D850 Replacement or end of the DSLR line for Nikon?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Greg23D Regular Member • Posts: 121
Re: D850 Replacement or end of the DSLR line for Nikon?

Hi

I guess the answer is 'who knows'.  Covid has slowed down sales in every luxury brand and type as well as more photographers moving to mirrorless systems.  I'm not interested in mirrorless for personal reasons but I'd like to know what the real trend is.  I know demand was high for the R5/6, but was manufacturing capacity maxed or was it limited due to Covid.  There are shortages in electronics in other areas like PS5's.

What I do know is that Canon has the R5 with a rumoured top tier mirrorless camera coming, and we have a bevy of Sony cameras and now the alpha 1.  What does Nikon have?  the z6/z7 and ii variations, plus z5 and a z50.  Great cameras but they don't set the world on fire like the d750 or d850 have done.   We Know Nikon has a stack of money but they can't keep on making losses without new products for people to buy, which they can't due to a lack of job security from the pandemic.

I do hope they bring out a successor to the D850 as there are a lot of F mount lens users and lenses to choose from and Nikon can hang on to the DSLR market for longer.  But I hope more that they bring out a mirrorless class of cameras to put them ahead or level with the market leaders and do it soon before more people invest in other systems.

Just my thoughts.

Greg

Greg23D's gear list:Greg23D's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Canon RF 24-105mm F4.0-7.1 IS STM
DocOnTheSpot New Member • Posts: 16

I own a D810 and happy with it, also familiar with the D850 specification.

The only way the D850 can be improved in my book is to have a bigger sensor say 80 MP

However the problem with that, apart from the Nikon FF  28mm lens, there are no other lenses in the Nikon line up to have adequate resolving power.

so that makes me think they might go Medium Format, if they do it will be interesting to see how it compares with other medium format cameras.

They would be up for a new range of lenses obviously to go with that.

Vincent O'Sullivan Regular Member • Posts: 428
Nobody knows.

TheNikonKnight wrote:

I have heard rumors...

Does anyone have any validity to either of these rumors...

Rumours are what you get when there's no information.  When information becomes available, you can be sure it'll be all over the forums.

hypercore360 Senior Member • Posts: 1,677

So, you're saying you heard some rumors, and you want confirmation of those rumors, here?

TheNikonKnight wrote:

I have heard rumors of a Nikon D850 replacement as well as other conflicting rumors that the D850 could be the end of the DSLR line for Nikon.

Does anyone have any validity to either of these rumors or could shed any light either way on this subject?

Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 22,464

If there is to be a replacement my speculation is no announcement of a D850 upgrade development this year.

Covid in general, significant current Covid issues in Japan and circuit board shortages is likely to make it difficult for Nikon to deliver what they expected 3-6 months ago.

In the medium term the indicated Z9 and around 12 new Z mount lenses are likely to be considered a greater priority by Nikon than a D850 upgrade.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than anything else.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR +23 more
stratman1976
stratman1976 Senior Member • Posts: 1,129

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

If there is to be a replacement my speculation is no announcement of a D850 upgrade development this year.

Covid in general, significant current Covid issues in Japan and circuit board shortages is likely to make it difficult for Nikon to deliver what they expected 3-6 months ago.

In the medium term the indicated Z9 and around 12 new Z mount lenses are likely to be considered a greater priority by Nikon than a D850 upgrade.

Yes, my guess would be that's very likely. People who need good video will migrate towards a Z6(II) anyway as it's cheaper. Otherwise, as a DSLR, the D850 is still hard to beat (apart from IBIS obviously and live view IMO)

stratman1976's gear list:stratman1976's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D850 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-E4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +13 more
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 264

DSLRs are today's floppy disc. Companies like Nikon would be well advised to leave the vestigial technology behind and focus on the future of photography.

photonut2008
photonut2008 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,427

TheGrilledCheese wrote:

DSLRs are today's floppy disc.

That's a flawed analogy. My computer won't work with floppy discs even if they still work, but my lenses will work with my DSLR for as long as the DSLR works.

-- hide signature --

DPR, where gear is king and photography merely a jester

photonut2008's gear list:photonut2008's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +16 more
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 264

photonut2008 wrote:

TheGrilledCheese wrote:

That's a flawed analogy. My computer won't work with floppy discs even if they still work, but my lenses will work with my DSLR for as long as the DSLR works.

Supporting old, outdated tech is a drag on a company's bottom line and R&D that would be better spent developing more competitive mirrorless products and platforms. Nikon should especially focus on consolidating its camera lineup to as few models as absolutely necessary.

photonut2008
photonut2008 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,427

TheGrilledCheese wrote:

photonut2008 wrote:

TheGrilledCheese wrote:

Supporting old, outdated tech is a drag on a company's bottom line and R&D that would be better spent developing more competitive mirrorless products and platforms.

The D850 is not "old" and "outdated." Today it's one of the best cameras available and does many things very capably. Selling them makes Nikon money, and there's more money to be made selling them and an updated version too, even if only for a short time (no camera ever made, or more broadly speaking no technology, has been permanently state-of-the-art), so I think your writing it off right now is premature.

Nikon probably would make an updated D850 just as they made an updated D750 and D5, but there is a severe global shortage of microchips (which includes the sensors in the cameras) so Nikon can't even make as many Z camera models as they can sell right now. Heck, Nikon was still actively selling F6 cameras until last October even though by the time they discontinued it they had practically made it obsolete with the D3 which became widely available in 2010.

Anyway, I'm not armchair quarterbacking how Nikon should run their business. They are actually doing pretty well right now both in terms of their creditworthiness and their product line which are mostly excellent to great products if you can buy them.

Nikon should especially focus on consolidating its camera lineup to as few models as absolutely necessary.

I would say they should optimize their line-up to sell as many cameras and lenses while making a good profit on them. Small iterations of the D3000 series and 18-55 kit lenses strike me as excessive churning. Here's the thing though, doing that doesn't drain R&D much, which makes linking R&D to that a flawed analysis of what Nikon may or may not be doing wrong.

-- hide signature --

DPR, where gear is king and photography merely a jester

photonut2008's gear list:photonut2008's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +16 more
yray
yray Senior Member • Posts: 2,417

TheGrilledCheese wrote:

photonut2008 wrote:

TheGrilledCheese wrote:

Supporting old, outdated tech is a drag on a company's bottom line and R&D that would be better spent developing more competitive mirrorless products and platforms. Nikon should especially focus on consolidating its camera lineup to as few models as absolutely necessary.

The main problem for Nikon (and other camera makers) is that there have been so many very good cameras and lenses made and sold already that it is a tough sell to get people to upgrade no matter what they bring to the market. With the obvious exception of those who have to have the newest tech and have to have it now. Outside of DPReview forums these folks are likely a small minority.

dave gaines
dave gaines Veteran Member • Posts: 9,664
D850 still on sale from Nikon

The D850 is still on sale for $500 off. That's the second time in 6 months these have been on sale for this price. B&H has run out of stock and is expecting more in 2-4 weeks. Nikon USA apparently still has them for sale for the same price. Samy's Camera in Los Angeles still shows them as available for the same $2500 price with a package of extras thrown in.

If Nikon were going to discontinue the D8XX line of cameras there would be no reason to mark the D850 down by $500. They can sell these great cameras 'til the cows come home.

The D780, D750, D500 and D7500 are also on sale at Samy's for similar percentages off of the original price. I don't know what to make of that?

Big discounts on a camera model is usually a precursor to releasing an upgrade or replacement camera for that model.

-- hide signature --

Dave - Be safe. Stay Healthy.

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
dave gaines
dave gaines Veteran Member • Posts: 9,664
Unbiased comparison of D850 to Z7II and everything else

For an unbiased comparison of the Nikon D850 to the Z7II, as well as the top cameras from 6 other brands for landscape photography and video see this article here on dpreview.

If you want to shoot landscapes, sports, events and/or any photos in still photography the D850 is the best camera on the market. If you want to shoot video with compromises on focus for stills the Z7II is the top pick. Either way, it looks like Nikon has the two best cameras on the market, given the pros and cons of each camera listed here.

Medium format camera$ like the Fujifilm GFX 100$ are not included in this comparison. Only FF and APS-C formats.

Best cameras for landscape photography in 2021: Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com)

-- hide signature --

Dave - Be safe. Stay Healthy.

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
Craftsman70 Contributing Member • Posts: 581

TheGrilledCheese wrote:

DSLRs are today's floppy disc. Companies like Nikon would be well advised to leave the vestigial technology behind and focus on the future of photography.

Also, one of the MAJOR reasons why floppy disc are gone is because the size of the programs typically stored on those discs were huge in comparison to the storage available on the disk forcing the program to use a box or three just for one program. The same thing happened to their successor, the CD-ROM, just before hight speed internet caused the removable media downfall.

DSLRs don't have such a constraint at this point in time.  Really the only thing pushing DSLRs out the door is the desire for some people to have the latest.

Craftsman70's gear list:Craftsman70's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7200 Nikon D780 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +10 more
fpapp
fpapp Senior Member • Posts: 1,144

photonut2008 wrote:

Nikon was still actively selling F6 cameras until last October even though by the time they discontinued it they had practically made it obsolete with the D3 which became widely available in 2010.

I love my F6! Amazing camera! I also like my D500 and D850 with their optical viewfinders and the fact that all three cameras use the same lenses!

Z mount lenses are useless on my F6, and I don't like electronic viewfinders. I won't be buying anything "Z". I want OVF and I'm too heavily invested in F mount glass.

fpapp's gear list:fpapp's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P340 Nikon Coolpix A1000 Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon D5600 +64 more
yray
yray Senior Member • Posts: 2,417

fpapp wrote:

photonut2008 wrote:

Nikon was still actively selling F6 cameras until last October even though by the time they discontinued it they had practically made it obsolete with the D3 which became widely available in 2010.

I love my F6! Amazing camera! I also like my D500 and D850 with their optical viewfinders and the fact that all three cameras use the same lenses!

Z mount lenses are useless on my F6, and I don't like electronic viewfinders. I won't be buying anything "Z". I want OVF and I'm too heavily invested in F mount glass.

I have a different set of bodies but the same exact sentiments as regards OVF and F mount glass.

PK24X36NOW Senior Member • Posts: 2,055

DocOnTheSpot wrote:

I own a D810 and happy with it, also familiar with the D850 specification.

The only way the D850 can be improved in my book is to have a bigger sensor say 80 MP

However the problem with that, apart from the Nikon FF 28mm lens, there are no other lenses in the Nikon line up to have adequate resolving power.

Sorry, but this is nonsense. A D850 will provide better results from every F-mount lens you own, and a higher resolution camera more so. Resolution is the product of lens resolution and sensor resolution. There's no sensor that "outresolves lenses," the people who profit from "equipment churn" have been selling that manure since 12-ish megapixel FF cameras first came out.

so that makes me think they might go Medium Format, if they do it will be interesting to see how it compares with other medium format cameras.

They would be up for a new range of lenses obviously to go with that.

PK24X36NOW Senior Member • Posts: 2,055

TheGrilledCheese wrote:

Mirrorless cameras are today's battery powered electric cars - the only way to sell them to DSLR owners is to cram them down their throats by taking away the other, better options.

ericbowles
ericbowles Senior Member • Posts: 1,619

It's interesting how this is evolving.

The D780 is essentially a Z6 in DSLR format.  It's a significant upgrade form the D750.

The D850 is similar to the Z7II, but the latter reflects a number of upgrades to AF Area modes, AF technology, and video.  The D850 feels a little behind the Z7II in many areas.  So a D780 type update could make sense.

The catch is the AF Eye and Animal Eye modes.  The D850 is enough of an action camera, and Nikon is close enough with the technology in the Z9, that it probably makes sense to wait a little before releasing an update to the D850.  If it has improvements to AF as expected via a faster readout on the sensor, it is a killer camera.

There are three potential upgrades Nikon could release following the Z9 - a  mirrorless as a Z7II upgrade with action capabilities (the Z8), a D850 upgrade (a D880), or a D500 upgrade to an APS-C Mirrorless action camera (the Z90).  This is a tough call.  I could make an argument for any of these three cameras, but suspect the next update is a mirrorless model.  If you really see a high quality action camera in mirrorless with a fast readout, there is little reason to stay with a DSLR other than using AF-D lenses.

-- hide signature --
 ericbowles's gear list:ericbowles's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +25 more
fpapp
fpapp Senior Member • Posts: 1,144

ericbowles wrote:

...there is little reason to stay with a DSLR other than using AF-D lenses.

Unless you're like me and you really dislike electronic viewfinders!

fpapp's gear list:fpapp's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P340 Nikon Coolpix A1000 Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon D5600 +64 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads