for DSLR cameras has tremendous variation, and the D850 battery life is nearly double the life of the same EN-EL15 battery in a D300. The Z cameras have continued to improve battery life to the point where it's a non-issue if your camera is configured properly.

I don't know that I've ever heard this argument before. I certainly have never heard of an LCD failure in the rear LCD or EVF as a result of heat or use. In the scheme of potential sources of failure, this one is extremely unlikely. You'll likely have other issues that cause failure far before the EVF. I would concede that an LCD could fail under extreme cold temperatures because I have seen a laptop screen fail due to cold temperatures in Green Bay during winter about 10 years ago, but technology today makes that less likely. Personally, I'd bet on shutter failure or focus failure far sooner than EVF failure.

Personal choice is certainly a good reason to stick with a DSLR, specific lenses, or simply to avoid a new technology even if it's a little better. I actually have found my old manual focus lenses are much easier to use with mirrorless, so AF-D lenses or the equivalent is less important than the benefit of easier focus with other lenses.

Let's take all your points

1. The EVF time delay and any blackout is simply related to readout speed,

I don't see EVF delay as a problem for me. Even if EVFs are not "there" yet, it will be at some point. There's no reason for me to be a beta tester.

2. The Z cameras have continued to improve battery life to the point where it's a non-issue

Would not be a problem for me. Batteries continue to get better, I could carry an extra couple. A non issue.

3. I certainly have never heard of an LCD failure in the rear LCD or EVF as a result of heat or use. In the scheme of potential sources of failure, this one is extremely unlikely. You'll likely have other issues that cause failure far before the EVF.

Not something I would be concerned with. If mirrorless was so much better and I needed something from it, I wouldn't consider this a big risk.

4. Personal choice is certainly a good reason to stick with a DSLR, specific lenses, or simply to avoid a new technology even if it's a little better.

See below.

5. I actually have found my old manual focus lenses are much easier to use with mirrorless, so AF-D lenses or the equivalent is less important than the benefit of easier focus with other lenses.

Nikon did not implement the use of f mount manual focus lenses very well, and AF-D to focus not implemented at all. I think "easier focus with other lenses" is splitting hairs. But.......... I have one or two manual focus Nikkors and no AF-D lenses, so not an issue for me.

But the problem I have (re: your #4) with ML is that my D4s, D850 and D500 are all better than "good enough" Further to that, I have no interest in spending thousands and thousands of dollars to migrate to a system that at best is marginally better in some areas. I will not use an FTZ to use f mount lenses on an ML body, and the truth of it is that most if not all Zee lenses can be duplicated IQ wise in f mount. Sigma 40 Art is a prime example (pun or no pun - you decide)

If the Z9 is what it "might be" from the rumours, I'd consider a used one in a couple of years time, IF it had an f mount.

ML technology will keep getting "pushed" as 1. There's more $$$ for the manufacturer as they're a toy to build and it seems can be sold for more money than a more expensive to build DSLR, and 2. Canon and Nikon are doomed to have to follow Sony, whether due to product or brand recognition. But a lot of the new stuff is just additional bells and whistles to start with.

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------
I enjoy my Nikon gear. But as has been pointed out to me "it’s a declining, decaying system based upon ancient technology" Funny that, never noticed.

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +5 more
thetwonk Regular Member • Posts: 271

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

thetwonk wrote:

If mirror less was a step change in technology

It is

Whether the new technology is right for individual photographers is personal choice.

Personally I don't think it is, its more of a marketing ploy by Sony who couldn't sell their DSLRs. The sensor is largely the same in both systems. The M/L AF has now migrated to the D780 and IBIS may follow into DSLRs. What's left is EVF v OVF and Z v F lenses. I think people have got used to the 2 year upgrade cycle that marked the Digital age in the 2000s and M/L facilitates that imho.

-- hide signature --

How much Grog do we have left?

thetwonk's gear list:thetwonk's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G
MoreorLess Veteran Member • Posts: 4,822
Re: D850 still on sale from Nikon

dave gaines wrote:

The D850 is still on sale for $500 off. That's the second time in 6 months these have been on sale for this price. B&H has run out of stock and is expecting more in 2-4 weeks. Nikon USA apparently still has them for sale for the same price. Samy's Camera in Los Angeles still shows them as available for the same $2500 price with a package of extras thrown in.

If Nikon were going to discontinue the D8XX line of cameras there would be no reason to mark the D850 down by $500. They can sell these great cameras 'til the cows come home.

The D780, D750, D500 and D7500 are also on sale at Samy's for similar percentages off of the original price. I don't know what to make of that?

Big discounts on a camera model is usually a precursor to releasing an upgrade or replacement camera for that model.

I mean that is worth pointing out, DSLR's are in decline relative to mirrorless but not to anything like the degree a lot of media hype would have you believe. Theres obviously not that much role for the media based on hyping new products with  relatively old cameras though.

With the D850 especially I think you saw Nikon throw pretty much everything at it they could which meant that there wasn't a great deal to be grained from a mid product life upgrade bar video performance which isn't a big market for their DSLRs anyway.

So I'm not surprised there wasnt a D810 like upgrade mid product and if there is at all I suspect it will be when/if Nikon get that 6p MP sensor from Sony. I wouldn't be surprised if its released on a mirrorless body first though and then perhaps on a DSLR?

Robert Cohen
Robert Cohen Veteran Member • Posts: 4,446

>> there wasn't a great deal to be grained from a mid product life upgrade bar video performance which isn't a big market for their DSLRs anyway. <<

This becomes something of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Assuming, for argument's sake, that there is a market for better video than the Nikon DSLRs produce, the D850 could be upgraded by adding video technology from the Z line, as they did when upgrading the D750 to the D780. Then the D880 (assuming that's what they would call it) would be more attractive for video shooters.

This wouldn't make much difference to me, I'm a stills shooter. But right now Nikon is discouraging sales to people who might also be interested in video.

-- hide signature --

--Bob

Robert Cohen's gear list:Robert Cohen's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +5 more
NCB Senior Member • Posts: 1,992

T O Shooter wrote:

ericbowles wrote:

PK24X36NOW wrote:

ericbowles wrote:

I've learned Always is not likely to be true. The EVF time delay and any blackout is simply related to readout speed, and it's quite possible even today to deliver a fast readout for the EVF through dual pixel and line skipping readouts. Try zooming your OVF to check focus, watch head position, or to check other details.

Battery life for DSLR cameras has tremendous variation, and the D850 battery life is nearly double the life of the same EN-EL15 battery in a D300. The Z cameras have continued to improve battery life to the point where it's a non-issue if your camera is configured properly.

I don't know that I've ever heard this argument before. I certainly have never heard of an LCD failure in the rear LCD or EVF as a result of heat or use. In the scheme of potential sources of failure, this one is extremely unlikely. You'll likely have other issues that cause failure far before the EVF. I would concede that an LCD could fail under extreme cold temperatures because I have seen a laptop screen fail due to cold temperatures in Green Bay during winter about 10 years ago, but technology today makes that less likely. Personally, I'd bet on shutter failure or focus failure far sooner than EVF failure.

Personal choice is certainly a good reason to stick with a DSLR, specific lenses, or simply to avoid a new technology even if it's a little better. I actually have found my old manual focus lenses are much easier to use with mirrorless, so AF-D lenses or the equivalent is less important than the benefit of easier focus with other lenses.

Let's take all your points

1. The EVF time delay and any blackout is simply related to readout speed,

I don't see EVF delay as a problem for me. Even if EVFs are not "there" yet, it will be at some point. There's no reason for me to be a beta tester.

2. The Z cameras have continued to improve battery life to the point where it's a non-issue

Would not be a problem for me. Batteries continue to get better, I could carry an extra couple. A non issue.

3. I certainly have never heard of an LCD failure in the rear LCD or EVF as a result of heat or use. In the scheme of potential sources of failure, this one is extremely unlikely. You'll likely have other issues that cause failure far before the EVF.

Not something I would be concerned with. If mirrorless was so much better and I needed something from it, I wouldn't consider this a big risk.

4. Personal choice is certainly a good reason to stick with a DSLR, specific lenses, or simply to avoid a new technology even if it's a little better.

See below.

5. I actually have found my old manual focus lenses are much easier to use with mirrorless, so AF-D lenses or the equivalent is less important than the benefit of easier focus with other lenses.

Nikon did not implement the use of f mount manual focus lenses very well, and AF-D to focus not implemented at all. I think "easier focus with other lenses" is splitting hairs. But.......... I have one or two manual focus Nikkors and no AF-D lenses, so not an issue for me.

But the problem I have (re: your #4) with ML is that my D4s, D850 and D500 are all better than "good enough" Further to that, I have no interest in spending thousands and thousands of dollars to migrate to a system that at best is marginally better in some areas. I will not use an FTZ to use f mount lenses on an ML body, and the truth of it is that most if not all Zee lenses can be duplicated IQ wise in f mount. Sigma 40 Art is a prime example (pun or no pun - you decide)

If the Z9 is what it "might be" from the rumours, I'd consider a used one in a couple of years time, IF it had an f mount.

ML technology will keep getting "pushed" as 1. There's more $$$ for the manufacturer as they're a toy to build and it seems can be sold for more money than a more expensive to build DSLR, and 2. Canon and Nikon are doomed to have to follow Sony, whether due to product or brand recognition. But a lot of the new stuff is just additional bells and whistles to start with.

Fair enough points. If you're happy with what the system you've invested in does there's no need at all to change.

Me, maybe there was a slight case of GAS. A few years ago my go to camera was a D3100. I shoot entirely landscapes, and it was totally reliable and predictable, and delivered great results. The limitations didn't affect me. I did try a D5500 and one or two other options, but they didn't give me any more and I moved them on.

Then the Df came out. FF, and the sort of interface I drooled after (I'm from a film background). Got it and never regretted it. It got me into FF and I already had some lenses I could use.

I was very unlikely to buy another FF camera, say a D750. Why should I? For my purposes it didn't give me any more. If I was going to buy another camera it had to be different, something which really gave me something new and interesting. When rumours of Nikon ML came I mentally worked out what they needed to do to attract my attention, things like a top level EVF, great ergonomics, reasonably light and compact, and so on. Nikon delivered and so I bought. A new toy to play with.

Never regretted it. It's been fun. One thing I hadn't factored in was how good the lenses were. The Z6 + 24-70 f4 S is a great package. So, a sort of GAS. I suspect others bought simply to see what it's like. I haven't sold my F mount stuff and currently have no intention to do so.

If I had a D850, I might still have tried Z, but I suspect not as a D850 replacement. I'd be surprised if Nikon didn't produce a successor. The interest would be there. They want to keep those users.

NCB's gear list:NCB's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon D3100 Nikon Df Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 +1 more
MoreorLess Veteran Member • Posts: 4,822

Robert Cohen wrote:

>> there wasn't a great deal to be grained from a mid product life upgrade bar video performance which isn't a big market for their DSLRs anyway. <<

This becomes something of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Assuming, for argument's sake, that there is a market for better video than the Nikon DSLRs produce, the D850 could be upgraded by adding video technology from the Z line, as they did when upgrading the D750 to the D780. Then the D880 (assuming that's what they would call it) would be more attractive for video shooters.

This wouldn't make much difference to me, I'm a stills shooter. But right now Nikon is discouraging sales to people who might also be interested in video.

I'm guessing to Nikon though when they have the Z-line catering to it already that becomes much less urgent.

If we do get an update of the D850 I'm guessing it will carry as much of the video tech of the Z-line as possible(well maybe less than an Z9 but as much as a Z7/Z6) but I'm not surprised it hasn't been updated just to include that.

I suspect if we get an update it will only be when it can include a higher resolution sensor.

Craftsman70 Contributing Member • Posts: 512

Robert Cohen wrote:

I believe Nikon learned a valuable lesson on the release of the D780.  Nikon put a lot of upgraded technology and money into the D780 over D750 but didn't get much credit from it from the critics nor did they get much appreciation from the still shooter community (ie those D750 and D850 owners).  As such, Nikon is probably assuming that an updated D850 (aka D880) will receive a similar reception to that of the D780.  So, from Nikon's view, why bother right now?

Craftsman70's gear list:Craftsman70's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7200 Nikon D780 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +9 more
Robert Cohen
Robert Cohen Veteran Member • Posts: 4,446

I have no idea what kind of reception the D780 received.  I doubt one can go by comments here on dpreview as this is not likely to be a representative sample of the camera-buying public.

-- hide signature --

--Bob

Robert Cohen's gear list:Robert Cohen's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +5 more
mais51
mais51 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,739

Craftsman70 wrote:

Robert Cohen wrote:

I believe Nikon learned a valuable lesson on the release of the D780. Nikon put a lot of upgraded technology and money into the D780 over D750 but didn't get much credit from it from the critics nor did they get much appreciation from the still shooter community (ie those D750 and D850 owners). As such, Nikon is probably assuming that an updated D850 (aka D880) will receive a similar reception to that of the D780. So, from Nikon's view, why bother right now?

What ever they've done the D780 is still a second tier camera playing catch up to the D850 and deserves the appropriate comment associated with that level

mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G +7 more
ericbowles
ericbowles Senior Member • Posts: 1,605

mais51 wrote:

Craftsman70 wrote:

What ever they've done the D780 is still a second tier camera playing catch up to the D850 and deserves the appropriate comment associated with that level

Actually the D850 is a high resolution camera and the D780 is a standard resolution camera with improved focus area modes, an updated sensor, improved video, better bluetooth and wifi, and a number of other benefits.  It's a significant up date to the D750 - essentially a Z6 in a DSLR body with dual cards.  The D750 in comparison was an economy model that lacked some of the upper end features - frame rate, buffer depth, etc.

There are a lot of updates needed in a D850 successor based on today's market and competitive landscape.

-- hide signature --
 ericbowles's gear list:ericbowles's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +25 more
mais51
mais51 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,739

ericbowles wrote:

mais51 wrote:

Craftsman70 wrote:

Actually the D850 is a high resolution camera and the D780 is a standard resolution camera with improved focus area modes, an updated sensor, improved video, better bluetooth and wifi, and a number of other benefits. It's a significant up date to the D750 - essentially a Z6 in a DSLR body with dual cards. The D750 in comparison was an economy model that lacked some of the upper end features - frame rate, buffer depth, etc.

There are a lot of updates needed in a D850 successor based on today's market and competitive landscape.

D750 was 5 years old camera with 5 years old technology so it was updated in 2020  with the D780

Today D850 is only 4 years old so in Nikon universe still a relatively new camera - Nikon normally only update their cameras after 5 years so we would expect a D850 replacement/update in 2022 Covid-19 permitted.

mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads