Lens thoughts after having the X-T3 for a year

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
tjinsd
tjinsd Regular Member • Posts: 193
Lens thoughts after having the X-T3 for a year

Ive been using the X-T3 for a year now, and have tried out a number of lenses.  Of the Fuji brand lenses, i tried:

27mm Pancake (i)     Didnt care for it and promptly sold it.  In particular, i hate not having an aperture ring.  I concluded id never get one again that didnt have one.  It also was one of the first lenses i used with this camera... and was still learning the settings.  So a lot of bad shots, which i believe were operator error and not the lens.  Might be curious to try the new version when available... depending on the 35mm.

16mm 1.4     Amazing lens.  I didnt expect to like this lens nearly as much as i do, and i use it a lot.

56mm 1.2     Great lens.  Bought it on its reputation, and not disappointed.  Havent been using it as much as i would have thought... in part because i have three little girls, and its too tight to get them all in frame (indoors.  Outdoors no problem).  Its a keeper for now, but unsure of its future.  In part because i got the brick, and its so awesome.

16-55     This lens is so wonderful.  Anyone new to the system needs to try this lens out.  Im normally a prime guy, but this lens is just so addictive.

50-230    Very affordable lens, with a good range, and more than acceptable quality for the price.

90mm     I just listed this for sale.  Sharp and great quality, but its a tough focal length to use to for me.  Not close enough for many things, and too long for others.

So my go-to lenses right now are he 16mm and the 16-55 (and Mitakon 35mm when in he mood!).  I plan to get either the 23mm or the 35mm 1.4.... but havent been able to decide which of the two to get.  Leaning toward the 35mm...

i also had and sold the Kamlan 50mm ii (sold it when i got the 56mm).... but regret selling it a little.  Was a fun lens and have a number of great shots from it.

tjinsd's gear list:tjinsd's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm 50-230mm Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +2 more
Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tom Schum
Tom Schum Forum Pro • Posts: 11,079
Re: Lens thoughts after having the X-T3 for a year

Nice post!  I've had my X-T3 for a couple years now, but have discovered I really prefer the rangefinder style, and my X-E1 is getting the most exercise these days.

I like my Mitakon 35mm F0.95 II as you do, and intend to keep it.  Something precocious and delightful about this lens!

I have both KamLan 50mm F1.1 versions, and I prefer the Mark I.  The Mark II is optically much better but the Mark I is small and light, with lots of vintage character (vignetting, corner blur, apparent lack of pindot sharpness, all very vintage).  I can't seem to get it off my camera these days.

I've spent a lot of time playing with legacy tele primes, basically 135mm, most of them.  It seems I get tired of these quickly but the pricing is usually low.

Have you any thoughts about other non-Fuji lenses you've been using?

Compared to me, you have quite a few Fuji lenses.  I just have one, the 50mm F2 WR.  I only keep it because it allows me to shoot in the rain, or at family events when I need fast autofocus.  It is a very sharp lens.  Maybe too sharp, but the KamLan 50mm Mark II is every bit as sharp too.

I had a Fuji 18-55 but it developed a problem with a small white flake that appeared stuck to the inside of the rear element.  After two-three years sitting in a drawer that flake fell off back inside the lens and all was OK.  This was very weird.  Anyway, I wasn't tremendously enjoying the lens.  It was quite competent but not particularly fun.  It's hard to put my finger on this but maybe you know what I mean here.

Also, I felt the same way about my Fuji 23mm F1.4.  Very competent but...

I replaced it with a Rokinon/Samyang 21mm F1.4.  Again, very competent but...  In this case I still have this lens and still use it occasionally.  It is every bit the equal to the Fuji 23 optically though.  For me, manual focus and manual aperture are much more fun to shoot than the electronic lenses that do it all for you.

This is how it goes.  You will "resonate" with some gear, and not so much with other gear.  It's normal, but a nice part of the journey too.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum
Copper: Mankind's favorite electrical conductor

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic ZS100 Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma sd Quattro +15 more
Tom Schum
KamLan 50mm F1.1 Mark I shot

Definitely not a lens for everybody!

Focus in center.  About F5.  Grain added in Exposure X6 after downsizing to HD, maybe a tad too much!  Notice the corner blurring.  I find the slight vignetting pleasant.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Fujifilm X30 Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic ZS100 Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma sd Quattro +15 more
OmarCCX
OmarCCX Regular Member • Posts: 440

My kit's just about completed since my wife bought the 23mm 1.4 and the 35mm .95. I got the Samyang 12mm, Voigtlander 15mm (need those sunstars and I like 21mm a lot) and the 56mm. I like all of these except the 23mm 1.4. It's just loud and annoying to use to me. I'd replace it with a Viltrox if my wife let me.

The only lenses left on my purchase list are the unreleased 18mm 1.4 and the 35mm 1.4.

My issue right now is I'm body less, so I've been using my wife's X-T2. I was gonna get an X-E4, but after renting the X-E3, I came to the conclusion I need a body with more buttons and a bigger EVF. But man that Xpro3 in durablack is expensive so I'm weighing my options slowly. 2 years is a long time to wait for an X-Pro4 with IBIS sadly.

OmarCCX's gear list:OmarCCX's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +1 more
tjinsd
OP tjinsd Regular Member • Posts: 193

Tom Schum wrote:

I've spent a lot of time playing with legacy tele primes, basically 135mm, most of them. It seems I get tired of these quickly but the pricing is usually low.

Have you any thoughts about other non-Fuji lenses you've been using?

Hey Tom...

Yes, i have the SMC Takumar (six element version) that i use from time to time. I need to devote more time to using it, as its pretty cool. I get nice shots with it, if i make sure to keep the shutter speed up high, or stabilize well. First nice weather we get ill shoot some more with it!

I agree with you that sharpness isnt always the most important thing... character is good too. I never used the Kamlan i.... just the ii... but i see what you mean.  My version couldnt  match the sharpness of the 56 1.2, but i still have lots of great keepers

This is how it goes. You will "resonate" with some gear, and not so much with other gear. It's normal, but a nice part of the journey too.

For sure. If i had more money, id hang on to all lenses and see if i get more interested in them later... but as it is now, i tend to sell what i dont foresee using much to try out different options. It helps keep things fun and different

Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm 50-230mm Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +2 more
tjinsd

OmarCCX wrote:

My kit's just about completed since my wife bought the 23mm 1.4 and the 35mm .95. I got the Samyang 12mm, Voigtlander 15mm (need those sunstars and I like 21mm a lot) and the 56mm. I like all of these except the 23mm 1.4. It's just loud and annoying to use to me. I'd replace it with a Viltrox if my wife let me.

The only lenses left on my purchase list are the unreleased 18mm 1.4 and the 35mm 1.4.

My issue right now is I'm body less, so I've been using my wife's X-T2. I was gonna get an X-E4, but after renting the X-E3, I came to the conclusion I need a body with more buttons and a bigger EVF. But man that Xpro3 in durablack is expensive so I'm weighing my options slowly. 2 years is a long time to wait for an X-Pro4 with IBIS sadly.

So your issue with the 23 was the AF motor and noise.. and not image quality or focal length?  
i agree that the Pro3 with Durablack is sweet (amd expensive).  Fortunatly i have no complaints on the T3, and will happily wait for either the T5 or the Pro 4 in a couple years.

OmarCCX
OmarCCX Regular Member • Posts: 440

tjinsd wrote:

OmarCCX wrote:

So your issue with the 23 was the AF motor and noise.. and not image quality or focal length?
i agree that the Pro3 with Durablack is sweet (amd expensive). Fortunatly i have no complaints on the T3, and will happily wait for either the T5 or the Pro 4 in a couple years.

Pretty much. Although I dont find the 23 to render as special as the 35 or 56 to justify its annoyances. Im excited for the 18, hope it doesn't flop.

OmarCCX's gear list:OmarCCX's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +1 more
SteakTree Junior Member • Posts: 31

Great impressions.

I sold my XF 27 - but I actually loved the image quality and size of the lens but knew if I wanted it I’d rather have the aperture ring from the rumoured (at the time) XF27mm mkii. The other reason is that overall , I preferred the image quality, control, and experience of using my Kamlan 28 1.4. I highly recommend that lens, especially if you like the 50mm 1.1 II (I have that one as well and it very good). Good close focus distance too. I got mine with a metal hood like the 50 f1.1.

Have gone through several others including 18-55, 16 2.8, Rokinon all great. Have now happily settled for the 16-80 which is perfect for my X-E3. It’s my primary lens now as it is so versatile. Love it’s colour, bokeh and contrast. It has a bit of soft edges at the extremes of the zoom which can add a bit of character.

tjinsd

OmarCCX wrote:

tjinsd wrote:

OmarCCX wrote:

i agree that the Pro3 with Durablack is sweet (amd expensive). Fortunatly i have no complaints on the T3, and will happily wait for either the T5 or the Pro 4 in a couple years.

Pretty much. Although I dont find the 23 to render as special as the 35 or 56 to justify its annoyances. Im excited for the 18, hope it doesn't flop.

My main issue with buying the 23 is that for what it costs, i feel like i shoud just buy a used x100s or x100t... almost the same price as the 2.0, and cheaper than the 1.4... and i could carry it as a second body versus carrying the 23 lens.

tjinsd

SteakTree wrote:

Great impressions.

I sold my XF 27 - but I actually loved the image quality and size of the lens but knew if I wanted it I’d rather have the aperture ring from the rumoured (at the time) XF27mm mkii. The other reason is that overall , I preferred the image quality, control, and experience of using my Kamlan 28 1.4. I highly recommend that lens, especially if you like the 50mm 1.1 II (I have that one as well and it very good). Good close focus distance too. I got mine with a metal hood like the 50 f1.1.

Have gone through several others including 18-55, 16 2.8, Rokinon all great. Have now happily settled for the 16-80 which is perfect for my X-E3. It’s my primary lens now as it is so versatile. Love it’s colour, bokeh and contrast. It has a bit of soft edges at the extremes of the zoom which can add a bit of character.

I havent had a Rokinon on my X-T3.  I had a Rokinon 85 on my Sony A72 back when i had that... and it was one of my favorite lenses.  Granted...i didnt have any premium Sony lenses.

Now you've got me curious about that Kamlan 28.  For the price, might be fun to play with it, and try out that focal lenth.    Hmm...

Meetmer
Meetmer Senior Member • Posts: 1,074

tjinsd wrote:

Ive been using the X-T3 for a year now, and have tried out a number of lenses. Of the Fuji brand lenses, i tried:

27mm Pancake (i) Didnt care for it and promptly sold it. In particular, i hate not having an aperture ring. I concluded id never get one again that didnt have one. It also was one of the first lenses i used with this camera... and was still learning the settings. So a lot of bad shots, which i believe were operator error and not the lens. Might be curious to try the new version when available... depending on the 35mm.

16mm 1.4 Amazing lens. I didnt expect to like this lens nearly as much as i do, and i use it a lot.

56mm 1.2 Great lens. Bought it on its reputation, and not disappointed. Havent been using it as much as i would have thought... in part because i have three little girls, and its too tight to get them all in frame (indoors. Outdoors no problem). Its a keeper for now, but unsure of its future. In part because i got the brick, and its so awesome.

16-55 This lens is so wonderful. Anyone new to the system needs to try this lens out. Im normally a prime guy, but this lens is just so addictive.

50-230 Very affordable lens, with a good range, and more than acceptable quality for the price.

90mm I just listed this for sale. Sharp and great quality, but its a tough focal length to use to for me. Not close enough for many things, and too long for others.

So my go-to lenses right now are he 16mm and the 16-55 (and Mitakon 35mm when in he mood!). I plan to get either the 23mm or the 35mm 1.4.... but havent been able to decide which of the two to get. Leaning toward the 35mm...

i also had and sold the Kamlan 50mm ii (sold it when i got the 56mm).... but regret selling it a little. Was a fun lens and have a number of great shots from it.

My niche use of the 90 mm is for sports. It focuses fast and it’s great if you have kids. It’s razor sharp too. Also, it’s a great portrait lens if you have enough working space. My suggestion is keep that lens and try to figure out some applications.

doug

Meetmer's gear list:Meetmer's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +3 more
Valdai21 Regular Member • Posts: 332

27mm is very sharp, I'm interested into the WR version. 
16mm is amazing.

I had to many dust issues with the 56mm but maybe just me...

I don't use the 90 very often but I love it. 
As soon as you have enough space to work with, it's quite versatile. It's perfect for outdoor portraits and travel. I I like it better than the 56mm. 
Given your actual gear, I suggest the 35 1.4 because it's the smallest of the f/1,4 and it fits nicely between your 16 and 56.

William Loney
William Loney Regular Member • Posts: 416

tjinsd wrote:

Ive been using the X-T3 for a year now, and have tried out a number of lenses. Of the Fuji brand lenses, i tried:

27mm Pancake (i) Didnt care for it and promptly sold it. In particular, i hate not having an aperture ring. I concluded id never get one again that didnt have one. It also was one of the first lenses i used with this camera... and was still learning the settings. So a lot of bad shots, which i believe were operator error and not the lens. Might be curious to try the new version when available... depending on the 35mm.

Guess I'm old school. Gotta have those aperture rings as well.

16mm 1.4 Amazing lens. I didnt expect to like this lens nearly as much as i do, and i use it a lot.

I use X-T3s, and a couple of our lens choices overlap. Love the 16. It's essential for travel photography the way I shoot, and also really great for street. You can also force a nice blurry background out of it if you use it properly, and I've even done some 'pseudo' macro with it. Just gotta watch out for those converging verticals, and 'impossible horizons' when you go this wide!

56mm 1.2 Great lens. Bought it on its reputation, and not disappointed. Havent been using it as much as i would have thought... in part because i have three little girls, and its too tight to get them all in frame (indoors. Outdoors no problem). Its a keeper for now, but unsure of its future. In part because i got the brick, and its so awesome.

56 is studio workhorse for me for headshots, and head and shoulders portraits. You're right about needing distance for including more into a scene.

16-55 This lens is so wonderful. Anyone new to the system needs to try this lens out. Im normally a prime guy, but this lens is just so addictive.

50-230 Very affordable lens, with a good range, and more than acceptable quality for the price.

90mm I just listed this for sale. Sharp and great quality, but its a tough focal length to use to for me. Not close enough for many things, and too long for others.

My 90 is indispensable for certain aspects of what I do. It ain't going nowhere!

So my go-to lenses right now are he 16mm and the 16-55 (and Mitakon 35mm when in he mood!). I plan to get either the 23mm or the 35mm 1.4.... but havent been able to decide which of the two to get. Leaning toward the 35mm...

I've got the 23 f1.4. For my needs, it's perfect. As for 35, I have the f2. If it was me, I would have probably picked up the 35 f1.4, but the wife bought me the f2 long ago, and it's fantastic in the studio for seated portraits, where you want to see hands, or a prop/accessory. It looks really good wide open, but even better @ around f2.8-f4.

i also had and sold the Kamlan 50mm ii (sold it when i got the 56mm).... but regret selling it a little. Was a fun lens and have a number of great shots from it.

Also have the 50-140, which is marvelous. I use all of my lenses regularly, so, as you can imagine, I take a lot of images.

A couple of observations:

-I've never had a 'bad' Fuji lens. I see the term 'bad copy' appear here quite regularly, and it leaves me scratching my head. Have I just been incredibly lucky?

-I don't consider any of my lenses to be 'slow.' They all serve a purpose, and function very well for what they are intended for.

-I don't care about bokeh. I DO care about being able to get a nice uniform shallow depth of field to highlight, and direct the viewers eye to the focal point(s) of the subject. And this, I can easily achieve with the right lens, for the right circumstance.

William Loney's gear list:William Loney's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 +3 more
JoshuaRothman Forum Member • Posts: 71

This is next on my list, I think! You may have nudged me further in that direction.

I own too many lenses and need to start selling some off. I'm thinking of letting go of the 18/2, 23/2, 27/2.8, and 50-230; these are all great lenses, especially the 23/2, but when I look at my EXIF data I see that I rarely use them.

Besides the 16 1.4, the two that have stood out the most as my personal keepers so far are 35 1.4 and 14 2.8. I just love the images I get with the 35 1.4; the magic is real. And the 14 2.8 creates pictures that are dramatic and almost hyper-realistic in their sharpness. It's quite different from the 16 1.4 despite the apparent nearness in focal length. I've been surprised by how much I love it, as I don't see it hyped much online; I often leave the house with just the 14, and even use it for pictures of my kid:

I'm excited to hunt down a 16-55.

JoshuaRothman's gear list:JoshuaRothman's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
Tom Schum

tjinsd wrote:

I havent had a Rokinon on my X-T3. I had a Rokinon 85 on my Sony A72 back when i had that... and it was one of my favorite lenses. Granted...i didnt have any premium Sony lenses.

Now you've got me curious about that Kamlan 28. For the price, might be fun to play with it, and try out that focal lenth. Hmm...

I have a Rokinon 85mm F1.8, about the size of the Fuji 18-55 unlike the Samyang/Rokinon 85mm F1.4 which is a monster. The 85mm F1.8 is excellent optically but for any sort of action the autofocus of the Fuji 90mm will leave it in the dust, as shown by Meetmer below.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

tjinsd

Tom,

Have you used either the Kaman 28 or 21?  Interesting focal lengths.

I would probably be wise to keep the 90mm... once my girls get bigger and start playing sports or athletics would be a great Lens.  That could just be a while, and other focal lengths I could use more now

Tom Schum

JoshuaRothman wrote:

This is next on my list, I think! You may have nudged me further in that direction.

I own too many lenses and need to start selling some off. I'm thinking of letting go of the 18/2, 23/2, 27/2.8, and 50-230; these are all great lenses, especially the 23/2, but when I look at my EXIF data I see that I rarely use them.

Besides the 16 1.4, the two that have stood out the most as my personal keepers so far are 35 1.4 and 14 2.8. I just love the images I get with the 35 1.4; the magic is real. And the 14 2.8 creates pictures that are dramatic and almost hyper-realistic in their sharpness. It's quite different from the 16 1.4 despite the apparent nearness in focal length. I've been surprised by how much I love it, as I don't see it hyped much online; I often leave the house with just the 14, and even use it for pictures of my kid:

I'm excited to hunt down a 16-55.

I love this shot!  A world of endless mischief is wide open before him.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom Schum

tjinsd wrote:

Tom,

Have you used either the Kaman 28 or 21? Interesting focal lengths.

I would probably be wise to keep the 90mm... once my girls get bigger and start playing sports or athletics would be a great Lens. That could just be a while, and other focal lengths I could use more now

I have not used the KamLan 28 or 21.  Since I have a Rokinon 21mm F1.4, there is no need, and I hope to be getting an X-E4 kitted with the 27mm Mark II, so again no need.

There are a few threads about these KamLan lenses here in this forum, and the buzz is very very good.  They look like excellent optics, well built and a very good value.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads